McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron... the Flywheel side seal is MCCulloch number 50663, replacement Chicago Rawhide number 6763. The Clutch side seal is McCulloch number 104432, replacement Chicago Rawhide number 6816.

I installed both seals today and they fit perfectly. Just gotta install the crank, piston and rod after I get new rings. :)

BTW... (anybody) what size are the rings for a standard bore Super 250. My IPL doesn't show it... unless I'm reading it wrong.

Gary

Thanks mang!

Stock bore for a Super 250 is 2.125". That's 53.9mm for the metric folks...:D

Same bore measurement for most of the 4.9ci/80cc and 5.3ci/87cc Macs. The stroke's longer on the 5.3ci Macs (1.375" vs 1.5")...:cheers:

Last edited:
mm120

yeah brian- gonna have to fix it. those must be kevlar socks you're dad has on for protection from that ankle biter.lol. the oil pump doesn't work, is that a manual oiler only or were some both ?

yeah brian- gonna have to fix it. those must be kevlar socks you're dad has on for protection from that ankle biter.lol. the oil pump doesn't work, is that a manual oiler only or were some both ?

+1 we joked about his safety chaps all day after that.

Some are both but my EB 2.0 is manual only, the 110 I have is both. There is a spot on them all I believe that is either machined for the auto oiler or just left "as cast" on the manual only saws. At least that's my guess after having mine all apart.

Stripped the plug hole

Hey guys! I have been nosing through this thread with no luck yet, but my searching skills are limited. What I am looking for is what anybody has used to repair stripped spark plug threads on Mcculloch cylinders. I really don't want to spend a big chunk of $ on a tool I'll rarely use, but there is a automotive machine shop fairly close that would probably do the work for a small fee. Or hopefully smaller than another large tool investment! But there are so many choices out there, I wanted to run it thru here to get any suggestions on the best type.
I am wanting to get my little Mini Mac out of the "broke" pile!
Thanks in advance!

Christmas present arrived today.

I got the Christmas present I order myself today. I know some of you will likely make fun of it and/or me, but I was thrilled to get it. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Ron

NOS SP125 chain brake.

attachment.php

Hey guys! I have been nosing through this thread with no luck yet, but my searching skills are limited. What I am looking for is what anybody has used to repair stripped spark plug threads on Mcculloch cylinders. I really don't want to spend a big chunk of $ on a tool I'll rarely use, but there is a automotive machine shop fairly close that would probably do the work for a small fee. Or hopefully smaller than another large tool investment! But there are so many choices out there, I wanted to run it thru here to get any suggestions on the best type.
Thanks in advance!

My local Ace hardware store has spark plug thread repair inserts (Helicoils) in the little yellow compartment drawers in the fastener department.

You might be able to borrow the drill bit, threading tap and insertion tool from your local O'Reillys auto parts store. They loan all sorts of automotive tools with a deposit.

Good luck.

I got the Christmas present I order myself today. I know some of you will likely make fun of it and/or me, but I was thrilled to get it. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Ron

NOS SP125 chain brake.

attachment.php

I'm not going to make fun of it.
I want one. Are there anymore where
you found this one. Hard item to find.
Congrats, Nice compliment to a 125 that
originally had one.

Lee

I'm not going to make fun of it.
I want one. Are there anymore where
you found this one. Hard item to find.
Congrats, Nice compliment to a 125 that
originally had one.

Lee

Lee, I thought someone had expressed an interest in these before but I couldn't remember who; that is why I posted it. Anyway I got it from Harry Wallenburg. Whether or not he has another I don't know. It was less expensive than a chain brake for a DE80 or PM800. I also picked up some other 125 pieces - fuel line, pulse hose and some bar plates. It took them many weeks to get this together so you have to be patient. I just called them and followed up by email with a wish list. They found almost everything on my list, including a hard to find dsp valve for the DE80 and PM800. They could not find me a "connector" for a 125 (the rubber boot that goes between the tank and the intake). I didn't purchase everything on my list but I got the parts I really wanted. The others will have to wait for now.

Ron

Ron, don't worry, it is a correct piece, if it works for you, all the better.

Thanks. I have become accustomed to having a chain brake and thought I would look for one for the 125 even though in my limited experience it is can be a real nuisance when you pass the center point while bucking. Also I know that once I get back to sawing (hopefully only 5 months to go), I'll have lots of guys wanting to run it - I'll feel a lot better knowing it may provide a little protection. Ron

Thanks Ron,
I have bought from Harry many times but never thought
to ask if he could get a chain brake cover assembly.
I will have to give him a call. Do you mind me asking the cost. You can PM me if you wish.

Lee

Thanks. I have become accustomed to having a chain brake and thought I would look for one for the 125 even though in my limited experience it is can be a real nuisance when you pass the center point while bucking. Also I know that once I get back to sawing (hopefully only 5 months to go), I'll have lots of guys wanting to run it - I'll feel a lot better knowing it may provide a little protection. Ron

Find some long spikes, they help keep the powerhead off the wood.

Thanks in advance!

Why invest in some expensive tool when you can have a slightly used cylinder to throw on for way less? Mark has commented on/used helicoils from NAPA, I believe, maybe in another thread. Myself, I'd tap it out to a larger plug. BTW-If you leave that on the broke pile, it will find like company soon (and cheaply) enough.

NOS SP125 chain brake.

attachment.php

I'm not gonna make fun of it, its a sweet piece. Put the deflector on the correct way, however, it looks backwards.

Thanks Ron,
I have bought from Harry many times but never thought
to ask if he could get a chain brake cover assembly.
I will have to give him a call. Do you mind me asking the cost. You can PM me if you wish.

Lee

Lee, here's a list of the 125 parts I got from Wallenburg Sales:

Brace sleeve (square rubber tube that covers bottom of rear handle) $8.00
Bar plates 2 @ $6.50 each
Fuel line $9.75
Pulse line $9.75
Chain brake assembly $68.00 (a PM800/DE80 is about $90).
3 hex head screws for recoil $3.75 each (I spurged on this to keep things original).

If I was going to restore the saw I would need a muffler cover and muffler, I forgot to ask Harry for a quote. On Ebay there is one of each - $100 for a muffler and $50 for a broken cover -too rich for my taste.

Ron

Find some long spikes, they help keep the powerhead off the wood.

Randy, I've seen a few pictures of some of your dawgs - I've been calling my spikes puppies ever since.

Seriously, I'll just have to see how it goes since I have no experience with a 125 chain brake. If the factory spikes are long enough (IMO the factory spikes are too short on the PM850/800s), then I'll need to get a sawed off model like Stinkbait's or saw the top off my spare dog as the chain brake does not accommodate the standard 3 hole spike. I know some advise against running spikes in pairs with one on the cover, but I like not only the look but the way the 125 balances with a pair of spikes. I may change my mind when I hang the saw up and can't remove the cover.

Ron

Thanks in advance!

Any auto parts store will have a spark plug thread repair kit. The first step is a combination ream/tap that enlarges and retaps the hole, then you install a steel insert, and finally you use the tapered end of the installation tool to upset the end of the newly installed bushing to lock it in place.

If you do a little searching on line you can find additional inserts since the one you will use most often is the short (3/8" long) piece.

There was another thread very recently on the subject with photo's of the repair kit and a repaired "head".

Mark

Back