Metal vs. plastic fuel cans.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've seen some posters mention preferring metal fuel cans over plastic ones. I haven't had a metal can in years. Always figured they were heavy and would rust if not properly stored / taken care of.

I have to admit, I didn't conduct a search of the subject prior to posting this.

But here goes. Who prefers what to what, and does fuel last longer in one over the other?

I have 3 metal cans. A 5 gallon for straight gas, a 1 gallon for 32:1 R50 Klotz and a 1 gallon for 50:1 Ultra. I was told long ago plastic cans were for transporting, metal cans are for storage. I believe that plastic cans will let moisture in and also light affects fuel. I'm not sure what the science is to be honest.

I've seen some posters mention preferring metal fuel cans over plastic ones. I haven't had a metal can in years. Always figured they were heavy and would rust if not properly stored / taken care of.

I have to admit, I didn't conduct a search of the subject prior to posting this.

But here goes. Who prefers what to what, and does fuel last longer in one over the other?

Plastic jugs are much more durable IMO. The ones I have seal much more tightly than any metal ones I've seen. That's a big help for keeping moisture out- you know, the aiding and abetting ethanol thing. Translucency helps for measuring contents- I've exterior marks on a 1.5 gal to show where 1.0 gal is. Can't do that with metal, eh?

Nothing like steel rusting through from the inside. BTDT.

I have metal cans from 40 yrs ago. They have not rusted or anything. I haver a 5 gal for straight gas and a 2 gal for chainsaw mix.

I also have a half dozen 1 gallon plastic cans and one 2 gallon plastic that I put chainsaw mix in.

I don't have any use for that safety contraption stuff on top of the plastic cans. Most of it has been removed or defeated.

I have 1 and 5 gal Blitz plastic cans. You remember, the evil pre-EPA style ones that poured the fuel where you wanted it?...without a funnel? Got a couple spare evil style Blitz spouts on the shelf too :p

Also have a No-Spill brand 1 1/4 gal. Haven't used it yet but it looks very promising. I purchased that based on WOM and excellent online reviews.

Seen a few very nice metal ones around but they're pricey.

Anything but the new CARB compliant PIA.:angry:

Actually used bar oil jugs work pretty well, some even have a site glass on the sides with graduation in quarts/liters so you can accurately measure out 1 gallon from a bulk container and mix accordingly.

i actually like the the ones that have no spill spouts for filling my saws and gas tank on my boat. especially for the saws when the gas can is full. other than those two, ive got rid of the "no spill" spouts on all the others. actually fount replacement flexy spouts with the pop top vents. got sick of drilling holes in the cans to vent em and putting screws in em to seal

I only use plastic. The ones i use for gas are air tight. For diesel just liquid tight. :D They do look like balloons if you let the sun get to them, but it doesn't really hurt em.

plastic will leach out all kinds of nasty stuff upon storage.

Have done that in a laboratory setting and seen all kinds of plasticizers show up. Tested and proven by GC/MS analyses. Lots of terpthalates etc......

And metal will not let ANY light through. Light starts the breakdown process.....

If you only store for < 1 month might not be a problem, for saws, sure is for chemistry.

I use 55- 0r 30-gal barrels, gerry jugs, and 1-gal Coleman cans.

The newer EPA "plastic" cans that everybody hate are the one you should be using, if you use ethanol. The air tight seal lessens the absorbtion of water. For the people that leave any fuel container out in the sun, well its your own fault. Bulk storage in metal containers is fine, till they are opened up.

Try filling up a snowmobile at -40 with an epa vented spout, not much fun, but thats why funnels were invented.

The local hardware store has "no spill Jill" running on continuous loop. I was sold after watching her a couple of minutes. The can is nice to use too.

I have one of the 5 gal. blitz (I think) with the EPA spout, and I like it really. It is one that you can open up and pour from, and makes it easy to control the fuel. You can turn it on its top and still only pour out a little bit of fuel. The mechanism could work easier, and it does look like a balloon when it gets hot.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

plastic will leach out all kinds of nasty stuff upon storage.

Have done that in a laboratory setting and seen all kinds of plasticizers show up. Tested and proven by GC/MS analyses. Lots of terpthalates etc......

And metal will not let ANY light through. Light starts the breakdown process.....

If you only store for < 1 month might not be a problem, for saws, sure is for chemistry.

I use 55- 0r 30-gal barrels, gerry jugs, and 1-gal Coleman cans.

Yes, that's some of the concerns I have with plastic containers.

I have two 1986 Yamaha BW-200's. They have plastic fuel tanks. When new, they were white as the driven snow.

As the years have gone by, they have turned an ugly, dingy yellow. And, the fumes from the plastic have all but destroyed the tank decals. :angry:

I can still remember the days back when most all dirt bike tanks were metal. :rock:

Had a Stens Dealer tell me not to use metal cans with the Ethanol problem! Too much condensation!

The No Spill are the way to go. Even when full you can control the gas coming out and not end up giving your gear a bath

When I bought my MS-261, I was killing time in the shop while they prepped my saw, and was looking at some plastic fuel containers that had a very unique pour spout.

They were only about 1.5 gal., but had a low-profile, horizontal fill spout, that could be opened or closed.

They looked as if they would perform very well. Thinking I need to go back, take another look at one and get a price.

Latest posts

Back