McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the SP125C in some nice big (for me) red oak last Saturday with my new 36" bar. I loved running it. However, I managed to "shred" a 2 cm segment of the interlining of my right caroid artery while moving a 52" oak biscuit out of the county road. I was just released from the stroke ward a couple of hours ago (injury is in an inoperatable area of my head so I got to come home early with no surgery). Treatment is very simple - blood thinners and various activity limitations for 3 to 6 months. Specifically, no firewood cutting, loading etc. When an MRA shows complete healing and no indications of likely reoccurance, then restrictons may be modified somewhat. So for now my future use of any of my MACs is in serious doubt. If I hadn't had to stop to meet up with the shop owner regarding the unidentified MACs mentioned in my earlier posts, I would probably be dead. God is gracious.

I'll follow up with you guys on the status of the other MACs when I am able. Ron :)

PS I note from the various birthday posts that several of us are mid fifties vintage. If you ever get a headache that you can only describe as the worse headache of your life - get yourself to the ER as it could be your last headache. Same goes for you younger bucks. :)

Wow Ron! Sorry to hear what happened but I'm sure glad that you are alive. Surviving a traumatic brain injury has a way of giving the person a whole new appreciation and outlook on life. I will keep you in my prayers, & hope you'll have a quick recovery.

Take care.

Vince

Close Call

Ron, you're one of the lucky (or wise) ones. I'm sorry to hear of your condition. Take some down time, in the recliner, with a laptop... and read and post. Let the meds do their job and follow the doc's orders. Take care of yourself.
P.S. Fellow members, thanks for the rep. Heck, I just learned what the "reputation" icons are all about.

I put the SP125C in some nice big (for me) red oak last Saturday with my new 36" bar. I loved running it. However, I managed to "shred" a 2 cm segment of the interlining of my right caroid artery while moving a 52" oak biscuit out of the county road. I was just released from the stroke ward a couple of hours ago (injury is in an inoperatable area of my head so I got to come home early with no surgery). Treatment is very simple - blood thinners and various activity limitations for 3 to 6 months. Specifically, no firewood cutting, loading etc. When an MRA shows complete healing and no indications of likely reoccurance, then restrictons may be modified somewhat. So for now my future use of any of my MACs is in serious doubt. If I hadn't had to stop to meet up with the shop owner regarding the unidentified MACs mentioned in my earlier posts, I would probably be dead. God is gracious.

I'll follow up with you guys on the status of the other MACs when I am able. Ron :)

PS I note from the various birthday posts that several of us are mid fifties vintage. If you ever get a headache that you can only describe as the worse headache of your life - get yourself to the ER as it could be your last headache. Same goes for you younger bucks. :)

Thank God you're still with us Ron. We're praying for a speedy and full recovery for you. I get BAD migraine headaches, so I have to be very careful about not missing a stroke for 'just another migraine'. Was diagnosed with Migraines about five years ago. Was at work and had what turned out to be an "occular migraine" which is where you get much (or all) of your vision blocked by 'stars' or stuff that looks like sunspots. Didn't have any headache, but felt freaked out. Work folks whisked me away to the hospital where they did all kinds of scans and such. No stroke thank God. Turns out, the headaches and such that I've had for decades are migraines afterall. Since then, I've had more than a few whoppers that I was a bit worried about. Always go through the 'stroke checklist' when they happen...

Many of the early 10-10's had the right hand start, nothing wierd about that.

Once you use one for a while you will wonder why the ever moved the starter to the other side.

Mark

I thought I was the only one that actually liked the RH start Macs...

I have to admit that the RH start setup on my 790 is actualy growing on me. May not convert it to LH start afterall. I've already gotten used to it, and the saw starts pretty easy. Gonna have to clean up and repaint or replace the RH starter cover on that saw (if I indeed stay with RH start) as it's pretty beat. May be too worn and corroded to bother with the original cover.

Never did warm up to the RH start on the 77 however. Guess it didn't 'fit' me for some reason. Part of the reason for that may be because I was always starting it with the bar off of the saw.

Mark, the 77 is finaly on its way. Kept getting delayed every day this week. Sorry for the slacking. Had to put it in a big damn box, as it's taller than 'normal' saws. Tons of newspaper, foam chunks, carpet pad pieces, and other crap in there to take up the space and keep it from moving. Double bagged it with trash bags to keep the fumes in. Put a piece of clear tape over the fuel cap vent. Kinda hard to see with a quick glance. The chain and bumper spike are in a ziplock bag and wrapped in some cardboard and D-tape in the box with the powerhead. I reused your bar box for the bar. I owe you a bar nut, as I only had one. The prior owner had replaced the front bar stud with a coarse threead bolt (the studs are fine thread), and the fellow that sent me a stud (and the bumper spike) didn't send a bar nut. Maybe the shorty plug I sent you (see below) makes up for that...:(

Wrapped up the short, goofy lookin' Champion TJ8J plug for your BP-1 and taped it under the top of the handlebar. It's a bit crusty, but should clean up well. The saw it came out of ran fine with it. The insulator and electrodes look to be in good shape. BTW-I took the outer terminal end off of a CJ8 type plug (crusty old Autolite 254 from a parts XL12) and installed it in the SXL12 that had your plug. The "BP-1 Type" cap slid onto the threaded terminal end with a bit of force, and the saw started and ran fine with it. Looks a bit goofy, and will be replaced with a 'normal' cap soon. I saw a Homelite XL100 circular saw that had this same style of shorty plug and "BP-1 Type" cap recently. Don't know if Homelite sold some saws with it, of if mine (and the one on the XL100) were swapped on. Who knows....

I put the girls to work on finding the grip. It was wrapped up in a random wad of paper!....:cheers:

Last edited:
Threshold of pain.

Found the threshold of pain the other night. Was triggering the 10-10A while watching the oil port at the bar mount looking for signs of life. Right ear just over the muffler exhaust. Gave it WOT for a short and then went and put on my shooting ear muffs.

The PM 10-10S is much quieter.

Not quite sure why that saw series is so freakin' loud. Ran my PM 10-10 right before starting my 250 (which just has a 'stack' muffler). The 250 sounded quieter, and more pleasant to me, even with that short open stack.....:laugh:

Many of the early 10-10's had the right hand start, nothing wierd about that.

Once you use one for a while you will wonder why the ever moved the starter to the other side.

Mark

Since I have been messing with the 797 for awhile now, I have got realy comfortable with the right hand start. When I go back to another saw I kind of sit there and scratch my head and figure out what I did before. Kind of wish the right hand start stuck myself. No need for flush cutting stumps, thats what stump grinders are for.;)

As to the noise, I havnt got my 10-10 running yet. Think I need a carb kit. The Super 250 was not as loud as I expected. I think my 044 might be just a hair louder. Or at least the frequency is harsher on my ears LOL. But none the less, they are loud enough I am sure all my neighbors love me.

Thanks for your prayers and kind posts. I have not felt well enough to follow up on the saws nor to bring you up to date on what I've learned.

I note that there are several two man saws on EBay - maybe that is what I'll need next Fall - with of course two young men to run it - I have a reasonable shot at it if my single daughters will cooperate. ;) Ron

Since I have been messing with the 797 for awhile now, I have got realy comfortable with the right hand start. When I go back to another saw I kind of sit there and scratch my head and figure out what I did before. Kind of wish the right hand start stuck myself. No need for flush cutting stumps, thats what stump grinders are for.;)

As to the noise, I havnt got my 10-10 running yet. Think I need a carb kit. The Super 250 was not as loud as I expected. I think my 044 might be just a hair louder. Or at least the frequency is harsher on my ears LOL. But none the less, they are loud enough I am sure all my neighbors love me.

I'm still not crazy about having the starter on the 'dirty' side of the saw, or having all that stuff in the clutch cover (same with chainbrakes). However, McCulloch obviously got it right, as those RH starter setups seem to be as reliable as their LH starter setups.

If your 044 seems a 'hair' louder and harsher on your ears compared to the Super 250........................well then just wait until you run your 10-10. To my ears, my ProMac 10-10 (which has the 'best' muffler of the 10-10 saws) sounds much more harsh than the big old McCullochs and Homelites..............even those wearing simple open stack mufflers...:laugh:

I dunno, I am a lefty but the right hand start has really grown on me. Although I start it from the ground too, havnt had it up on a log or anything like that yet.

Right now my 10-10 is the quietest saw I have. Hopefully a new carb kit will fix that.

hey Randy

Check out what I found hiding in the back of my father's shop;
attachment.php

Looks solid, wonder if it'll start
attachment.php

darn nice loop of oregon chain, looks nice and sharp.
attachment.php

more details to come!

Pm 650

I just got my Stihl fuel filters for the PM 650. There is NO way that filter is going in the old line, it's too stiff to stretch over the barb. Does anyone know what the correct line size (OD/ID) is? The hole in the tank is pretty small but that could be drilled out. It's a very rough drill job anyway...

:confused::dizzy::confused:

I just got my Stihl fuel filters for the PM 650. There is NO way that filter is going in the old line, it's too stiff to stretch over the barb. Does anyone know what the correct line size (OD/ID) is? The hole in the tank is pretty small but that could be drilled out. It's a very rough drill job anyway...

:confused::dizzy::confused:

You can't go any wider than will fit on the carb inlet. New line may fit over the filter. I'm thinking 1/4" OD. For what its worth, the old style is the way to go. I've had a couple filters of the style I think you have, and they tend to crack or break where the line goes back to normal. Gas sucks nowadays, wish there was a different fuel, but it'll last a while (couple years anyways).

You can't go any wider than will fit on the carb inlet. New line may fit over the filter. I'm thinking 1/4" OD. For what its worth, the old style is the way to go. I've had a couple filters of the style I think you have, and they tend to crack or break where the line goes back to normal. Gas sucks nowadays, wish there was a different fuel, but it'll last a while (couple years anyways).

Good point. The barb on the old filter is 1/4 o.d. looks like carb is basically the same. If I have thin wall 1/4 od line it probably would work good. Guess I will have to stop at the saw shop tomorrow...

I figured this is the best place to ask....what is the drive link count for 32", 34" and 36" Mcculloch bars? .375 x 50ga

Thanks

Good point. The barb on the old filter is 1/4 o.d. looks like carb is basically the same. If I have thin wall 1/4 od line it probably would work good. Guess I will have to stop at the saw shop tomorrow...

Gee............................too bad.

We know you just hate stopping there.

That reminds me, I havn't checked the pawn shops lately. Better go today.

Gee............................too bad.

That reminds me, I havn't checked the pawn shops lately. Better go today.

I ended up with 1/4 OD, 1/8 ID will take the Husky style filter and still fit on carb.

Never stopped at a pawn shop or a thrift store for saws...sounds dangerous...:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back