McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7-10a

Inherited this from my wife's uncle 3 years ago. 20" hardnose bar. Typical morning cutting wood is 2 tanks through this saw, 2 tanks through the 028S, haul it home, split with maul,then call it a day. Ugly as sin but very good original wear and tear. It originally sold in the Milford IL area.I have mastered the 2-pull method to get it started, something I've noticed non-MAC types seam to think can't be done! Hope the attachment works out, I've never tried adding to a post. Oh yeah, the Model 35 in my sig is retired, as it should be.

I have a Pro Mac 610, which i bought somewhere around 1983 or 1984 and that thing still runs strong as an ox. I have never had to do anything to the engine. I still use it today. Had my stihl 3-4 years and the bearing are shot already.

Will a bar from a Homey 330 fit a Promac 800?

The bars have different sized slots. According to the book, the Homey bar is the wider, so make it fit the good saw with a rewind spring or other shim. Shake off or kill the homelice first. The adjuster and oiler holes should work, but its your saw so make sure. And make sure the bar doesn't wilt or flex with the yellow power instead of the red power. Paint is also in order here, you don't want the other Macs to know the Promac is shlepping that thing around.

If the bar is not a direct fit I won't use it. I found several 3/8x70link chains, now i just need to scrouge a bar up. Baileys catalog says an Echo 20" bar will fit. but the one from my 500 takes 72 drives. Maybe I should just get a Mcculloch bar and keep it looking original.

The bars have different sized slots. According to the book, the Homey bar is the wider, so make it fit the good saw with a rewind spring or other shim. Shake off or kill the homelice first. The adjuster and oiler holes should work, but its your saw so make sure. And make sure the bar doesn't wilt or flex with the yellow power instead of the red power. Paint is also in order here, you don't want the other Macs to know the Promac is shlepping that thing around.

Hah ha, you used "homelice", my brother said that back in the mid '70s while going through a pile of little EZs. They plauged his shop, he did make them all work.

I had the opportunity to run my 7-10 over the holiday weekend (actually on Thanksgiving day) and I continue to be impressed and have fun with that saw.

I know that my 036 Stihl is a bit easier on the hands to operate, but when the jobs aren't too big running the 7-10 makes the job a lot more fun.

I also ran my newly acquired CP55, I really like the way that one works as well and it does have pretty decent antivibration.

Mark

Anybody snag those two 32" roller nose bars on ebay today. I missed them, I was out learning how to climb and forgot all about them. Went for a good price!

Be sure to post a video of you climbing with the 797 and 42" bar. It will make some us of seniors cringe, and the young guys shout with glee.

Mark

LOL, still have the upper most part of the crown to come down yet. And just to take a photo that has been considered. I think I would have to leave the 28" on though, dont know if gravity would allow me to get high enough to get the 54" off the ground. Next time the rest of the tree should come down all the way and will leave me with some fair size logs for the 797.

Don't know about 2 but one
is heading my way. And at
a very good price.

Lee

I dont feel so bad now, they are going to good homes. If I would have been around I just would have been bidding against you guys anyway LOL. Hope that guy has another couple of .063 gauge bars to put up. Need one for the 797.:cheers:

Anybody snag those two 32" roller nose bars on ebay today. I missed them, I was out learning how to climb and forgot all about them. Went for a good price!

a very good price.

Lee

I had one of those bars for days as high bidder.
I missed the end of the auction too.:cry:

Real good price. I paid a lot more than that for the one I got from him a short time ago. :cry::cry::cry: If I'd known he would list so many I would have waited. Who got the mint looking Super 250 that ended last night? I almost got it but didn't bid boldly enough. Just as well, the kids need Christmas gifts more than I do. ;) I think it went for a good price considering it's condition.

a very good price.

Lee

LOL, still have the upper most part of the crown to come down yet. And just to take a photo that has been considered. I think I would have to leave the 28" on though, dont know if gravity would allow me to get high enough to get the 54" off the ground. Next time the rest of the tree should come down all the way and will leave me with some fair size logs for the 797.

I dont feel so bad now, they are going to good homes. If I would have been around I just would have been bidding against you guys anyway LOL. Hope that guy has another couple of .063 gauge bars to put up. Need one for the 797.:cheers:

I had one of those bars for days as high bidder.
I missed the end of the auction too.:cry:

I got the other bar! I'd have bid higher on the one Lee got (crap I'm glad I didn't bid against Lee), but the seller didn't list the bar gauge or the #'s stamped on the bar. He also ignored the question I sent him a couple of days before the auction ended. He sells a few bars every couple of weeks (or at least has done so over the last couple of months). Some have been .063g (as mine was listed as) but most have been .058g. Baileys lists .404/.063 for good prices. They don't list .404/.058 (in the catalog or website), but probably sell it. I don't want to run 3/8" on my big Macs.

The other reason I wanted to know the numbers stamped on the bar (and he has listed them in most of his Cannon and Oregon RN bar listings these last couple of months) is because Cannon numbers tell you quite a bit. My bar was listed with "MC3163R" which of course translates to McCulloch, 31", .063G, roller nose. He listed the bar as a 32" bar (not 31"). I bid on it knowing I was getting a 31". The 30" Cannon I got with my XP1020 has HO3063R stamped on it. The guy that sold me the saw described it as having a 36" bar. That's a neat trick, since the overall length of that bar is 35.5"...:laugh:

Sorry Cliff. I was high bidder on the bar I got until the last day. Had my snipes set for both bars though. Had the one I won set much higher than I had to pay. Sometimes it works out that way. Since you were high bidder on the other bar for all but the last day, then that means you were bidding on Lee's bar. Kinda funny that all three of us were eyeing the same bar. I'd had the snipe set up for Lee's bar at $25.99 and he got it for $26! That was a damn good deal, even if it turns out to be .058g and less than 32"...:D

I'm quite sure that seller will have more RN bars up. He's had about 20 on the block over the last couple of months. Dunno where he got that stash, but I'd sure like to find out...:cheers:

Last edited:
Guess what I found today?

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...7e0630b1c9171fef88256b0000653812?OpenDocument

2 of them. They look complete too....

Since the 33/35/39 saws look a bit different from from most, many sellers believe thye have something very unique, old, and rare.

The fact is, the 33/35 were very common and popular saws and there were quite a few produced. It is not uncommon to find a running saw today that someone still uses regularly.

They are rather heavy for a 50 cc saw, but with the gear drive have tremendous torque and can be decent cutters.

There were a whole range of attachments for the 33/35 model saws like a brush cutter, ice auger, and a drill/auger attachment for boring holes in wood. I have one (non runner currently) with the drill attachment that was sold as a "dynamite auger" for boring holes in stumps to insert dynamite and blast the stumps out.

I also have (non runner as well) a LeSabre which is basically the 35 power head laid on it's "side" with a bar attached to the left. There are some photo's a ways back in this thread.

Mark

Well I should have known you would know what they were...I was hoping it was something that you would get excited about. This guy used to be a Mac dealer, he has tons of stuff. He even has an old sign too.

Latest posts

Back