McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a passage that let's the crankcase pressure differential operate a diaphragm/piston which in turn moved a small piston that pumps oil.

If there is a leak in the system, there is a possibility of oil being drawn from the oil tank into the crankcase. I think if your saw was pulling enough oil from the tank to draw down the level substantially, you would notice the exhaust turning blue.

Regarding the saws, 49, 73, CP125, and LG or other 10 Series gear drive, Super 550, 55, Super 55A, another BP-1...

Mark

There is a passage that let's the crankcase pressure differential operate a diaphragm/piston which in turn moved a small piston that pumps oil.

If there is a leak in the system, there is a possibility of oil being drawn from the oil tank into the crankcase. I think if your saw was pulling enough oil from the tank to draw down the level substantially, you would notice the exhaust turning blue.

Regarding the saws, 49, 73, CP125, and LG or other 10 Series gear drive, Super 550, 55, Super 55A, another BP-1...

Mark

Oiler:
No smoke, so I'm just going to watch the chain and go on. The draw down rate is pretty much tank for tank as it should be.

Saws:
Your list is in my wallet. Hope he has something you want. He said he wasn't including the ten series (which he is familar) in his count so we'll see. I could see myself with a Super 797 or a SP105. What I really want is my dad's old saw but I can't find it. From appearance I believe it was a 640 which I assume is a direct descendant from my grandfather's 1-61 which I do have.

Ron

Mark, if you're after a Super 55a, I could have my arm twisted about mine. I got the motor running, but there's oil leakage from the gear housing. Oil gets out and is making the clutch slip.

I'm starting a new job and really won't have time for projects. PM me and we'll work something out.

125 Beginner's lessons

I'm still dealing with a chain that dulls after the first cut, but I've learned one thing from wrestling all morning with a dull chained 125 at shoulder height - I don't want to wrestle anybody that can run a saw of this size all day. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Ron

TEN & TENS but no TEN-TENS

Always have to get the girls a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. I thought I would start early this year. I don't know why I hadn't noticed this one before ... maybe too short and squatty for the girls but I like it. Now if I only had a yellow saw to cut it.

attachment.php

Left to Right: PM800, PM850, PM8200, SP125C, 1-60, PM800, PM700, PM5700, PM800 and bottom center - DE80

Ron

The fuel lines are on Ebay regularly but I don't want to pay $55 for one. I see points from time to time on Ebay but I haven't seen any coils or plugs - I was hoping that these are parts common to many models.

Hi Ron,

It sounds like you are getting a collection of spares for your 125 and that is good.
The coil / lamination assembly for the SP125C Part No. is 85243. I believe that this coil assembly was applicable to the SP125/125C, the SP105, and the 895C saws, as the earlier type lamination (fitted to saws such as the 797 and CP125 etc) will not fit the later style cylinder mounting bosses. The coil and lamination are fixed together on the 85243 assembly, and should not be separated.

The sawdust guards and correct mufflers are available, however the muffler guards are another item which can be difficult to find (Part No. 85459). Like the rubber intake boots - if you find any of these muffler guards - snap them up immediately!

Below is a photo showing the coil mounting boss arrangement of the CP125 cylinder and an SP125 cylinder. The SP125 is the one in the front.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

Always have to get the girls a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. I thought I would start early this year. I don't know why I hadn't noticed this one before ... maybe too short and squatty for the girls but I like it. Now if I only had a yellow saw to cut it.

attachment.php

Left to Right: PM800, PM850, PM8200, SP125C, 1-60, PM800, PM700, PM5700, PM800 and bottom center - DE80

Ron

I could send you my Devil Beaver 2.0 to cut it down but you better start today so you get through that thing before Christmas! :laugh:

attachment.php

Ron

I like the PM800's and the DE80! Nice collection of Mac saws!

Hi Ron,

It sounds like you are getting a collection of spares for your 125 and that is good.
The coil / lamination assembly for the SP125C Part No. is 85243. I believe that this coil assembly was applicable to the SP125/125C, the SP105, and the 895C saws, as the earlier type lamination (fitted to saws such as the 797 and CP125 etc) will not fit the later style cylinder mounting bosses. The coil and lamination are fixed together on the 85243 assembly, and should not be separated.

The sawdust guards and correct mufflers are available, however the muffler guards are another item which can be difficult to find (Part No. 85459). Like the rubber intake boots - if you find any of these muffler guards - snap them up immediately!

Below is a photo showing the coil mounting boss arrangement of the CP125 cylinder and an SP125 cylinder. The SP125 is the one in the front.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks, Ron

attachment.php

Ron

Nice pic,:cheers::cheers:

PM650 Carb?

Does anyone know why the K10-HDB kit has two gaskets that look the same but one is rubber the other is normal gasket material? The carb only has the rubber one when I took it apart.

attachment.php

Do I just use the rubber one and ignore the other one assuming some HDB carbs use that one instead?

Does anyone know why the K10-HDB kit has two gaskets that look the same but one is rubber the other is normal gasket material? The carb only has the rubber one when I took it apart.

attachment.php

Do I just use the rubber one and ignore the other one assuming some HDB carbs use that one instead?

Well, you have a 50% chance of being correct. Are the 2 replacement fuel pump gaskets the same thickness? Is this the first time that the carb has been rebuilt? Send a call out for Fish, he would know. :popcorn:

Well, you have a 50% chance of being correct. Are the 2 replacement fuel pump gaskets the same thickness? Is this the first time that the carb has been rebuilt? Send a call out for Fish, he would know. :popcorn:

They appear to be the same thickness but different materials. Who is Fish?

Is there a filter for this larger fuel line like the nice solid Husky ones but with a larger barbed connection? The carb is full of the felt from the old fuel filter so I need to upgrade.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back