Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
245a

It Lives! The 245A that 67Mustang picked up for me on the sat. morning before the GTG. Wouldn't start that morning, fuel problem. I took st apart, cleaned it up, put new fuel line & filter in it, still no-go. I ordered a kit for the carb, havn't recieved that yet, but was getting impatiant..:dizzy:

So I took the carb off the parts saw, cleaned it up and tried that. I kid you not, on the second pull she fired to life..:clap: Sounds pretty good, far as I can tell. Will try it in some wood tomorrow, weather permitting.

The 24" bar that came on it is wore pretty bad, it might be salvagable. So I put another 24" Oregon bar I had here on it.

Heres a few pics.

100_0328.jpg

100_0335.jpg

100_0330.jpg

100_0333.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

It Lives! The 245A that 67Mustang picked up for me on the sat. morning before the GTG. Wouldn't start that morning, fuel problem. I took st apart, cleaned it up, put new fuel line & filter in it, still no-go. I ordered a kit for the carb, havn't recieved that yet, but was getting impatiant..:dizzy:

So I took the carb off the parts saw, cleaned it up and tried that. I kid you not, on the second pull she fired to life..:clap: Sounds pretty good, far as I can tell. Will try it in some wood tomorrow, weather permitting.

The 24" bar that came on it is wore pretty bad, it might be salvagable. So I put another 24" Oregon bar I had here on it.

Heres a few pics.

100_0328.jpg

100_0335.jpg

100_0330.jpg

100_0333.jpg

Gregg,

Nice looking saw!!! Glad it fired up for you!

:greenchainsaw:

I think the fuel tank top half is taller on the 245, and therefore the upper handle is a little taller to clear the bigger tank. Thats about all I know .:)

Gregg,

Yep, tank cover, carb cover, handle bar are different. The piston pin is smaller on the 306 so that means the connecting rod is also different.

I have seen on some of the very early 306 that the crankshaft is much lighter built so I would not try to make a 245 out of one of them.

Since I've never seen another craftsman 5.2 posted up here, I figure that I should show off a little. I've seen a few people say that the craftsman 5.2 was a 5200, but mine is definitely a 5400 down to the solid state ignition.

Does anyone else have one of these beasts in red on here?

When I found the saw, it was in a barn under a bunch of sand bags. The top cover was missing, the spark plug was long gone and the air filter mesh had rotted off.

Other than that, it was in amazing condition. It can't have many hours on it because it still has the marker on the muffler from the factory!

After cleaning the carb, cleaning all of the sand out of the cylinder, putting in some fresh fuel lines, and a new plug, I tried to start it up. All it did was suck a bunch of bar oil into the cylinder. Time for new seals (Thanks for the part number Modifiedmark).

I still need to find some bolts to hold the cover on. I think they're 8-24s but thats an oddball size so the search goes on. I also still need to order a fuel filter, because the only one I had on hand was too small. I need to wait until I order a few other parts I need though... stupid CAD!

Glad to see big red up and going. Call it what you want, 5200 or 5400 but its a good one!

The electronic ign don't sell it for me as I have not seen a points 4200 or 5200 they have all been electronic igns and I have not seen a IPL list points for one yet either.

I still have some confusion on the top cover hold downs, as I know the 5200's had the one center hold down, but I thought that all 5400's had the different rear handle with the relocated stop switch, like the 7700 8500s did but like I said I might be wrong..

If I am then the only thing I can find differnt on the 5400 is the 3 screw hold downs on the top cover. And I think those are 10-24 screws without going to look right now.

I know that my craftsman 5.2 is just exactly like my 5200 except for the cover screws.

Cleaned up nice, Gregg! Glad you got her running. Did you make a new gasket for the fuel tank or...?

No, I didn't. Not yet anyway..lol I put a little black Permatex gasket maker on it, let it half set, then put the top part of tank on, then let it set overnight. Not leaking yet. But something tells me it won't be a permanate fix.

Now, if I could get one of you fellas with a real nice 245A, to take a close-up pic of your clutch cover decal, I could try to make one for this one. Spruce it up a bit. :)

Gregg,

Heres a few pics.

100_0328.jpg

100_0335.jpg

100_0330.jpg

100_0333.jpg

Gregg,

Awsome! Glad you got it going!!!!!! We knew it wouldnt take much. Like Steve, I ask what did you do on the tank gasket?

I just got some moto seal today to try on the next one, and that might be soon as I just won a 306SA on ebay today.

I have been kinda looking for a 306SA and thanks to Mike pointing it out to me I have a later model one coming. Its the elect ign model with the manual decomp.

No, I didn't. Not yet anyway..lol I put a little black Permatex gasket maker on it, let it half set, then put the top part of tank on, then let it set overnight. Not leaking yet. But something tells me it won't be a permanate fix.

Now, if I could get one of you fellas with a real nice 245A, to take a close-up pic of your clutch cover decal, I could try to make one for this one. Spruce it up a bit. :)

Gregg,

You can do that or you can get one from Sugar Creek supply already done like this one.

attachment.php

Poulan 47 also lives!

Thought I might as well post this also.:) I got the old Poulan Model 47 cleaned up a bit and running. The bar was pretty rusty, but in great shape. I put another chain on it also. Its a 20" bar & chain. I still have to try it out in some wood. Don't plan on using it for a work saw, might be fun for a GTG or something. I figured for $31 it was a bargain..LOL

100_0338.jpg

100_0340.jpg

100_0341.jpg

Gregg,

Looking good Gregg!!!

You ever think about going semi-pro at cleaning up saws?LOL

I'm jealous of that 245, I've got a feeling that one is gonna run good.

Mike

Looking good Gregg!!!

You ever think about going semi-pro at cleaning up saws?LOL

I'm jealous of that 245, I've got a feeling that one is gonna run good.

Mike

Not a chance Mike..:dizzy: I can't hold a candle to Joe, and or Mark. I just try to make them look better than when I got em! A little more respectable looking junk..

Gregg,

If I am then the only thing I can find differnt on the 5400 is the 3 screw hold downs on the top cover. And I think those are 10-24 screws without going to look right now.

I know that my craftsman 5.2 is just exactly like my 5200 except for the cover screws.

Either way, I'm happy with it.

And good call on the 10-24. I pulled out the IPL to double check and you were right.:clap::clap: Off to the hardware store tomorrow!

Thought I might as well post this also.:) I got the old Poulan Model 47 cleaned up a bit and running. The bar was pretty rusty, but in great shape. I put another chain on it also. Its a 20" bar & chain. I still have to try it out in some wood. Don't plan on using it for a work saw, might be fun for a GTG or something. I figured for $31 it was a bargain..LOL

100_0338.jpg

100_0340.jpg

100_0341.jpg

Gregg,

Good lord Gregg, thats probably as loud as that 71-A is. :dizzy:

I took this old Mono apart last night and I think I can use the roller nosed bar on the 71-A. Its only a 24" or so and might be easier to control with the smaller wood at most GTG's.

Since I've never seen another craftsman 5.2 posted up here, I figure that I should show off a little. I've seen a few people say that the craftsman 5.2 was a 5200, but mine is definitely a 5400 down to the solid state ignition.

Does anyone else have one of these beasts in red on here?

When I found the saw, it was in a barn under a bunch of sand bags. The top cover was missing, the spark plug was long gone and the air filter mesh had rotted off.

Other than that, it was in amazing condition. It can't have many hours on it because it still has the marker on the muffler from the factory!

After cleaning the carb, cleaning all of the sand out of the cylinder, putting in some fresh fuel lines, and a new plug, I tried to start it up. All it did was suck a bunch of bar oil into the cylinder. Time for new seals (Thanks for the part number Modifiedmark).

So I tore it apart:
0102001117a.jpg

Wire brushed the air filter element to get all of the rotted filter material out, then put a fiber filter in the filter box:
0101001235.jpg

Pic of the rebuilt filter on the saw:
0101001223.jpg

Reassembled with the original 30" bar:
0211002305.jpg

Size comparison to my 350:
0211002307.jpg

Some final pictures since I got the top cover I ordered and with an 18" bar (The original bar needs the rails ground to remove a few chips and the 18" is all I had):
0501001612a.jpg

0501001612.jpg

0501001611.jpg

I still need to find some bolts to hold the cover on. I think they're 8-24s but thats an oddball size so the search goes on. I also still need to order a fuel filter, because the only one I had on hand was too small. I need to wait until I order a few other parts I need though... stupid CAD!

All the models of these Poulans have a solid state ignition, none came with points.
This saw is a 5200 not a 5400. The handle bar has foam and a hand guard mounted to the handle bar on the 5400. I have had some 5400's and they were all like this. The 5200 had hard rubber on the handle bar. I've had some of these too. And the 8500 has the hand guard on the top cover. Also the 5400 and I'm pretty sure the 8500 handle bar had more angle to it leaning more towards the front of the saw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back