McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ported 10-10 / 7-10 Hybrid

This is one of my latest creations. The engine is a 7-10 that I fully rebuild with new bearings, crank, seals and rings. I then ported it and stuck it in an early model 10-10 frame. Tonight I finally finished putting on all the parts on it that I wanted to. One of the coolest parts of this saw is the rare full wrap handle. It also has a new 24" bar. I have ran about 10 tanks of gas through this saw and it is super strong. Since it's running good and I have it like I want it the next step will be to paint it.
IMG_20101215_230147.jpg

IMG_20101215_230444.jpg

IMG_20101215_230339.jpg

IMG_20101215_230427.jpg

IMG_20101215_230203.jpg

IMG_20101215_230233.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously? Let's see a picture of that goofy thing.!

Not so goofy, Monkey Wards sold the heck out of them. Sears had Poulans, Montgomery Wards sold rebadged Macs, and JC Penneys had Remingtons and Poulan micros, I think. The Macs are the same exact saw, Mark might know what they did SN wise. 2.1, 2.3, 3.4, 3.7 ci. I think that was it, all I've seen anyway.

This is one of my latest creations. The engine is a 7-10 that I fully rebuild with new bearings, crank, seals and rings. I then ported it and stuck it in an early model 10-10 frame. Tonight I finally finished putting on all the parts on it that I wanted to. One of the coolest parts of this saw is the rare full wrap handle. It also has a new 24" bar. I have ran about 10 tanks of gas through this saw and it is super strong. Since it's running good and I have it like I want it the next step will be to paint it.
Cool. There is no replacement for displacement.:D

Will the 70 cc piston & cylinder work with the 54 cc crankshaft or is the balance (counterweight) different? :popcorn:

Will the 70 cc piston & cylinder work with the 54 cc crankshaft or is the balance (counterweight) different? :popcorn:

I'm willing to bet that Stinkbait swapped a complte 7-10 engine (cylinder/crancase, piston, rod, crank) into a 10-10 chassis. That means putting a 10-10 tank assembly, oil tank, AF cover, rear handle, lower handle, lower handle brace, flywheel cover, clutch cover, and other assorted bits onto that 70cc engine. Quite a sleeper indeed..:cheers:

I'm willing to bet that Stinkbait swapped a complte 7-10 engine (cylinder/crancase, piston, rod, crank) into a 10-10 chassis. That means putting a 10-10 tank assembly, oil tank, AF cover, rear handle, lower handle, lower handle brace, flywheel cover, clutch cover, and other assorted bits onto that 70cc engine. Quite a sleeper indeed..:cheers:

Like putting the inline six badges on the fender sides of your '66 Belair 4 dr. w/427.

Displacement: If some is good, more is better and 'Too Much' is just enough!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2640061&postcount=6302

Last edited:
Pretty handsome there, Stinkbait. Nice project.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the crankshafts are the same or not. Acres says that they have the sam stroke, but Im not sure. This engine is 7-10 all the way, crankshaft, crankcase, and cylinder.

I also fitted this engine with electronic ignition, using the newer style coil, like found on the pro mac 700.

Last edited:
Its not Allis Chalmers orange, or Hwy Dept. orange, but it ain't yellow like you want. PM me a phone number, I'll send a picture.

Mcculloch saws

Yes, I agree. All the Go Kart motors I built in the 60s had the cracked rods. They fit back together perfectly. MC5,6,10,20,30.
Thanks for the photos. I have one to disassemble soon.
I ground the bar on the 1-70 yesterday. I think that engine is Ok and will run. Got to try it.

"So... is this normal for the big end of the rod to not have flat machined surfaces to mate the cap to? Looks odd to me. This is the first McCulloch I've torn down this far."

Those are "fracture rods", they are machined in one piece, and then broken into two pieces at a score mark. If you put them back together the breaks fit perfectly together, and it is an easier thing to machine than the old way of making caps, and provides good alignment.

A lot of car manufacturers are using these, and I have heard JD is starting to use these on tractors also.

Its not Allis Chalmers orange, or Hwy Dept. orange, but it ain't yellow like you want. PM me a phone number, I'll send a picture.

Thanks for the pics Jeff. A saw like that would be "camouflage" in our local county plow truck :hmm3grin2orange:

I had a PM610... with a 24" Oregon Powermatch bar on it. It was a tank. But just not the tank I expected from a McCulloch... then I bought the 795 from Rich Dugan on ebay (that I thought was a 797 :( ). The rest is Yellow Fever history.... But I sold the PM 610 on ebay loooong ago. :)

Gary

Last edited:
Pic for Shorebreak

attachment.php

Does it look like this? If so just take the nut off and put a clutch puller behind the drum it will pop right off.

Yeah I told him to just tap on the back because mine fell right off so the sears alternate style puller will work I think...:hmm3grin2orange:

Back