McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as I posted earlier, I went to start the Super 250 today. While on vacation during Thanksgiving I found some DJ8J plugs. Have had a real hard time finding down here. So before I went to start it I changed plugs. The one that was in there came highly recommended to toss. So after that I tried to start it and it just flooded. So I pulled that plug let it air out, and then put the old plug back in to try. Still nothing, just flooding so I put it away until I had more time to mess with it. Its been bothering me all day. So after dinner I went out into the garage just to check and make sure I had spark. Well I found I never put the boot back on the plug. I am pretty sure I put the boot on the first time I think, but the second attempt I know for sure it wasnt. I did test for spark, and made sure the I put the boot back on. I hope now it will start up next time LOL.:cheers:

Well as I posted earlier, I went to start the Super 250 today. While on vacation during Thanksgiving I found some DJ8J plugs. Have had a real hard time finding down here. So before I went to start it I changed plugs. The one that was in there came highly recommended to toss. So after that I tried to start it and it just flooded. So I pulled that plug let it air out, and then put the old plug back in to try. Still nothing, just flooding so I put it away until I had more time to mess with it. Its been bothering me all day. So after dinner I went out into the garage just to check and make sure I had spark. Well I found I never put the boot back on the plug. I am pretty sure I put the boot on the first time I think, but the second attempt I know for sure it wasnt. I did test for spark, and made sure the I put the boot back on. I hope now it will start up next time LOL.:cheers:

Always have your woman help you with checking for spark, your choice whether she holds the plug or the starter rope.

No serial numbers on bottom of Super 250

I just picked up a nice looking Super 250 with a 36" bar. I wanted to check the serial numbers to see if it was an 80cc or 87cc saw. I have sanded yellow paint off the right and left side of the bottom of the crank case in the spot were they usually are to find no markings. Are there numbers any other place on the outside of the saw? Is there any other place to look or should I try to measure the stroke with the wire in the cylinder trick. I think its a later one I have looked at pictures mine has the plastic knob for the air cleaner cover and the grill around the pull cord is plastic as well. Any help or info would be great Thanks.

The serial number on mine was a metal tag that on attached to the oil tank cover. If you pull the air filter cover off you should be able to see it. There should be other numbers stamped on the bottom of the cylinder, they are not serial numbers though. I think they are just a cylinder ID number.

Went to start the Super 250 up today, it would not fire. Just had fuel coming out of the carb throat. Pulled the plug and it was wet, so not sure why it was flooding. Was planning on using it this week, so hope I can get it straightened out.

Probably some crap holding the needle open. I think your saw feels neglected since it's been a few weeks since you tore down that flatback!:laugh:

Always have your woman help you with checking for spark, your choice whether she holds the plug or the starter rope.

Yeah Randy, that'd go over like a fart in church. As funny as the one option would be, I think I'd let Jenn pull the rope instead...

Nice fiddleback pic Randy. Those damn things have gotten me a couple of times over the years.

I just picked up a nice looking Super 250 with a 36" bar. I wanted to check the serial numbers to see if it was an 80cc or 87cc saw. I have sanded yellow paint off the right and left side of the bottom of the crank case in the spot were they usually are to find no markings. Are there numbers any other place on the outside of the saw? Is there any other place to look or should I try to measure the stroke with the wire in the cylinder trick. I think its a later one I have looked at pictures mine has the plastic knob for the air cleaner cover and the grill around the pull cord is plastic as well. Any help or info would be great Thanks.

Mine doesn't have squat there either. Does it still have the little metal tag on top of the saw, on the oil tank? Remove the top/AF cover and you should see the tag. It's about 5/8"X1.5" or so and has both the model and serial number stamped into it...

Last edited:
The serial number on mine was a metal tag that on attached to the oil tank cover. If you pull the air filter cover off you should be able to see it. There should be other numbers stamped on the bottom of the cylinder, they are not serial numbers though. I think they are just a cylinder ID number.

Mine's got a tag in the back right corner of the airbox.

Looks like you fellows typed a wee bit faster than I did!:hmm3grin2orange:

Mine doesn't have squat there either. Does it still have the little metal tag on top of the saw, on the oil tank? Remove the top/AF cover and you should see the tag. It's about 5/8"X1.5" or so and has both the model and serial number stamped into it...[/QUOTE]
Unless it is gone, check the stroke, the difinitive answer.

Unless it is gone, check the stroke, the difinitive answer.

Even measuring the stroke isn't a definitive way to identify a McCulloch Super 250. Lot's of McCullochs of that family have the same bore/stroke. The 87cc front-tank McCullochs include (in addition to the Super 250):
300, 380, 450, 650/660 gear drives....

The cylinder is a different part # than all those other saws. Vets say the port specs are unique to the Super 250 and possibly the 650/660 gear drives. The Super 250 is one of the few McCullochs to have the choke type 'flatback' Walbro/Mac carb (another is the Super 550). That's not definitive either, as the carb could have been swapped. The tag (or oil tank top) could have been swapped too. Same for the AF/top cover. It's all part of the blessing/curse of the legendary McCulloch Interchangability.:D

HEY. The question on the table is whether its 80cc or 87cc. So its either 1.375" stroke or 1.5" .

"HEY" (with all-caps.....aka yelling)??? Really?:confused:

I was under the impression that this was an open McCulloch discussion forum. Guess I was wrong. Missed the part where you were a mod here too. You weren't even the fellow that asked the question that was "on the table". I'll be sure not to post any info that's either contrary to yours, or that dares to head in a slightly different dirrection than where you thought the discussion was going in.........:dizzy:
or maybe I won't...
Now then.....A more important question would be whether or not it's really a Super 250. Acres' site is awesome, but does have a few errors (mostly comes from the multiple listings for certain models such as the Super 250). One of them is that there were 80 and 87cc super 250's. They were all 87cc according to several knowledgeable folks both on AS and on other CS forums, (and according to the Super 250 IPL's I've seen). A Super 250 will walk a 'standard' 87cc McCulloch from the same family (such as a 300, 380, or 450).

Last edited:
From what I understand all the Super 250's are 87cc but shares the portwork as some of the McCulloch Kart engines... which the "regular" 87cc engines do not.

What numbers stamped into on the cylinder block show up as Super 250's and not plain 250's?

Gary

McCulloch Titan 50 chainsaw

Hi all,
I am from the other side of the world, (Queensland Australia)
I have a titan 50 saw and over here it is very difficult to find parts or any information on this saw.
The model is....60015209... Serial No 11-010518.
It Has a walbro carby with the No 21-245.
I need a new air filter, is there a place to get it in Australia?
What are the base settings for the low & High speed carby needle's

Thanks

Stevo, welcome to ArboristSite.:cheers:

What"s the best beer brewed in OZ?

I believe the part # for your Titan air filter is 223185.

off hand, I don't have any initial carb settings for you. I can try to look later today, but someone else might be able to provide you with that info.

You might try to get a hold of member Ozflea. He (Mc Bob) has seen a few McCullochs in his life time.

http://macbobaust.com/saws1.html

Have a good one, & don't be shy about hanging out around here. Always nice to make new friends.

Vince

From what I understand all the Super 250's are 87cc but shares the portwork as some of the McCulloch Kart engines... which the "regular" 87cc engines do not.

What numbers stamped into on the cylinder block show up as Super 250's and not plain 250's?

Gary

Well, I say lets see some cutting videos of some 250 and super 250s. The proof is in the pudding. I searched the tube and didn't come up with any good cutting vids, so lets see some.

My Super 250 did not have much of anything stamped into the cylinder either.

attachment.php

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6DgO7XUKy8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6DgO7XUKy8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back