McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weak oiler

Sawbones warned me that the 125 he sold me had a weak oiler. And I noticed very little oil splatter at the end of the bar but the oil tank is almost empty and I still have some fuel. No evidence on any leaks or pooling. Where might it be going? I'm using Sthil bar oil. Thanks, Ron

42 inch Cannon bar, cookies, etc.

Just rushed home to bid on the 42 inch Cannon bar only to arrive 2 minutes too late. Hope one of you guys got it. If it is any good, it went for a reasonable price $41.00 and $17.00 shipping.

I've never cut a "cookie" before but I made some 40" by 12" ones since my last post as the yard boss said he wanted 12" stove wood out of the poplar. I left with 9 or 10 more to cut; most will be from the butt so they'll get bigger as I go. I ask him how much wood had been delivered so far this Fall to needy families and he said around 115 loads. He expects we'll do 700 to 800 loads before Spring. Last year was 450+. There are a lot of folks hurting in this economy.

I hope a chain question is acceptable on this thread. I don't know what I got yesterday from the Husky dealer for the 125 but I'm spending almost as much time sharpening as I am cutting. Granted the wood has a dirty side but I cut worse all the time. I'll pull it off and let you guys know what it is.

Thanks, Ron

Husky Chain

The Husky chain that is giving me fits is a H42 which is a chisel chain. I don't know who makes it. Dealer gave me a big spill about how oregon chain is the best there is so I thought that was the brand of chain he used in making the the loop. I run Sthil RSC all the time in similar and worst conditions. I also use the Carlton full chisel that comes on the MAC bars I buy on Ebay; IMO it is not as sharp as the Stihl nor does it doesn't stay sharp as long but it sure last longer than this H42 loop I got. Fluke or to be expected? Local Sthil dealer won't make loops so I have to special order them which means two trips. Thanks, Ron

"Ahh the ringing, I think that is what is telling me to start wearing hearing protection, before it gets worse. I already cant sleep with complete silence. Need to start digging through my shooting stuff to find my ear plugs."

Get something now. I don't know how old you are (i.e. how far gone you are already), but the sooner you protect yourself the better unless you like what RandyMac describes or just nodding your head a lot - once you damaged your hearing there's no going back.

I enjoy your writeups - keep it at it. Ron

I am thirty and have spent most of my life without using any ppe of any sort. I am slowly starting to use more and more safety equipment, and hearing protection is one of them. Problem is I am so used to not using anything it is usually an afterthought. In all seriousness though I am hearing what you and Randy are saying, and I am trying to break old habits.

Just rushed home to bid on the 42 inch Cannon bar only to arrive 2 minutes too late. Hope one of you guys got it. If it is any good, it went for a reasonable price $41.00 and $17.00 shipping.

I've never cut a "cookie" before but I made some 40" by 12" ones since my last post as the yard boss said he wanted 12" stove wood out of the poplar. I left with 9 or 10 more to cut; most will be from the butt so they'll get bigger as I go. I ask him how much wood had been delivered so far this Fall to needy families and he said around 115 loads. He expects we'll do 700 to 800 loads before Spring. Last year was 450+. There are a lot of folks hurting in this economy.

I hope a chain question is acceptable on this thread. I don't know what I got yesterday from the Husky dealer for the 125 but I'm spending almost as much time sharpening as I am cutting. Granted the wood has a dirty side but I cut worse all the time. I'll pull it off and let you guys know what it is.

Thanks, Ron

I just missed that one. I am at work today and got a call and missed it. Oh well I want a .36" bar anyway.

I started another thread "Adventures in chainsaw collecting" with some other photo's of saws & parts I found this week.

Here is the best piece, the McCulloch BP-1

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The top cover has a small piece broken out as does the air filter cover but neither will keep the saw from working. This saw was obviously used quite a bit, but not severly abused. I have a NOS air filter which will be needed as the one in the saw has a hole in it. All in all I am pretty happy with how the week ended...
Mark

Last edited:
I also picked up a CP55; I already have a CP70 so now I only need a CP125 to have the full CP set.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In addition, I gained two Super 33's, but neither had the front handle bar. I will use some leftover half wraps from 35's I have on hand but hope to find at least one of the "full wrap" style to make the saw like original again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I also picked up a CP55; I already have a CP70 so now I only need a CP125 to have the full CP set.

In addition, I gained two Super 33's, but neither had the front handle bar. I will use some leftover half wraps from 35's I have on hand but hope to find at least one of the "full wrap" style to make the saw like original again.

[Mark

Nice. I'm curious as just what is your occupation that takes you all over the world and seemly leads you down old hidden paths to MAC gold? Ron

Congratulations on the BP-1 Mark!!!! that is a nice find for sure. It looks like it will clean up really well, and make another nice addition to your McCulloch collection.

Those Super 33's are some mean looking pieces of old Mac iron as well.

Fanatstic score - no wonder you are pleased!!!!!

Regards,

Chris.

Ron - The company I work for manufactures equipment used in feed milling, grain processing, oil seed extraction, and all kinds of other grinding and flaking applications.

I travel for sales, service, training, basically insuring our customers get the very best performance from our equipment. There is a lot of soybean processing in IA, IL, IN, OH, not as much in KS, NE, SD, MN, MO, KY, AL, GA, NC, SC, and DELMARVA. I spend most of my time on the oil seed processing side of our business which means among other things regular trips to Argentina as well.

Chris, I like the way they made the Super 33 with a yellow and black color scheme. I have a few photo's of another BP-1 that has a different color scheme than the one I found. Amazing that a saw with a production run of less than 1 year had color scheme variations but that seems to have been the McCulloch way of doing things.

Mark

Last edited:
I started another thread "Adventures in chainsaw collecting" with some other photo's of saws & parts I found this week.

Here is the best piece, the McCulloch BP-1

attachment.php

The top cover has a small piece broken out as does the air filter cover but neither will keep the saw from working. This saw was obviously used quite a bit, but not severly abused. I have a NOS air filter which will be needed as the one in the saw has a hole in it. All in all I am pretty happy with how the week ended...
Mark

Nice find on the BP-1, Looks like it will clean up nice.:cheers:
When you get to working on the carb, What are you going to do
for gaskets and diaphragm?
I have a BP-1 too. I need to do the carb on it.

Cliff - I'm not sure what I will do, from the looks of the fuel tank the the out side of the carburetor, it might not need anything. We just have to see what happens.

As I mentioned in the "Adventures in chainsaw collecting" thread, there is another Wasp in the pile as well. If you're interested I'll ask them to set it aside for my next trip up there. Looks to be in better shape than the one I sent along earlier.

Mark

Hello ,new member here.
Well yesterday I picked up a Mac saw.
It is an Eager Beaver model 6000 16A (1989?)
It has good compression and spark but is not getting fuel.It will start if I prime the carb.
I took it apart and cleaned the engine,fuel tank,etc-.I did not disasemble the carb in fear of destroying the gaskets.
I think the carb needs a new kit.I believe it is a Zama M1-M7.
Is this saw worth fixing or good for parts?
What do u mac experts think.
Thanks,Kurt
DSCN0677.jpg

Last edited:
rg50:
I think the carb needs a new kit.I believe it is a Zama M1-M7.
Is this saw worth fixing or good for parts?
I got a kit for a Zama at my local Orschlens Farm & Home. Was $11 if I remember correctly. Check the vendors at the top of the page.

Don't go overboard on the little top handle saws. They can be got for 30-40 bucks on Ebay and the shipping puts you upside down right out of the gate.

I picked up one at a local pawn shop in nearly mint condition for $43.08 O.T.D..:clap:

Unlike some on this thread (Ahem!) I like the little ankle biters. Ain't that right 8433jeff?:biggrinbounce2:

Mac finds

I don't see how you have time to rebuild as many saws as you find. Hint hint. I find that I can bring home a lot of stuff, but somehow time gets away and projects stack up.

Ron - The company I work for manufactures equipment used in feed milling, grain processing, oil seed extraction, and all kinds of other grinding and flaking applications.

I travel for sales, service, training, basically insuring our customers get the very best performance from our equipment. There is a lot of soybean processing in IA, IL, IN, OH, not as much in KS, NE, SD, MN, MO, KY, AL, GA, NC, SC, and DELMARVA. I spend most of my time on the oil seed processing side of our business which means among other things regular trips to Argentina as well.

Chris, I like the way they made the Super 33 with a yellow and black color scheme. I have a few photo's of another BP-1 that has a different color scheme than the one I found. Amazing that a saw with a production run of less than 1 year had color scheme variations but that seems to have been the McCulloch way of doing things.

Mark

rg50:

I got a kit for a Zama at my local Orschlens Farm & Home. Was $11 if I remember correctly. Check the vendors at the top of the page.

Don't go overboard on the little top handle saws. They can be got for 30-40 bucks on Ebay and the shipping puts you upside down right out of the gate.

I picked up one at a local pawn shop in nearly mint condition for $43.08 O.T.D..:clap:

Unlike some on this thread (Ahem!) I like the little ankle biters. Ain't that right 8433jeff?:biggrinbounce2:

I like them-in a box with near the other saws I won't/can't fix now. Did the kit from Orschlens have the needle in it? The kit for that saw with the needle in it is 3 x that price, people say that they're cheaper but never can tell me where. If you could get the things you need to fix them (I need at least two needles) I could have an army of them in short order. Then I could be the king of the termites LOL.

I like them-in a box with near the other saws I won't/can't fix now. Did the kit from Orschlens have the needle in it? The kit for that saw with the needle in it is 3 x that price, people say that they're cheaper but never can tell me where. If you could get the things you need to fix them (I need at least two needles) I could have an army of them in short order. Then I could be the king of the termites LOL.

:ices_rofl:

Didn't need a kit for the top handle Beaver. The kit I got was for my 2014 w/Zama. Our local Orschlens sells Poulan, Echo and Stihl so their service dept. keeps all sorts of generic kits on hand. They used to sell Mac years ago also.

Almost every kit I have bought came off that big auction site except for the few I have got from Calvin when he has them. They are alway $8 to $12 and always have the needle, lever etc in them.

Nice. I'm curious as just what is your occupation that takes you all over the world and seemly leads you down old hidden paths to MAC gold? Ron

I am pretty sure if you read the "fine print" of the sales orders for Mark's place of employment you would see:

Must have and transmit carnal knowledge of over 80cc McCulloch saw loction before delivery can occur.

Back