McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any auto parts store will have a spark plug thread repair kit. The first step is a combination ream/tap that enlarges and retaps the hole, then you install a steel insert, and finally you use the tapered end of the installation tool to upset the end of the newly installed bushing to lock it in place.

If you do a little searching on line you can find additional inserts since the one you will use most often is the short (3/8" long) piece.

There was another thread very recently on the subject with photo's of the repair kit and a repaired "head".

Mark

Ok, thanks for the replies. I have used these before, but wanted to check & see if there was something new & improved out there.

I was crusing on CL the other day for old Homelites, and an add caught my eye. The Homey was too small for me and the other saw was a Mac 6-10. It was PA CL and the seller wanted $100 bucks for both saws and the add said they would start. Anyone want me to see if I can find the add again and pass on the info? Joe.

Got a question! I bought a rim sprocket off of ebay, Oregon 10624, same as the one on my 797. When I got it did not have a bearing in it, and didnt think it would be a problem. Seems that the hub has a smaller inside diameter than the others so the bearings that I have with the rest are to large to go in. Can I replace the inside hub with the right on? It looks brand new and may have already been replaced. Or is there another bearing that will work? If so anybody know what kind I would be looking for? Got a growing collection of saws that I am slowly trying to convert to rim sprocket.

Got a question! I bought a rim sprocket off of ebay, Oregon 10624, same as the one on my 797. When I got it did not have a bearing in it, and didnt think it would be a problem. Seems that the hub has a smaller inside diameter than the others so the bearings that I have with the rest are to large to go in. Can I replace the inside hub with the right on? It looks brand new and may have already been replaced. Or is there another bearing that will work? If so anybody know what kind I would be looking for? Got a growing collection of saws that I am slowly trying to convert to rim sprocket.

Did you win a lot of two of those Oregon 10624's? If so, then you outbid me!:laugh:

I thought those 10624 drum setups had bearings with them. That's how the listing read IIRC. I've got my eye out for one, as my 550 still has a spur sprocket. I don't know why he listed two of them together, instead of selling each individualy. He'd have gotten more money if he'd sepperated them...

I did end up winning an NIB Oregon rim drive clutch drum with bearing and rim for my little Super E-Z from the same seller as the guy with the two 10624's. Got it for about 10 bucks shipped.:D

Seeing as the Super 250 I have is the first McCulloch I've torn down entirely... do you cats use pertoleum jelly to hold the 24 roller bearings in place on the big end of the rod?

Also... do I need to use something si,ilar to Yamabond or Hondabond on the reed cage gaskets and the crankcase end gasket?

I just made all the new gaskets for this baby last night.

Gary

Did you win a lot of two of those Oregon 10624's? If so, then you outbid me!:laugh:

I thought those 10624 drum setups had bearings with them. That's how the listing read IIRC. I've got my eye out for one, as my 550 still has a spur sprocket. I don't know why he listed two of them together, instead of selling each individualy. He'd have gotten more money if he'd sepperated them...

I did end up winning an NIB Oregon rim drive clutch drum with bearing and rim for my little Super E-Z from the same seller as the guy with the two 10624's. Got it for about 10 bucks shipped.:D

No that was not me. This was a sprocket I got a month or so ago.I must have missed the one you were talking about. Shame could have used them to. Right now I have one and I dont know what to do with since the inside dia. is to small for the bearings on the rest of ones I have. Funny thing is the other that came on the 797 takes the bearing ok, so it must be a different hub on that one.

Seeing as the Super 250 I have is the first McCulloch I've torn down entirely... do you cats use pertoleum jelly to hold the 24 roller bearings in place on the big end of the rod?

Also... do I need to use something si,ilar to Yamabond or Hondabond on the reed cage gaskets and the crankcase end gasket?

Gary

I used grease to hold the needle bearings in, that worked real good. I didnt use anything on the reed gasket for the Super 250, but on the 797 I used some permetex high tack sealant for the reed gasket as well as others. Never dries so you can remove the gaskets later if need be.

No that was not me. This was a sprocket I got a month or so ago.I must have missed the one you were talking about. Shame could have used them to. Right now I have one and I dont know what to do with since the inside dia. is to small for the bearings on the rest of ones I have. Funny thing is the other that came on the 797 takes the bearing ok, so it must be a different hub on that one.

Maybe that drum was set up for a bushing. You need to put that Homelite C-Series project saw in your siggy sir.:D

I used grease to hold the needle bearings in, that worked real good. I didnt use anything on the reed gasket for the Super 250, but on the 797 I used some permetex high tack sealant for the reed gasket as well as others. Never dries so you can remove the gaskets later if need be.

I use grease for rollers, and high-tac for most of the gaskets as well.

Maybe that drum was set up for a bushing. You need to put that Homelite C-Series project saw in your siggy sir.:D

Tried a bushing, that was too big to. Only thing I can think is maybe its designed for a roller bearing with the plastic cage. All I know is what I have dont fit, and I would like to somehow make it work. Still waiting on the saw, when it gets here I will;).

Gary

Gary, I just use a light white grease to hold the bearings in place.
And on the case gasket i use the Yamabond or equivalent.
On the other gaskets i use the copper spray gasket.
Sealing the gas tanks is a different story.
I haven't really found the ideal sealer for that.

Lee

Double Eagle 80

Any of you know the marketing scoop on the DE 80? Mark H. had some info on the introduction of the PM800 which claimed more hp than the PM850 - I'm curious as to whether or not the DE 80 upped the ante or was it just a redesign to eliminate the rubber intake as a potential air leak. Thanks, Ron

Double Eagle 80?

I stopped in an Amish shop in IN this summer, the guy who really knew saws didn't think much of the Double Eagle version. I don't have any experience myself with any of the 10 Series saws bigger than my 7-10.

From the documentation and comments I have read and heard, I think the PM800 is the one to have.

I may have a deal cooking to get a Double Eagle 80 for myself, we'll have to see what develops.

Mark

mac super 250

So does this engine have the 1.5 inch stroke? And I should expect my 250 to have the 1.375 inch stroke?
Thanks

Gary

willy - correct, both are 2.125" bore and the "regular" is 1.375" stroke, the Super 1.5" stroke.

Gary - just to add my $0.02, I use grease to hold the bearings in place and have not had any problems so far. Some of the instructional materials out there will suggest not to use grease as it will not "wash out" but none of my experiences would confirm that.

I have used Indian Head, oil, and nothing on the intake gaskets, all three seem to work. I like the idea of a little oil better than nothing at all just to help the pieces as they squeeze together. Indian head will insure it doesn't leak, but you want to be sure that everything is right the first time...

Mark

Super 250

thanks Mark. You know the next question---will the 1.5 stroker fit in the 250 with a thicker head gasket?

The other question is what message was all that info about build dates for Mac engine in?
Thanks

willy - correct, both are 2.125" bore and the "regular" is 1.375" stroke, the Super 1.5" stroke.

Gary - just to add my $0.02, I use grease to hold the bearings in place and have not had any problems so far. Some of the instructional materials out there will suggest not to use grease as it will not "wash out" but none of my experiences would confirm that.

I have used Indian Head, oil, and nothing on the intake gaskets, all three seem to work. I like the idea of a little oil better than nothing at all just to help the pieces as they squeeze together. Indian head will insure it doesn't leak, but you want to be sure that everything is right the first time...

Mark

Gary, White lithium to hold the rollers, it breaks down real nice with pre-mix when you break in. I Use yamabond, hondabond or similar instead of gaskets. Just my .02.. :chainsaw:

Mark, I was this <> close to getting this saw, but somebody upped the ante after my phone call last nite. I called the owner at ten this AM to close the deal and he let me know it was SOLD. Didn't even let me in.
[email protected] <[email protected]>
Do you know anything about this sale?
Just curious, cause this one belongs in a museum. ( like mine).

thanks Mark. You know the next question---will the 1.5 stroker fit in the 250 with a thicker head gasket?

The other question is what message was all that info about build dates for Mac engine in?
Thanks

I have never tried to put the 1.5" stroke crank shaft in a 1.375" stroke saw but I don't think it will work, all of the port timing would be off and all those saws had fixed heads so there is no adjusment to be found.

According to the IPL's the pistons are the same between the 250 and Super 250, but the connecting rod and crankshaft are different.

Mark

The mac 790 now runs and runs well considering that this is the first carb. rebuild for me on this type carb. After it is warmed up it will crank on one pull some of the time and 2 or 3 pulls for sure.
Apparently the primer is working and the auto oiler also.
I have a tripod ordered and I hope to post some video's at a later date.

On another note my daughter's tumors (Meningiomas) have returned and I will have to go to Olive Branch this Friday to baby sit for her. She is going to Mayo clinic at Rochester, Minn. for treatment. Any prayers for her would be appreciated. Tom

P. S. If someone would fix the pictures to open automaticlly I would appreciate it. Tom

An update on my daughter's tumors.
She spent two weeks in Rochester, MN. at the Mayo clinic. She was told in Memphis that she had three tumors that needed treatment and when she got to Mayo they did treatment on four and told her she had more that were small. She is to have a cat scan four month after the treatment to check on the other tumors.
she is back home and back to work. The only side effects she has had is her face swelled very bad a couple days after she got home and some of her hair has come out.
she was concerned about her hair, but I told her that it would come back and mine will not.
Her general health seams to be better now. Thanks for the concern and prayers. Tom

super 250

Mark,
Thank you fo looking into the 1.375/1.5 crankshaft exchange. I suspect you are correct if the head is integral. My MC-10 had a removable head.
You might need a Super rod, which might be a little shorter? I was thinking about a 1-70 crank (and rod now)
I have to think about the port timing effect.
At any rate, I know have a 250 with 24 inch bar and nearly new .404 chain.
Pruit

Back