McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gear drive saws were especially popular with pulp wood cutters who did a lot of bucking with logs on the ground where the bar was frequently pinched. Bow bars and gear drive saws were ways to deal with the particular problems associated with bucking those logs to length. Pulp wood cutters needed to put up a lot of logs in a hurry to make the jobs pay off and gear drive saws were ways to augment their task.

The G70 is a 70cc saw and included some additional braces not found on the other 10 Series gear drive models. They still command a pretty good premium today over the other 10G saws.

Mark

The "rounder" bow bars, sometimes referred to as circle bows or bucking bows were/are intended for bucking with the log on the ground.

There are some more elongated bow bars sometimes called brush bows or clearing bows that were more for brush type cutting. They were less likely to throw a chain when messing around with a bunch of small diameter limbs tangled together.

20200605_082712.jpg

I have used the circle bow type bar a few times just for demonstration purposes. The do take a lot of power to drag the chain around the bar with no sprockets or rollers which is why they are more frequently used with gear drive saws or lower RPM higher torque direct drive saws.

I even have a small brush type bow bar on a Mini Mac that was reported used on a christmas tree farm, you can imagine how it would have been useful to just reach in under the branches to cut a tree off close to the ground.

Mark

Ok guys, playing with the 1-76 again this evening. Apparently the fuel line isn't as good as I thought it was, can't get a good seal at the barb that goes into the tank from the carb. I think this was why I had such a hard time getting the fuel to the carb last night. Any leads on where to source the proper fuel line, or tips for making one? I'm tempted to turn down the tank barb to a normal size in the tank side, but I don't have the meat to modify the carb inlet without fear of breaking the nipple off. Really would just prefer the right line if I could get it.

Ok guys, playing with the 1-76 again this evening. Apparently the fuel line isn't as good as I thought it was, can't get a good seal at the barb that goes into the tank from the carb. I think this was why I had such a hard time getting the fuel to the carb last night. Any leads on where to source the proper fuel line, or tips for making one? I'm tempted to turn down the tank barb to a normal size in the tank side, but I don't have the meat to modify the carb inlet without fear of breaking the nipple off. Really would just prefer the right line if I could get it.
@heimannm

On the smaller side of Mac, the 3516 I've been using had a bapticostal fit yesterday.
It had been doing very well since it's trip across the bench minus the throttle lock setting it's at times. I pulled it back out yesterday and it suddenly won't come up to rpm for some mystery reason. Was running very well when last used. Then the starter assembly just completely locked up and won't budge.
Always something.
Went to use a 10-10 lw and it's tank gasket decided to start leaking!
Oh well at least the 10-10 s that recently got a spa treatment performed flawlessly.

Still a mystery on the 3516. Removed the starter assembly and it was fine. Engine would not budge and I thought great, it locked up and I have zero idea why. I stuck a socket on the flywheel nut and got it to turn with little effort. ????? Nothing felt/ looked or sounded weird so I put the starter back on and gingerly pulled it. Seemed fine so I started it. Still would not throttle up basically like it was starving but I had tuned it prior and it had been cutting perfectly. Opened the low side til it woke back up, then re tweaked the high and now it back to purring. I wonder if there is something wondering about in the carb.

One mystery solved. The lower handle screw had came out and was up under the one thing I didn't remove when I looked it over, the flywheel. It cost me a fuel tank, but I had a spare thankfully.
Still no idea why the carb suddenly needed retuned, but it's running ok so I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
I will add, a 3516 is not the easiest to work on!

Back