Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting you mention that Bob.:) There was a thread the other day about chainsaw wieghts, fully filled with oil & fuel. I weighed a few of mine.

4000 20" bar-----19 lbs.
380 20" bar -----17 lbs.
385xp 28" bar ---22 1/2 lbs.

So yea, the 380 is lighter. and its a much higher reving saw too. I hope to be giving it a workout here shortly, been waiting for it to dry up a little around here.

:cheers:
Gregg,
hi gregg i hit a gold mine of new parts for the 245 306 361 series and maybe more up north of me i did not pass the emt test so that twice i did not pass it makes me realize maybe thats a sign that it is not met to be for me to be emt anymore maybe after 22 years it is time for retirement from that position

be less stress in my life thats for sure

but this source is going to be holding there inventory for me till later on

july will be good month for me to go get the items
there is them 361 air filters i did see in a box up there some cylinders and pistons and numerous points condensers coils of the prestolite and phelon brand he did tell me he has kohler briggs tecumseh murray ayp lawnboy homelite poulan mcculloch prestolite phelon oregon and more all the parts for a lump sum which im thinking of taking him up on his offer just have to save up for it
But on second hand i may not purchase them cause im not selling my current 3700 3400 306 245 51 71 361 5700 5400 4000 parts

talk later

calvin

Last edited:
I'm not sure. This saw is going to be a shelf queen, for the most part. I just want a long bar because it will look right, to me.

3700 / 380

Bob, Curiosity got the best of me,:) so off to the woods I went today, to try a little non-scientific, real-wood test, between the 3700 and Super 380.

This is the first time for both saws really, I had made a test cut once with this 3700 late last summer. The 3700 was bought from a "Stihl dealer" off of Ebay. He said P/C was shot, and took it in on trade for a new saw..:dizzy:

Funny thing is, it was never taken apart what so ever, He must have had xray vision, or just wanted to sell a new saw! Only thing wrong with this saw was dried & cracked fuel lines. I had a new piston & ring set for the 3700, so put that in it anyway. Inside was perfect.

The 380 was a mess, it was missing the muffler and had a damaged cyl. Broken exh. bolt and wallered out hole. I put a new cylinder and new ring on the old piston. Inside was excellent also.

I had a little trouble with my camera when I started doing this today, lol
Made I don't know how many cuts, and no video.. finally found I forgot to put the memory card in camera..:dizzy: eventually recorded several videos, and in each one the 3700 reigned supreme, in my opinion.

I went through them all and by stop frame and the counter, found the 3700 averaged 21 sec. per cut in this 18" white oak. The 380 averaged 26 seconds.
I like the 380, but the 3700 just seems to have more torque. Just felt it had more power in the cut.
So, in my opinion the newer design is nice, and lighter. The old design won out here anyway. LOL

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0266-1.flv">

Gregg,

Another thing to consider is the flywheel, recoil setup. The 4000 uses a differant pulley and flywheel. Its heavier duty. Have never tried to use a 3400, 3700 setup with a 4000 P&C so don't know how they would hold up. Would be curious to find out, however.
Bob

Bob, I know what you mean about that starter setup on the 4000 but I have found out for sure that it is not exclusive to the 4000. I have personally seen it on 3700's and even Craftsman 3.7 saws.

I have not for sure seen it on a 3400 but it would not surprise me that a really late 3400 might not be so equipped.

Bob, Curiosity got the best of me,:) so off to the woods I went today, to try a little non-scientific, real-wood test, between the 3700 and Super 380.

This is the first time for both saws really, I had made a test cut once with this 3700 late last summer. The 3700 was bought from a "Stihl dealer" off of Ebay. He said P/C was shot, and took it in on trade for a new saw..:dizzy:

Funny thing is, it was never taken apart what so ever, He must have had xray vision, or just wanted to sell a new saw! Only thing wrong with this saw was dried & cracked fuel lines. I had a new piston & ring set for the 3700, so put that in it anyway. Inside was perfect.

The 380 was a mess, it was missing the muffler and had a damaged cyl. Broken exh. bolt and wallered out hole. I put a new cylinder and new ring on the old piston. Inside was excellent also.

I had a little trouble with my camera when I started doing this today, lol
Made I don't know how many cuts, and no video.. finally found I forgot to put the memory card in camera..:dizzy: eventually recorded several videos, and in each one the 3700 reigned supreme, in my opinion.

I went through them all and by stop frame and the counter, found the 3700 averaged 21 sec. per cut in this 18" white oak. The 380 averaged 26 seconds.
I like the 380, but the 3700 just seems to have more torque. Just felt it had more power in the cut.
So, in my opinion the newer design is nice, and lighter. The old design won out here anyway. LOL

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0266-1.flv">

Gregg,

Nice job Greg! :cheers: Both good cutters and a 20" hardwood log to boot.

Is the muffler on the 380 stock? Dose it have that tube running inside it?

It is quieter then the 3700. A little work on the 380 muffler will make a difference in it for sure.

hi gregg i hit a gold mine of new parts for the 245 306 361 series and maybe more up north of me i did not pass the emt test so that twice i did not pass it makes me realize maybe thats a sign that it is not met to be for me to be emt anymore maybe after 22 years it is time for retirement from that position

be less stress in my life thats for sure

but this source is going to be holding there inventory for me till later on

july will be good month for me to go get the items
there is them 361 air filters i did see in a box up there some cylinders and pistons and numerous points condensers coils of the prestolite and phelon brand he did tell me he has kohler briggs tecumseh murray ayp lawnboy homelite poulan mcculloch prestolite phelon oregon and more all the parts for a lump sum which im thinking of taking him up on his offer just have to save up for it
But on second hand i may not purchase them cause im not selling my current 3700 3400 306 245 51 71 361 5700 5400 4000 parts

talk later

calvin

Calvin your going to have a hard time selling those parts if you cannot tell anyone what you have and what it fits. I know I don't feel like looking up part numbers all the time.

Nice job Greg! :cheers: Both good cutters and a 20" hardwood log to boot.

Is the muffler on the 380 stock? Dose it have that tube running inside it?

It is quieter then the 3700. A little work on the 380 muffler will make a difference in it for sure.

Both were given a muffler mod, lol The one on the 380 I bought used from a 3750, just the outer shell, the rest I ordered new. I'm kinda suprised it isn't louder than it is. But yes, it has been opend up considerably.

I like the way it runs, was half expecting it to outperfom the old 3700.
But the OLD one is stronger I think. They both need to break-in a little, this was the first real running they both did since a going over.

Gregg,

Both were given a muffler mod, lol The one on the 380 I bought used from a 3750, just the outer shell, the rest I ordered new. I'm kinda suprised it isn't louder than it is. But yes, it has been opend up considerably.

I like the way it runs, was half expecting it to outperfom the old 3700.
But the OLD one is stronger I think. They both need to break-in a little, this was the first real running they both did since a going over.

Gregg,

Ok, I'll say it this way, a little "more" work on the 380 muffler LOL

Calvin your going to have a hard time selling those parts if you cannot tell anyone what you have and what it fits. I know I don't feel like looking up part numbers all the time.

partsmart is good for these things just type in part # it brings up all the models it fits it just alot of typing involved lol

Couple more dandys there Mark:clap:
This must have been video day thursday in the midwest..lol
Nice weather made one want to get out there. A little to wet around here yet, but I couldn't resist it.

Gregg,

All 4 of those saws sound and cut great. The only question is does the 5200 have .404 or .375 on it? With 85cc I know it would be strong enough for either but can't tell by the video's.

Couple more dandys there Mark:clap:
This must have been video day thursday in the midwest..lol
Nice weather made one want to get out there. A little to wet around here yet, but I couldn't resist it.

Gregg,

Actually I wanted to do the 245 yesterday but run out of daylight so when doing it I grabbed a couple more. Plus you gave me insperation:cheers:

All 4 of those saws sound and cut great. The only question is does the 5200 have .404 or .375 on it? With 85cc I know it would be strong enough for either but can't tell by the video's.

3/8's on the 5200.

Latest posts

Back