McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 1-85 is a badass saw,incredible torque,pretty good speed for a gear drive too.I have a very clean strong runner,never did see them often,but that model is even scarcer now than 10-15 years ag.Only produced barely 13 months,from 3/29/61 to 4/13/62
Pretty good speed you say? Yours must be a 2-1 gearset, this one uses a 3.62-1 gear set and I wouldn't call it good speed.

I'm not surprised Mac discontinued a good saw to replace it with one with a .040' bigger bore but more importantly one with their own Flatback carb. I would rather have the Tillotson with a choke

Closed the bar rails a little on the 1635 I've been tinkering with. It had been cutting boat wood. Leveled them up as well. It cuts straight as can be now but still needs a better chain. It's not super powerful, but it's light, and runs very smooth. I'm thinking it might make a good truck saw for the occasional road block on the way to work. My whole trip to work is through a dense forest and it's a somewhat regular occurrence.

Hey Fellas,

i have this 10-10 that I've been meaning to tear into for years. It has 150 psi of compression and a hot spark, but feels like the crank bearings are shot. (Have some play)
How much work am I looking at to replace the bearings and seals? (What is the minimal disassembly to accomplish it) I only ask because I'm a busy dad with minimal spare time. But I think this saw is worth the effort.

1000008308.jpg1000008309.jpg1000008310.jpg

Sometimes you can get by replacing the seals with the crankcase assembled but it's pretty much a complete tear down needed to replace the bearings. The needle bearings on the PTO side always seems to have a bit of radial movement, but the flywheel side bearing and retainer should prevent any axial movement.

20230918_134224.jpg

You should not have to separate the rod cap from the connecting rod, but the crankcase will have to come apart which necessitates everything else coming off first.

Mark

Back