MS362 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearNick

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Stihl MS362 to replace an old saw. Anyone have good/bad experiences with the current models? Should I get the m-tronic or the “C” with adjustable carb? I’m not an expert small engine mechanic, but I’m also not uncomfortable adjusting my own stops.

Any insights in the full wrap handle? I don’t fell trees all that often, mostly cutting firewood. Does the full wrap fit in the standard case or get in the way?

I dont know anything about the ms362, im sure it's a fine saw.
Dont get a full wrap handle if you dont need it often. They're in the way for cutting stumps and the saw wont lay on it's side so you can fill it up, you have to prop it up with something.

Just from what I have read its a reliable saw but under powered. I think I would be looking at the ms400 in the 60cc range. Basically, same weight but more power and not that much more money.

I have no idea what happened to the 362, but my oe 362 is not underpowered. It stomps my echo 590 (no surprise) and easily runs with my 262xp oe. They easily ran with 562xp's then too. So 🤷‍♂️ I think it's BS..

It's not a moronic model. At the time ( a few years later), the mtronic ones were always lean running and wheezey. Not sure about now.

I think mine is a 2011 model? At the time I opted for a regular handle, not realizing that the full wrap came with a higher output oiler and was made in Germany. The regular handle versions got a plastic handle, lower output oiler and something else I can't think of right now that I would've wanted. It is made in the US. I should have bought the full wrap and converted to a regular handle cause the wrap just gets in the way and adds weight. If you are not falling, it is unnecessary. It's only a thing in falling so you can stay on the same side of the tree and always use the bottom of the bar so you don't get punched in the guts top-barring.

I have owned two Non-M models; both brought used. One was my loaner to those borrowers that I couldn't turn down. They were good saws. Both of mine sipped fuel compared to my other similar sized saws.

Though both of my 362s seemed to have more torque, I no longer own either as I have a 036Pro which I have owned from new that I like the performance range better. I also own a mildly ported 361 which runs great with a 20" bar. I no longer loan saws and 4 of the same size was more than I needed. That said, I nonetheless believe that the 362 is an excellent saw.

Folks will debate all day long what the ideal bar length is. I settled on a 20" although with the right touch a 362 will handle a 25" bar on the eastern hardwoods I cut. For general firewood or clean-up use, it is hard to beat a 60cc saw in my book. If you regularly fell bar length diameter trees, I would say get a bigger saw.

Ron

Latest posts

Back