McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AC-C45W.

It is a very odd plug with a short, hollow insulator and the terminal down inside.

Mark

attachment.php

Your number crosses to a CJ-8, which doesn't look like a TJ-6J at all, which does look like your IPL plug. Did you ever get your choke plate for the Timberbear lookalike?

Dumb question...........but can you run a standard plug and change the plug cap with that saw? If the 'business end' is the same as a J6, CJ8, or similar, then maybe you can run a more 'normal' plug by chainging the cap. That's a pretty low-profile looking plug cap (and not much plug is sticking out of the saw). Are there shrowd/cover clearance issues that necessitate that low-pro setup? I don't know butkis about BP-1's.

IIRC, one of my recent CL freebee saws has a cap like the one in the pic Mark posted. Didn't pull it to see if the plug terminal is 'normal' or recessed. That's nine saws in the last couple of weeks, and I can't remember which one it was. I'll go outside and check as soon as I can. Think it's the Wards/Remington SL-9.

Someone else also told me that plug crosses to a CJ-8 which may be the right heat range and thread configuration, but would require changing the boot to accomodate the different plug top.

Mark

You might run into top cover clearence issues.
Unless you have the "high top". lol J/K

I have bought from Harry as well. Many times.
But his prices are far higher than others. And he
also has limited inventory. You place an order
then he gets on the phone and finds it. Gets
shipped to him then shipped to you.

Lee

Just met Harry over the phone. He was upfront about if he didn't have it he would try to find it. He quickly located a part that has eluded me for months. Can't comment on prices as I don't have the experience nor typically the sources to shop around. I've given him a Christmas list so I'll soon have some idea of what he can get and if his prices are acceptable to me.

Any other sources for the 82cc ten series would be appreciated. I have used North City Mowers for some parts and the regular Ebay listers for other parts.

If any of you would like to comment on what spare parts I should be gathering for my SP125C, I would be pleased to hear from you.

As always thanks for all your advice. Right or wrong, I feel like I can trust MAC guys to at least try to steer me straight, a feeling that I don't get when I throw questions out in some other threads where all that seems to matter is what make, model or mods you run. Ron

Just met Harry over the phone. He was upfront about if he didn't have it he would try to find it. He quickly located a part that has eluded me for months. Can't comment on prices as I don't have the experience nor typically the sources to shop around. I've given him a Christmas list so I'll soon have some idea of what he can get and if his prices are acceptable to me.

Any other sources for the 82cc ten series would be appreciated. I have used North City Mowers for some parts and the regular Ebay listers for other parts.

If any of you would like to comment on what spare parts I should be gathering for my SP125C, I would be pleased to hear from you.

As always thanks for all your advice. Right or wrong, I feel like I can trust MAC guys to at least try to steer me straight, a feeling that I don't get when I throw questions out in some other threads where all that seems to matter is what make, model or mods you run. Ron

I have never heard of a 10 series that was 82cc
They were all 54cc's except the 6-10 and 7-10,
They were 70cc's

As for your SP125C, There a great and pretty dependable saw. If yours is complete and in nice shape i'd just go with the basic tune up stuff, Filters, sparkplug, points, condenser, and maybe a set of bar plates.

Lee

The CP50, 70, Pro Mac 55, 555, 700, 800, 805, 850 and SP60, 70, 80, and 81 are all considered 10 Series saws, the 800/805/850/80/81 are all 82 cc.

I may have missed a few here and there, like the whole G and LG (gear drive) grouping that also fall in the catagory of 10 Series. I suppose the Double Eagle is in the same family as well though I haven't had my hands on any.

Mark

I suppose the Double Eagle is in the same family as well though I haven't had my hands on any.

Mark

Mark, the DE 80 is essentially the same as the others except the carb is not mounted to the tank. It is mounted to a small manifold directly on the engine. There is a boot that seals the airbox. I assume this design was to eliminate one source of air leaks.

I believe the list of 82cc is SP80, SP81, SP81E, PM850, PM800, PM805, PM8200 and DE80. Acres lists a PM850 Super, but I have never seen one. Except for the PM850 Super, these saws are fairly plentiful and within the last 6 months or so I could have acquired pristine examples of each (except for the SP80) if I wanted to spend $300 to $400 a saw. I didn't. Ron

Hi Ron,

Apart from the other items mentioned by Lee, for your SP125C I would take a good look at the rubber intake boot to make sure that is in good condition and not about to fail. If you see any of these boots up for sale - grab them! They are a rare spare part to find. A spare ignition coil assembly would also be good to have on hand, as would a spare fuel supply line and pulse line.

The 125's are a good old saw, and can be made to really rumble without too much fuss.

Regards,

Chris.

Hey Ron
If you find a PM850 that is pretty, but seized and cheap, let me know, I have a really nice motor.

I picked up a NOS 850 cylinder & piston and have been looking for 6 months for a saw as you described. To date, I have found two on Ebay one brought almost $160.00 and the other slightly over $200.00 before shipping. I can't bring myself to spend that much for a nice but seized 850 when I can get a good running and pretty 800 off CL for $100 or less. On the other hand, I probably have more than $50.00 in NOS chain brake, muffler and recoil & cover for my yet to be built saw.

The saw in this thread was listed on CL for $30 and it runs although it is not quite as pretty as one of the above referenced non-runners. The OP beat me to it and he immediately put it on Ebay. It sold as is for almost $260 before shipping. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=154188&highlight

If I find any I'll pm you and let you figure out if the price is right. The trouble with CL is you have to act fast or find a saw that has been overlooked or a seller who won't ship and located is outside a chainsaw "market". Ron

As for your SP125C, There a great and pretty dependable saw. If yours is complete and in nice shape i'd just go with the basic tune up stuff, Filters, sparkplug, points, condenser, and maybe a set of bar plates.

Lee

Hi Ron,

Apart from the other items mentioned by Lee, for your SP125C I would take a good look at the rubber intake boot to make sure that is in good condition and not about to fail. If you see any of these boots up for sale - grab them! They are a rare spare part to find. A spare ignition coil assembly would also be good to have on hand, as would a spare fuel supply line and pulse line.

The 125's are a good old saw, and can be made to really rumble without too much fuss.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks. I have a NOS air filter, bar plates and bar adapter (for the slim bars). I have the rubber boot, fuel line and impulse line on my Christmas list. I also have the AV mounts on my list; mine are fine but based on my 82cc MAC experience they are bound to crumble at some point. The fuel lines are on Ebay regularly but I don't want to pay $55 for one. I see points from time to time on Ebay but I haven't seen any coils or plugs - I was hoping that these are parts common to many models. Are they??? If I was trying to restore it I would need the square muffler and cover as well as the yellow sawdust guard and a black flywheel cover. I'm happy with the round directional muffler and the yellow flywheel cover with a black sawdust guard.

Now about that "really rumble" part tell me more.

Thanks, Ron

PS Is there any way for the bar oil to be sucked into the engine? The oil tank empties pretty much with the fuel but with a 28" bar there is very little oil splatter. The seller, Sawbones, warned me that the oiler is weak but I don't know what that means for sure and I see no evidence of leaks or pooling.

Someone else also told me that plug crosses to a CJ-8 which may be the right heat range and thread configuration, but would require changing the boot to accomodate the different plug top.

Mark

I took a peek in the pile of saws I've gotten in the last couple of weeks. Found your BP-1 plug. It's in the most burried saw currently in the garage. Can't pull the saw out to read the markings on the plug until tomorrow morning (you should see my garage...). I could reach the cap and pull it off the plug. Was able to feel and see the funny military lookin' plug end. The cap (which is in beautiful shape, and looks like it came on the saw) and plug are identical to those in your IPL pic.

The saw is an early production (18017xx serial number) Homelite Super XL-12. The saw runs great with that plug. Don't know how it got there. The last owner died a couple of years ago, and the saw has been sitting in a garage ever since. My buddy rescued it from the dumpster as he was cleaning out the house for the widow. He gave it to me and I got it running with a tank flush out and a prime. Runs great now. Maybe needs a cab kit. It's wearing a 16" Windsor sprocket tip with a loop of sharp square chisel. The guy must've known something about saws...

If you want the plug it's yours. I'm going to want to swap the cap and plug for a 'conventional' type to match every other saw in the stable anyways. I'll pull the #'s off the plug in the moring and examine it further.

BTW-The Acres spark plug interchange chart lists a Champion TJ8J and a Bosch WS8E as cross refs for the AC C45W. Don't know if those plugs actualy have the same terminal type as your BP-1 plug. My Cutters Choice catalog cross's a Champion CJ14 and an NGK BM4A to the Bosch WS8E. That's doing "double cross referencing".......so take that info with a grain of salt. Does give you more to look at however.

Thanks Aaron, if you can spare the spark plug I'll take it. I promise I'll give it a good home.

Ron, points for the SP125 are very common (88807/57765) and are the same as used in the 1-70/80, 700/800, and large frame CP and SP saws.

The coil is the same as used on most any saw from the 1-40 all the way up to the SP125. If you have the chance to look at different coils, look for one with a red dot on it as they are supposed to be a high output coil. Acres lists the spark plug as AC CS45T or Champion J17LM and should not be any problem to find.

The automatic oiler is operated by crankcase pressure differential so if there is a leak, it can indeed pull bar oil into the crankcase.

If you need an IPL just PM me and I can send one.

Mark

Thanks Aaron, if you can spare the spark plug I'll take it. I promise I'll give it a good home.

Mark

Good deal. I'll send it in the box with the 77. Gives me the 'warm fuzzies' knowing that it will be installed in a running BP-1. Don't tell your rare McCulloch that the plug it's getting lived in a Homelite for a while...:hmm3grin2orange:

Good deal. I'll send it in the box with the 77. Gives me the 'warm fuzzies' knowing that it will be installed in a running BP-1. Don't tell your rare McCulloch that the plug it's getting lived in a Homelite for a while...:hmm3grin2orange:

Shouldn't be a problem, McCullochs have been feasting on Homelites for decades.

I have bought from Harry as well. Many times.
But his prices are far higher than others. And he
also has limited inventory. You place an order
then he gets on the phone and finds it. Gets
shipped to him then shipped to you.

Lee

Man you burst my fanatasy bubble, I had visions of an old warehouse with racks all the way to the cieling, stuffed with old dusty yellow boxes, just waiting for my next call. Oh well, reality is a b####. As for prices, I caught a few "specials" on bar/chain combos, and didn't get stung.
I'll still make the call when I need something.

Okay my new found MAC friends; I may have found an opportunity to reciprocate your kindness. Long story short, over the weekend I am to meet with the 3rd generation proprietor of a rural lawn mower and saw repair shop. He says he has 6 to 8 complete big old MACs as well as a number of Homelites and David Bradleys that were left in the family’s old shop he is cleaning out (it looks to me like he has been in his “new” shop for 30 years or more). He can’t hear very well and I was unable to talk him into letting me meet him at the old shop – says he’s got to move them anyway. I doubt he’ll have any thing I can use as I am not a collector but if you’ll let me know what you’re looking for I’ll see if he has it. He doesn’t know what saws he has beyond the general size and make so I’ll have to look. Whether he’ll show up with just the MAC’s or everything I don’t know. I asked if he had any old big pitch chain. He said “No.” As far as old parts he may have some clutches but he is not sure what has already been thrown out in the cleanup. Enjoy your dreams for now as this may be all this quest turns out to be. Ron

Latest posts

Back