Metal vs. plastic fuel cans.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Venting fuel cans

Awesome. I didn't see it cause tapatalk didn't publish it. I have a tire shop just a couple blocks away. I'll get some tomorrow.

I discovered yesterday why the old cans work and the new ones don't. The old cans have a breathing straw in the opening collar installed before the bottom of the can is sealed up.

View attachment 275986 that is the aperture

View attachment 275987 and there is the straw going back to the dead space as the can is tilted forward.

The things these new computer crippled engineers NEVER knew because they weren't taught by Experiance.

You will need a 19/32 HSS or harder (Cobalt is great but expensive) drill bit for the hole. When drilling a metal can keep the bit oiled & don't use too much pressure so as not too dent the can. After the hole is made, pass some fishing line or leader through the hole & pull it up through the filling & pouring hole, thread it through the tire valve & tie it, then pull the valve back through to the drilled vent hole & snap it into place. Voila!! It is nice & neat & works like a charm! As explained in post #22, you can lay a bead of silicone sealant around the rim if you like, but it is not really necessary.

I used to use plastic gas cans but after they put all the safety spouts on I switched to metal the problems with the plastic safety spouts is they are not as durable which if you have workers you need not fragile spouts and they pour so slow when you have to fill a mower it takes forever which wastes time and money
the metal cans are durable easy to use and with the setup never really spills gas because you can slow the pour with the handle and funnel and it fills the mowers very quik and everything is attached so your not loosing a cap or stuff

Latest posts

Back