McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that but it is not budging.......dont want to beat it up too bad. The actual clutch itself is not threaded?

Stinkbait is right, just do this:

attachment.php

Definately no threads, confirmed and verified...

Switching the clutch drums on the Super 250 this morning and noticed something. The 404 spur I'm taking off has a roller bearing, the rim and drum to go on has a brass bushing. I have misgivings about the bushing. Any thoughts?

Switching the clutch drums on the Super 250 this morning and noticed something. The 404 spur I'm taking off has a roller bearing, the rim and drum to go on has a brass bushing. I have misgivings about the bushing. Any thoughts?

I have run into the same on some of the older
different model Mac's. Some bushing and some
bearing. I prefer the bearing over the bushing.
At one point i was going to press a bushing out
and see if i can get a bearing to fit But haven't
done it yet.

Lee

Mac 250 bushing

That bearing is only used when the saw is idling, so either will be OK.
A separate question, are the clutch drums interchangable on the 1-70s and the 250s. And is there a drum that uses the rim sprockets that fits a 1-70/250?
I have a 1-70 running but it has a 1/2 inch chain.
Thanks

Yes, they are the same for 1-70 to 250. I'd like to put the bearing in, but it's easy enough to get off. May just run it right now and change it later...

Mac 250 clutch

do you know if the 10-10 10-20,10-30-, etc use that clutch drum also?

No, they are different.

UPDATE: Gonna have to press out the bearing and swap it. The clearance on that bushing is like .025!!! Bounces all over the place. Have to drop by my buddy's shop later in the week and do it up. No press here. I already tried the socket-and-beat-it approach :computer2:.

No, they are different.

UPDATE: Gonna have to press out the bearing and swap it. The clearance on that bushing is like .025!!! Bounces all over the place. Have to drop by my buddy's shop later in the week and do it up. No press here. I already tried the socket-and-beat-it approach :computer2:.

Yikes!

Try the bench vise and two socket approach.:hmm3grin2orange:

Clutch drums

Small macs, 10-xx up to the PM700 use the same drum. NOT the SP-80 thru PM 850 saws tho. I just bought a drum for the SP-80 and it is different the the small saws' .
Old heavy metal big Macs 1-40 thru the 125's all use the same drum. Just look at the outside "face", it will be slightly crowned. They will NOT have a step next to sprocket outside dia.
Sorry no pics, I'm welded to the couch.

pressure testing question pm 605

Ok I tore it down, blocked off the exhaust, and intake with inner tube, pumped it and dunked it like I would normally do. And found that the clutch side deal is leaking. But hers my question, as having never worked on one of these style macs should I have removed the oil pump and blocked those passageways before testing too. Cause it had a prominent leak out the adjustment screw on the pump too. Is that normal?

Went to start the Super 250 up today, it would not fire. Just had fuel coming out of the carb throat. Pulled the plug and it was wet, so not sure why it was flooding. Was planning on using it this week, so hope I can get it straightened out.

Back