Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Calvin, we retired them around 1985 and started running Sachs Dolmar saws. These two old saws still have 140-145 lbs comp and run as smooth as if just broken in.
Pioneerguy600

that would be something if those started showing up more in canada means people will be emailing me about parts come august i will have enough 306 245 54 71 and so on parts on the shelfs of course it will be on my new website store

Thanks Calvin, we retired them around 1985 and started running Sachs Dolmar saws. These two old saws still have 140-145 lbs comp and run as smooth as if just broken in.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry thats a nice pair of old war horses you got there. Looks like they have been taken good care of for sure.

One of my first saws ever was a electronic ign version 306A like that one you have. It gave 25 years of great service and I cut tons of wood with it. I had aquired a couple of more saws and let my 306A go to get a bigger saw and I regreted it right away. I have 3 more of them now.

There one of the all time greats in my book.

Awhile back in this thread I mentioned that I still had the two Poulan 306A`s dad and I owned and run together in the woods here in N.S. Had them out today and this is the first time picts were ever taken of them.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201335.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201339.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201338.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Jerry, this is the 1st time that I've ever seen the bucking spike on a 306 on the inside of the clutch cover. Good looking saws BTW!;) Mine and my dads will sit together on a shelf one of these days also.

Nice saws jerry. That one of the Poulans on my I dont have yet list.

Really? We will have to get that fixed.

BTW I got some time today to work on the S25 that you sent me and it now runs! I cleaned the points, new fuel line, carb kit and fixed the duckbill in the gas cap.

Put a decent 14" bar and 3/8s lp chain on it with a new sprocket.

I just wish I would have taken the oil pump off while I had the flywheel off to check the oiler out but didnt bother since the manual pump worked well.

The auto oiler isnt putting out so I got to fix that and then it will be ready to go to Gregs this weekend along with the 475 for a try out.

Jerry thats a nice pair of old war horses you got there. Looks like they have been taken good care of for sure.

One of my first saws ever was a electronic ign version 306A like that one you have. It gave 25 years of great service and I cut tons of wood with it. I had aquired a couple of more saws and let my 306A go to get a bigger saw and I regreted it right away. I have 3 more of them now.

There one of the all time greats in my book.

Mark, I do believe I have expressed my feelings to you before, for this pair of Poulans. They were great saws for us until the original tin mufflers burnt off them, we could not get replacements for them at that time so we retired them as a pair, they sit together in a place of honour in my collection nowadays. Many a good memory is conjured up everytime I see them, only part ever replaced on them were the mufflers.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, this is the 1st time that I've ever seen the bucking spike on a 306 on the inside of the clutch cover. Good looking saws BTW!;) Mine and my dads will sit together on a shelf one of these days also.

They both had spikes but dad did not like them and removed them from his saw, they must be around the shop somewhere, I will leave them off as I like to keep the saw the way it was run by him.
Pioneerguy600

Mark, I do believe I have expressed my feelings to you before, for this pair of Poulans. They were great saws for us until the original tin mufflers burnt off them, we could not get replacements for them at that time so we retired them as a pair, they sit together in a place of honour in my collection nowadays. Many a good memory is conjured up everytime I see them, only part ever replaced on them were the mufflers.
Pioneerguy600

Yea I know those tin mufflers didnt hold up well, the one screw style that came on your later one were the worst. They would always break out around the head of the screw that held it on.

I have repaired some with some success by welding a washer to that area where they break out.

The ones you have now were pretty much trouble free if you can stand the noise. :hmm3grin2orange:

They were a pretty well designed saw if you ask me, with some things definatly different then other designs.

The recoil is setup different, as well as the oiler, but that oiler is one of the most reliable mechanical designs that at least I have ever seen.

Nice saws jerry. That one of the Poulans on my I dont have yet list.

Thanks Joe, they are just the way we retired them around 1985, no touch ups or any repairs other than mufflers, ever required, they probably still had another 5 years or more run time in them but depending on how you look at it, we could not get mufflers for them at that time, that saved them from being run until they were worn out.
Pioneerguy600

They both had spikes but dad did not like them and removed them from his saw, they must be around the shop somewhere, I will leave them off as I like to keep the saw the way it was run by him.
Pioneerguy600

My dad is the same way with his 306, he won't use a spike on his either but he has it on all of his other saws. (Go figure) I was referring to your spike being inside your clutch cover. It belongs on the outside Jerry which I'm sure you already know this.

Gtreat looking saw there Mark.:yourock:
Just an FYI

Sears still sells the replacement cylinders for the 4200 358.8840 and the 5200 358.8810 for $134 and the rings for the pistons at $6.99 each. They don't have any pistons however.

If there is another source for them, and I am sure there is I would like to know about it. I want a 5200.

I will get you a copy of my 4200/5200 owners manual somehow.

The 4200 pistons and rings can still be ordered from Poulan along with the 5200 rings.

I would be shocked if the cyls can still be orderd from Sears. I may just have to try that.

Those saws you seen, the 306's are Jerrys.

Yea I know those tin mufflers didnt hold up well, the one screw style that came on your later one were the worst. They would always break out around the head of the screw that held it on.

I have repaired some with some success by welding a washer to that area where they break out.

The ones you have now were pretty much trouble free if you can stand the noise. :hmm3grin2orange:

They were a pretty well designed saw if you ask me, with some things definatly different then other designs.

The recoil is setup different, as well as the oiler, but that oiler is one of the most reliable mechanical designs that at least I have ever seen.

That is exactly how our mufflers started going, I added washers, then cut pieces and welded them in but every week or so another spot would burn out until there was not enough left to weld to.
I know they were one of the best saws we ever owned and we both liked them a lot, very powerful and fast cutting in the size and type of wood we cut here.
Then we found out about Sachs Dolmar with AV and even more power with higher revs, well, you know how that goes for production wood cutters.
Pioneerguy600

My dad is the same way with his 306, he won't use a spike on his either but he has it on all of his other saws. (Go figure) I was referring to your spike being inside your clutch cover. It belongs on the outside Jerry which I'm sure you already know this.

Well, you know, that is the way the dealer set them up, we had never seen a Poulan before these two and the dealer we got them from had not sold Poulan saws for more than a month or so, he was our Pioneer dealer but gave up selling them around 1978-79. I remember getting the saws with the spikes mounted on the inside of the cover and never gave it another thought. Dad took his off and I just left them on mine, never realized the difference.
Pioneerguy600

That is exactly how our mufflers started going, I added washers, then cut pieces and welded them in but every week or so another spot would burn out until there was not enough left to weld to.
I know they were one of the best saws we ever owned and we both liked them a lot, very powerful and fast cutting in the size and type of wood we cut here.
Then we found out about Sachs Dolmar with AV and even more power with higher revs, well, you know how that goes for production wood cutters.
Pioneerguy600

Yep I understand completely. There were lots of advances from all brands about that time.

Yep I understand completely. There were lots of advances from all brands about that time.

Yea we run the Dolmars for 6-7 years and then didn`t Makita have to step in and ruined the local dealer again, couldn`t get parts delivered and the supply of saws dried up so we then went with Stihl, they have been around ever since but the dealers have come and gone many times. Go figure!!
Pioneerguy600

Yea we run the Dolmars for 6-7 years and then didn`t Makita have to step in and ruined the local dealer again, couldn`t get parts delivered and the supply of saws dried up so we then went with Stihl, they have been around ever since but the dealers have come and gone many times. Go figure!!
Pioneerguy600

The STIHLS! IMAGINE THAT:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back