Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget me :cry:I'll be there for sure with a couple of poulans, I don't have near what I did.

I thought I would post another video, its the same two saws 3700 & 380 as in the other one. I did it numerous times, pretty much same result each time. This one is zoomed in a little more, Heck, I know everybody likes video and pictures, I know I do..:biggrinbounce2:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0265-1.flv">

:cheers:
Gregg,

Well you don't have to live here, you could always visit!! :cheers:

I don't know what a table is worth, but you got a nice saw out of the deal.

I did grow up in MI so I know what it's like back there. I'd love to come check out the different saws.

You're right about the saw. It has some serious grunt power. The main thing about the trade is we both were happy with it. That was fun.

I thought I would post another video, its the same two saws 3700 & 380 as in the other one. I did it numerous times, pretty much same result each time. This one is zoomed in a little more, Heck, I know everybody likes video and pictures, I know I do..:biggrinbounce2:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0265-1.flv">

Gregg,

Gregg, just picked up a 3700 from Ebay that looks exactly like yours, i.e, black perforated filter cover. Also noticed it had a muffler with the side exhaust like the 4000. Interestingly it also had a flywheel similar to a 4000 but the recoil was a little differant in that it had two vertical metal spike protrusions. Is yours similar? Purchased the saw as it was advertised as having a sored piston and cylinder. However after pulling cylinder they both looked fine. Replaced rings and lightly scotchbrited P+C. Di a compression test and it hit 160 though I think some of that was from the 2 cycle oil I smeared in the cylinder plus gasket elimination. Anxious to get it running as cosmetically its in great shape.

Bob

Gregg, just picked up a 3700 from Ebay that looks exactly like yours, i.e, black perforated filter cover. Also noticed it had a muffler with the side exhaust like the 4000. Interestingly it also had a flywheel similar to a 4000 but the recoil was a little differant in that it had two vertical metal spike protrusions. Is yours similar? Purchased the saw as it was advertised as having a sored piston and cylinder. However after pulling cylinder they both looked fine. Replaced rings and lightly scotchbrited P+C. Di a compression test and it hit 160 though I think some of that was from the 2 cycle oil I smeared in the cylinder plus gasket elimination. Anxious to get it running as cosmetically its in great shape.

Bob

This one has all the parts you would expect to find on a 3700, in regards to the starter, recoil, muffler etc. I did open up the muffler though.
I think I have seen the recoil you mention in a picture once, can't remember where. Sounds like yours is gonna be a strong one. 160 lb.
All of mine are in the 130-135 range. The only one higher, is a 4000 that I painted blue. 150lbs on that one.
I'm thinking Poulan must have, at the end of producing one model saw, and then starting on another model, just used the remaining parts that were allready on hand.
Another reason, now days anyway, is people like us:) that rebuild a saw, and change parts around. Most parts are interchangable on these, so over the years, i'm sure lota folks did just that.
Sure wish there was someone at Poulan, or had been with Poulan, that could answer some of these questions. LOL
I'm thinking, if you were lucky enough to get a responce from Poulan nowdays, you wouldn't get much in the way of answers. Probably most never even knew what a 3700 was. :dizzy:

Gregg,

Agree Gregg. saw doesn't look like it was worked on as it still has its original sproket in real good shape. I could be wrong however. As soon as I get my camera back, I'll post some pictures of the saw and its similarities to the 4000.
Bob

Farm Pro 375

Here's a Farm Pro 375 that I picked up on ebay.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

Note the 4000 style air filter cover.

DSCN0559.jpg

Slightly different style of muffler than most 3400/3700's.

DSCN0568.jpg

Also, this for Bob & Gregg, is this the style of starter dogs and recoil you've been discussing? I noticed they were different from the style I've seen on other 3400/3700's.

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

Steve, after talking the other day and seeing those pictures, I'm convinced you done real well on that in the long run.

Can't beat one of those with that 4000 air filter setup.

That muffler is a later style and it was used on the later 3700's etc also.

Thats a great looking saw Steve! That must be the one several of us were bidding on..:D
The starter/flywheel setup is the type I have only personaly seen on the 4000,along with the air cleaner. But seeing that the 375 is essentialy a 3700, I can see where some 3700's could have easily used those parts from the factory.:)
I wish that style air filter/cover was more reddily available, just don't see them very often on ebay or elsewhere. I like the nylon filter they use.
Looks like it must still have the original bar on it also!

There is also a yellow Poulan Pro version of the 4000, that I'd like to have, but never seen one. 395/400

Gregg,

Here's a Farm Pro 375 that I picked up on ebay.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

Note the 4000 style air filter cover.

DSCN0559.jpg

Slightly different style of muffler than most 3400/3700's.

DSCN0568.jpg

Also, this for Bob & Gregg, is this the style of starter dogs and recoil you've been discussing? I noticed they were different from the style I've seen on other 3400/3700's.

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

Awesome saw!!

Your Poulans

Fellas, those older Poulans are nice looking machines for sure!Dam shame those good saws ended up looking the way they do now!
Great Pictures!
Lawrence

4000 flooding

I put my 4000 back together today. rebuilt carb, new gaskets om the intake new lines and filters. Set screws to 1 1/2 turns out. puled 3 times and it fired and ran good. then i idled it and it died. Couldnt restart, Fuel was dripping out muffler. What you think? metering rod not set right? I have doen a bunch of these and never had one issue.

I put my 4000 back together today. rebuilt carb, new gaskets om the intake new lines and filters. Set screws to 1 1/2 turns out. puled 3 times and it fired and ran good. then i idled it and it died. Couldnt restart, Fuel was dripping out muffler. What you think? metering rod not set right? I have doen a bunch of these and never had one issue.

Not sure what to tell ya Joe, you have done about as many of these as me,:)
I usually start at 1 turn out from seated. Usually works. But, fuel comming out of muffler sounds like a bigger problem, definately too rich. Metering lever sounds like a possibilty.
Whenever I run into stumbling block like that, I take the carb apart, reclean, and double check everything. Seems like the more I have worked on these things, the quicker you do it, and think ya got everything perfect, then ck and see ya made a slight mistake or missed something..
I'm sure you'll get it atraightened out in short order.:)

Gregg,

Not sure what to tell ya Joe, you have done about as many of these as me,:)
I usually start at 1 turn out from seated. Usually works. But, fuel comming out of muffler sounds like a bigger problem, definately too rich. Metering lever sounds like a possibilty.
Whenever I run into stumbling block like that, I take the carb apart, reclean, and double check everything. Seems like the more I have worked on these things, the quicker you do it, and think ya got everything perfect, then ck and see ya made a slight mistake or missed something..
I'm sure you'll get it atraightened out in short order.:)

Gregg,

+1. In addition to metering lever possibly set too high, possibly the needle is sticking in the open position. I check this by closing Hi and Lo needles and doing a pressure test. If pressure holds use a small pick and gently push metering diaphragm down thru hole in cover. Pressure should drop slightly and hold when you release the pick.

Bob

+1. In addition to metering lever possibly set too high, possibly the needle is sticking in the open position. I check this by closing Hi and Lo needles and doing a pressure test. If pressure holds use a small pick and gently push metering diaphragm down thru hole in cover. Pressure should drop slightly and hold when you release the pick.

Bob

Thanks Bob and Gregg, I dont have a press/vac so I think Im gonna pull the cover and see whats going on in there. At least i dont have to pull the carb.

Joe, what needle was out 1 1/2 turns L or H? Set your both of them out 1 and see if that helps. You might be flooding the saw. Out 1 will at least start the saw then you can tune from there.

Latest posts

Back