McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the 450? Isn't that one 87cc too?

The 450 is more like 91 cc (2.165" stroke x 1.500" bore), just like McCulloch to change things up a bit.

Professor - the 740/840 is 99cc where as the 795/895 is 103 cc. The 795/895 have a compression release, the 740/840 do not.

There is also a 790/890 that is 103 cc but does not have a compression release. McCulloch was never satisfied and always making subtle little changes.

Mark

Did you guys once tell me this bar is for some kind of Mac? It looks to be a 42" bar and .080 guage.

1135438820_Rq7Ac-M.jpg

Here's a 16" 3/8 .050. It needs a new home.

1135441764_qmWao-M.jpg

1135441859_2LtKZ-M.jpg

Last edited:
Bearing and Seal link...

McGuire Bearing Company

Right here in the good ol' PNW. I went in to the Tacoma, WA store and the had the crank seals I needed for the Super 250. If you can get a cross reference number from the McCulloch part number... they can get it for you. I had a Chicago Rawhide part number that was a cross reference to the McCulloch number... they had the clutch side seal on the shelf. The flywheel side they had to have shipped from their Portland, OR store. So I had them shipped to my door step.

They stock all kinds of bearing too... I've used them from dirt bikes to boat trailers... and now chainsaws.

They ship worldwide too... :)

Gary

Looking forward to seeing the Super 250 side by side with the 300. I think we need to make this a top priority here.:D:cheers:

Agree, pretty curious myself.

So am I. It'll be a while before I can make that comparison I'm afraid. Probably will be a couple more weeks before I pick up the 300 (it's waiting for me in a guy's garage about 2 hours away). My Super 250 at least needs new rings, and probably more care......................so it'll be down for a while. Mark H. could help us here however. He has a Super 250, two 300s, and a 380 (look at his siggy). Come on Mark...................get somebody to shoot some videos of you running these 87cc Macs. Get some pics of the 77 in your shop with the rest of the Yellow Fever collection while you're at it. It's not like you have to travel all over creation all the time instead of spending time at home in the shop or anything. Haven't you got it running yet???:D

What about the 450? Isn't that one 87cc too?

The 450 is more like 91 cc (2.165" stroke x 1.500" bore), just like McCulloch to change things up a bit.

Now that's interesting. Acres' site lists the McCulloch 450 as another 87cc/5.3ci saw.................but has almost no other info on that model other than a generic pic. Mark......you need to contact Mike A. and update the 450 model profile (with stats and pics). Another task for Mark!:D

Dammit. I just missed out on a cherry 450 with two bars, two chains, the original owners manual, and a service manual for $75 (or best offer) last summer when I was in Sacramento picking up the 77. The CL seller and I had been in communication previously, but weren't able to hook up that day before I had to leave town and go to work. It sold a couple of days later, before I could make it back into Sac. Should have called in sick that day...:dizzy:

Professor - the 740/840 is 99cc where as the 795/895 is 103 cc. The 795/895 have a compression release, the 740/840 do not.

There is also a 790/890 that is 103 cc but does not have a compression release. McCulloch was never satisfied and always making subtle little changes.

Mark

I haven't found the 790 (or a 550) to really need a comp release. Did the 795/895 have a significantly higher C/R than the earlier 99cc and 103cc Macs? I haven't started a 795 or 895, so I don't know what they feel like to pull through with the comp release closed. Haven't started a 797 either.

I do know the 6.1ci/100cc Homelites sure could have used a sissy switch (which the 112cc/7.0ci 2000/2100/3100G Homelites do have). Those XP1000-1130G Homelites are kinda hard on the fingers and starter parts. The 7.0ci Homelites are much easier to start (with the comp release open anyways) than the 6.1ci Homies....

Bearing and Seal link...

McGuire Bearing Company

Right here in the good ol' PNW. I went in to the Tacoma, WA store and the had the crank seals I needed for the Super 250. If you can get a cross reference number from the McCulloch part number... they can get it for you. I had a Chicago Rawhide part number that was a cross reference to the McCulloch number... they had the clutch side seal on the shelf. The flywheel side they had to have shipped from their Portland, OR store. So I had them shipped to my door step.

They stock all kinds of bearing too... I've used them from dirt bikes to boat trailers... and now chainsaws.

They ship worldwide too... :)

Gary

Thanks Gary! That will certainly come in handy for me soon with my Super 250. Gotta catch up with you and your Super 250! Would you please post the C/R part numbers that cross to the McCulloch bearings and seals for the Super 250?

Thanks for the info Gary.
I have a bearing company not to far from me
and they have had bearings and seals for a lot
of my projects except the flywheel side seal for
a Homelite 2100.

Lee

Another intersting historical McCulloch 450 tidbit..................My May 1964 dated IPL lists the stroke for the 450 as 2.165", the bore as 1.0" (yes.....one inch), and the displacement as 1.5 ci!!!!!

Using these somewhat 'suspect' bore and stroke measurements............I get a whopping 1.7ci when I do my math...:D

Clearly, somebody in the manuals section of the McCulloch empire had a rough weekend, and that Mac 450 spec sheet was the first thing done on Monday morning!:laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks Gary! That will certainly come in handy for me soon with my Super 250. Gotta catch up with you and your Super 250! Would you please post the C/R part numbers that cross to the McCulloch bearings and seals for the Super 250?

You bet mang! I'm at work tonight... so I'll have to post up those cross refference numbers later on. I installed the seal in the flywheel side case half today. I was waiting on my Super 250 cylinder, piston and rod to come from a site sponsor. It came today right before I went off to work. I will do a little cleanup on the new cylinder (don't need much), and then press out the old seal and install the new one in the next couple of days.

I didn't wanna give you the numbers yet in case the seals didn't fit properly for some reason. :)

Gary

Any of you Mac experts got a good power Mac 340 case I can get cheap? I have one that was run over and really liked that saw for trimming work

Got a Mac 10-10 Automatic today. We were at my grandmothers for Christmas and I had cut down a big dead oak that she wanted cut before it fell across the driveway. When we were about to leave this afternoon, she told me to go get grandpas old chainsaw and take it with me if I had any use for it (he's been dead for 12 years). Put some gas in the tank and oil in the oil tank and pulled it though a few times...nothing. Pulled the air filter and dribbled a little gas into the carb, pulled it and got a couple of encouraging pops. Put it back together and pulled a few more times. After all those years of sitting on that shelf, that old saw sat there and idled perfectly. I gave the chain a quick once over with a file and tried it on some oak that was probably 8" diameter. Determined two things very quickly: That saw does an amazing job and it is LOUD! I'm gonna clean it up and use it some...no garage queens allowed here. I thought it might be a good limbing saw but the darn thing is almost as heavy as my Dolmar 7900. Love it though...it was grandpas saw and I have no bad memories with that old man...maybe I'll be able to pass it down to one of my boys someday. It looks really old and clunky sitting beside the 7900 though :D

Cool, get that thing going. Just remember before you whack out those port bridges that the rings on Mac pistons float and those bridges are there to keep the ring in the groove. Pin the rings and let the chips fly!

I was not planning to cut them out. I don't know if the ring can be unsupported that far.
I really don't know anything about tuning macs. I just saw the port windows are round and could be cleaned up and there are some flow tricks to do. I also plan to build a better muffler.
Any tuning trips would be greatly appreciated.

The gas tank is in terrible shape and lots of corrosion and pitting. At least one pit all the way through the front cover. I am going to have to find something to line it with.

I got the fuel primer to turn loose but does not pull any gas.
I can our some gas down the carb an get it to fire an run for a bit but the carb will not draw any fuel. So I have to learn about mac carbs I guess.
The oil pump is still stuck and I have not got to it yet.

I plan to do a vacuum check on it tomorrow. That will probably decide if I fix it or it becomes a parts saw.

mac 120 clutch

attachment.php
attachment.php
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=163449&stc=1&d=1293305060[/IMG]
this is my first minimac and it runs, but the only thing wrong is the clutch. a chunk of one shoe is broken out and some of the metal is smeared around the inside of the drum. some peeled off but the rest wants to stay stuck. is this fixable or is it just new clutch time ? are they worth it ?

this is my first minimac and it runs, but the only thing wrong is the clutch. a chunk of one shoe is broken out and some of the metal is smeared around the inside of the drum. some peeled off but the rest wants to stay stuck. is this fixable or is it just new clutch time ? are they worth it ?

Time for new clutch/sprocket drum for sure.

Worth it? Damn betcha, but that's just me. :popcorn: Unlike some others around here.

attachment.php
attachment.php
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=163449&stc=1&d=1293305060[/IMG]

If you fix it you can do this!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2493567&postcount=3736

and everyone will be jealous...

You bet mang! I'm at work tonight... so I'll have to post up those cross refference numbers later on. I installed the seal in the flywheel side case half today. I was waiting on my Super 250 cylinder, piston and rod to come from a site sponsor. It came today right before I went off to work. I will do a little cleanup on the new cylinder (don't need much), and then press out the old seal and install the new one in the next couple of days.

I didn't wanna give you the numbers yet in case the seals didn't fit properly for some reason. :)

Gary

Cool deal Gary. I take it your stock jug was too wasted to save with a hone, or an overbore and an oversize piston? More importantly............You got a Super 250 piston, cylinder, and rod from a site sponsor here??? Have they got any more? PM me with the details mang!:cheers:

Got a Mac 10-10 Automatic today. We were at my grandmothers for Christmas and I had cut down a big dead oak that she wanted cut before it fell across the driveway. When we were about to leave this afternoon, she told me to go get grandpas old chainsaw and take it with me if I had any use for it (he's been dead for 12 years). Put some gas in the tank and oil in the oil tank and pulled it though a few times...nothing. Pulled the air filter and dribbled a little gas into the carb, pulled it and got a couple of encouraging pops. Put it back together and pulled a few more times. After all those years of sitting on that shelf, that old saw sat there and idled perfectly. I gave the chain a quick once over with a file and tried it on some oak that was probably 8" diameter. Determined two things very quickly: That saw does an amazing job and it is LOUD! I'm gonna clean it up and use it some...no garage queens allowed here. I thought it might be a good limbing saw but the darn thing is almost as heavy as my Dolmar 7900. Love it though...it was grandpas saw and I have no bad memories with that old man...maybe I'll be able to pass it down to one of my boys someday. It looks really old and clunky sitting beside the 7900 though :D

Yeah it's a little clunky and heavy, but it was designed 30+ years before your Dolmar was....:D

Yup, that is the minimal muffler version of your garden variety 10-10. :cool:

Love it.

Not time to go to midnight mass yet. Got another hour.
Carl.

Even my later ProMac 10-10 with the 'good' muffler is still damn loud. That's the nature of this design I guess. Great old saws...:D

I threw this in another thread, but figured the Mac guys would like it, it's a 1-43

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TMuGCxL8xIY?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TMuGCxL8xIY?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Merry Christmas guys

CT

Aaron... the Flywheel side seal is MCCulloch number 50663, replacement Chicago Rawhide number 6763. The Clutch side seal is McCulloch number 104432, replacement Chicago Rawhide number 6816.

I installed both seals today and they fit perfectly. Just gotta install the crank, piston and rod after I get new rings. :)

BTW... (anybody) what size are the rings for a standard bore Super 250. My IPL doesn't show it... unless I'm reading it wrong.

Gary

Back