Metal vs. plastic fuel cans.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad had some old metal cans. Galvanized steel, 2 & 5 gallons with capped spouts and larger center filler caps. I think one was for oil & the other fuel. apparently purchased back in the 70s. I wish I had those cans.

Just stick with the old mill jugs, they're made for storing fuel, won't cause you any issues

Seems no one paid any attention to this post but I have a hunch he's on to somthing here. I have seen a rather often problem lately with plugged carb screens. They have a clear almost plastic looking coating on the and I thought to myself and wondered if the plastic cans are causing these issues with the ethanol and such.

I have been paying attention and seems this is not the first time now that I have heard this.

I have plenty of the plugged filters here lately. I assumed it was the fuel filters starting to deteriorate. I would just clean the small screen blow out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. Next time I get one in I will check to see what type of container they use.

I have used the metal cans since the early 70s and I have no intention of going with plastic.

Later
Dan

Oh good god, this is getting ridiculous. New saws so lean they won't last unless modded. Carbs with no adjustments (or require special tools), gas has 10%ethanol or greater. Now even the god forsaken anti spill plastic gas cans are suspect? Awwww NUTZ! :angry:

Aside from the Husqvarnas, there's also quick refuel caps on other makes as well. I forgot whom made these in the states, but I have seen a few of them last time I checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR-YcyYMrX4&playnext=1&list=PL4781DD3E4C8EB47D&feature=results_main

Oh found it, it was Scepter that made them with the quick pour spouts in the US:

Amazon.com: Scepter ECO Jerry Can with Child Resistant Closures (5-Gallon, Military Style): Sports & Outdoors

Couldn't find their small one, tho. The jug isn't as tough as the Husky, but at least ya have the option in the states now.

Most Auto fuel tanks seem to be made with polyethlene or some such nowadays. They are designed to last 15 years.

I have had 3 of the EPA style caps crack on Blitz cans after they swell up in my shed on warmer summer days. I found non-EPA replacements at ezpourspout.com and we're back in business.

Aside from the Husqvarnas, there's also quick refuel caps on other makes as well. I forgot whom made these in the states, but I have seen a few of them last time I checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR-YcyYMrX4&playnext=1&list=PL4781DD3E4C8EB47D&feature=results_main

Oh found it, it was Scepter that made them with the quick pour spouts in the US:

Amazon.com: Scepter ECO Jerry Can with Child Resistant Closures (5-Gallon, Military Style): Sports & Outdoors

Couldn't find their small one, tho. The jug isn't as tough as the Husky, but at least ya have the option in the states now.

Most Auto fuel tanks seem to be made with polyethlene or some such nowadays. They are designed to last 15 years.

The clear one might be a Stihl. I am thinking to bring one back with me when I holiday there in the summer. I can see the customs lady now!

In most states you cannot buy a Ezpour spout for replacement on your gas can.

The alternative is to buy one for your water can and use it on your gas can?

TSC is supposed to carry them? Ace, Doit, etc.

I have found that certain Briggs & Stratton gas caps fit the Blitz cans perfectly but there is no pour spout or tube.

I like metal cans , but needed a smaller can than 1 gallon, so I bought a case of 40FUEL at Sears, then just reused the quart metal cans. Those cans have really nice and rugged caps on them, and they pour really nice. Rust is not a problem due to the 2 stroke oil in the mix.

I prepare my mix in a no spill 1.25 gal plastic can, then its easy to fill the quart cans from the no spill. Then I can carry the quart cans in my gear bag easier.

Plus, most plastic cans allow sunlight to damage the chemistry of gasoline, and the plastic leaching (as others mentioned).

I have plenty of the plugged filters here lately. I assumed it was the fuel filters starting to deteriorate. I would just clean the small screen blow out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. Next time I get one in I will check to see what type of container they use.

I have used the metal cans since the early 70s and I have no intention of going with plastic.

Later
Dan

I have been asking, and so far they all say plastic.

One of them was that smoked 441 I had here with 20 % ethanol in the tank.

From left to right:
One of my old man's cans, it's older than I am. No soft spots, no rust, other than the scraped paint.

A "new" one I bought at the lumber yard probably 8 years ago (i have another but my brother has it). I found that funnel online from a company in Colorado. It's not the old style self breathing, so those cans don't get used much. I have been trying to figure a way to vent them and recently discovered an after market, non-EPA funnel kit with an air grommet at one of the farm and feed stores. So I am going to drill and epoxy them babies in and BOOM we got REAL gas cans.

The round JustRite I bought at the same feed store last year: spring loaded, gasket top so it's EPA compliant. AWESOME fuel can.

The "black" 2 gal plastic is my lawn mower fuel can. I used to hide it in the weeds to keep it out of the sun, hence it's color.

The one gallon plastic with the modified pour spout is the mix fuel. I can't tell you how many times it's cycled from balloon to raisin. I need to find a 2 gallon JustRite.
View attachment 275503

I have to say that the No-Spill cans are the best I have used which are common and available today. I use the 1.25 gal which forces me to keep the mix fresh in all my 2-stroke equipment.
attachment.php

Easy to pour, they don't spill, have a translucent level indicator for mixing... No-Spill certainly has some nice cans: :msp_wub:

attachment.php

View attachment 275517
View attachment 275516

The round JustRite I bought at the same feed store last year: spring loaded, gasket top so it's EPA compliant. AWESOME fuel can.

....... I need to find a 2 gallon JustRite.

Thanks for making me aware of the metal JustRite cans... manufactured right in your State, IL. I'll be getting a couple for buying fuel and longer term storage, then mixing into my No-Spill cans for woods use.

PM sent on a source relatively close to you...

Is it the ethanol that breaks down the plastic, or is it the chemicals added to the fuel? I buy my fuel according what I'm using in the very near future. I don't cut much in small amounts.When I cut I get a lot of gas and try and use it. There is a station right up the street so I don't store much gas. I use an old 1 gallon Blitz metal can, with a 1 gallon Ultra mix bottle that fits pretty snug on the filler nozzle, and a few other gallon plastic cans. I store whats left in Mason jars.

I found a metal can on amazon bought it after my blitz plastic can pourer cracked in a year this thing is built to last and the seal is airtight. I even dropped it from a high shelf and its just dented so it got a fresh paint job. It has a weird plastic pouring funnel, but it works good. Eagle is the brand give it a look. Made in the USA

I have to say that the No-Spill cans are the best I have used which are common and available today. I use the 1.25 gal which forces me to keep the mix fresh in all my 2-stroke equipment.
attachment.php

Easy to pour, they don't spill, have a translucent level indicator for mixing... No-Spill certainly has some nice cans: :msp_wub:

attachment.php

View attachment 275517
View attachment 275516

You are such a lucky man, to have a garage that clean. I hate you ^_^.

Venting fuel cans

From left to right:
One of my old man's cans, it's older than I am. No soft spots, no rust, other than the scraped paint.

A "new" one I bought at the lumber yard probably 8 years ago (i have another but my brother has it). I found that funnel online from a company in Colorado. It's not the old style self breathing, so those cans don't get used much. I have been trying to figure a way to vent them and recently discovered an after market, non-EPA funnel kit with an air grommet at one of the farm and feed stores. So I am going to drill and epoxy them babies in and BOOM we got REAL gas cans.

The "black" 2 gal plastic is my lawn mower fuel can. I used to hide it in the weeds to keep it out of the sun, hence it's color.

The one gallon plastic with the modified pour spout is the mix fuel. I can't tell you how many times it's cycled from balloon to raisin. I need to find a 2 gallon JustRite.
View attachment 275503

See post #22 for a really good method of venting metal or plastic cans. I'm 99.9% sure you will like it!

See post #22 for a really good method of venting metal or plastic cans. I'm 99.9% sure you will like it!

Awesome. I didn't see it cause tapatalk didn't publish it. I have a tire shop just a couple blocks away. I'll get some tomorrow.

I discovered yesterday why the old cans work and the new ones don't. The old cans have a breathing straw in the opening collar installed before the bottom of the can is sealed up.

View attachment 275986 that is the aperture

View attachment 275987 and there is the straw going back to the dead space as the can is tilted forward.

The things these new computer crippled engineers NEVER knew because they weren't taught by Experiance.

Latest posts

Back