McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All,

Here are some pics of the 1-70 re-build. A $50.00 attic find.

As you can see, 40+ years old mix turns into a gooey mess, parts washer even struggled with it.

The stock piston took a beating when the ring broke, the head believe it not, is salvagable. It's getting a makeover at the machine shop.

The picture of the oil tank (with corresponding bolt) demonstrates (I believe) a method used to determine when the saw was out of oil...as it makes a racket when empty. I can't imagine someone dropping the bolt in there for any other reason. Opinions?

I went with a thinner head gasket and carbon fiber reeds, all new gaskets, new bearings and seals, new piston, rings and needle bearings, new fuel filter, spring and plug (in tank). I also got a new air filter cover bracket for the carb as the "wire" was not going to cut it. New diaphrams for the carb as well.

I still need a air filter, back shroud (as the one I have is cracked and bent), Pull handle (original stock), 1 clutch spring and spikes.

The cylinder has been bored 30 over, and should be back this week after the final hone. Then, assembly!

Still debating paint or powder coat, will mostly be a garage queen...she is blasted already.

She has great spark but I'm still thinking about a module...are there any that will work with this flywheel? I only see the single magnet modules...any advice?

One thing is for sure, this baby is gonna be sweet...can wait to hear it for the first time!

Last edited:
McBling

Picked up this bar and fuel can off e-bay in the past week. Bar was as well packed as anything I have received. Bar is 32", chain is .404/.063 square chisel skip. Fuel can came USPS with a definite aroma of gasoline, I guess the post office is not as particular as some claim.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Nice fuel can and bar! Your going to like that chain, it is hard to find.... care to make another picture of the chain close up? Seems that I have some of it also. I compared the grind to some of a newer chain, specifically 3/8 and the way it is filed is different. Yours looks very similar to what mine does.

Is it new chain or can you tell if its been filed? You can see that no effort was made to clean the gullet.... that's why I'm asking. Where did it come from if you don't mind me asking.

The bar and chain were listed on e-bay, I contacted the seller about making it a "special" and we worked out a deal. Seller was in Washington. Bar had chain were reported to have seen limited use but the chain does look like its been sharpened a few times.

I will try to remember and take some better photos of the chain during the week. Perhaps I will put this combination on a saw for the GTG next Saturday.

Mark

I am so angry with this thread!!

I fully blame this thread for single handedly doubling the price of vintage Macs in just the past year or so. I remember not very long ago I passed on a SP125 on epay that sold for just over 300 bucks because I didn't want to spend that much at the time (gotta feed the family too). Can't buy a parts saw for that now. For Pete's sake, a power Mac 6 recently brought about $150 bucks! The prices of parts has equally skyrocketed. I don't follow up on these auctions to see if any of it actually sells, but I have seen some absolutely astronomical prices there lately. If it weren't for the occasional deals (like the 2-10PS I got) I think I would be completely out of collecting. Enough of the rant, I really find this thread entertaining and informative and have noticed an influx of new people posting on it recently. Nice to see the old macs being made to run again.

Jim - I will try to remember and notify you if I ever decide to sell anything, certainly that would serve to drop the prices dramatically.

There are still deals to be found from time to time, but e-bay does generally tend to keep the prices up.

Recently I have been looking for 88808 McCulloch points (for the 10 Series) and one set on e-bay went around $10, new ones from Bob were $15, then last week I got three for around $6 each.

Need to learn to watch and wait.

Now let's see if Saw King will relist the BP399T since it didn't make the reserve.

Mark

I fully blame this thread for single handedly doubling the price of vintage Macs in just the past year or so. I remember not very long ago I passed on a SP125 on epay that sold for just over 300 bucks because I didn't want to spend that much at the time (gotta feed the family too). Can't buy a parts saw for that now. For Pete's sake, a power Mac 6 recently brought about $150 bucks! The prices of parts has equally skyrocketed. I don't follow up on these auctions to see if any of it actually sells, but I have seen some absolutely astronomical prices there lately. If it weren't for the occasional deals (like the 2-10PS I got) I think I would be completely out of collecting. Enough of the rant, I really find this thread entertaining and informative and have noticed an influx of new people posting on it recently. Nice to see the old macs being made to run again.

We that bought our Macs earlier will forgive you!

Prices.

Jim, I feel for you. It wasn't long ago that I could buy a nice PM800 for $100 to $125.00 - which is what got me started on them instead of the PM850s and DE80s. SP80s and 81s were under $100. I can't find a good parts saw for that now. But as Mark said let me sell one and the market will drop.

I know you use your saws so just compare the price of a few NOS MAC parts to the price of same part for a newer generation Euro saw and you will feel a lot better knowing that not only did you buy your old American mag for less than half a new Euro but you can keep it running for less as well. Ron

Back