Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lord Gregg, thats probably as loud as that 71-A is. :dizzy:

I took this old Mono apart last night and I think I can use the roller nosed bar on the 71-A. Its only a 24" or so and might be easier to control with the smaller wood at most GTG's.

LOL, I don't think it will match your 71 in the noise department, or power.
It does have a distinctive bark to it though. I noticed that the exauhst deflector on this one, points it to the ground..If that helps any.
The info plate on the top cover is missing on this one. I think Thomas thought it might have a smaller top-end on it, than the 92.5cc that Acres site has it listed as. Kind of the Farm, Home, Ranch type saw of its day.:) Not the professional version. Should be fun anyway.

:cheers:
Gregg,

All the models of these Poulans have a solid state ignition, none came with points.
This saw is a 5200 not a 5400. The handle bar has foam and a hand guard mounted to the handle bar on the 5400. I have had some 5400's and they were all like this. The 5200 had hard rubber on the handle bar. I've had some of these too. And the 8500 has the hand guard on the top cover. Also the 5400 and I'm pretty sure the 8500 handle bar had more angle to it leaning more towards the front of the saw.

John, actually the 5400 could have came with either a cover mounted hand guard or handle bar mounted guard. The 5400 IPL shows both and there listed as a new style and old style.

Looking at 4x4's picture again shows his handle bar is actually bent back quite a bit.

John, actually the 5400 could have came with either a cover mounted hand guard or handle bar mounted guard. The 5400 IPL shows both and there listed as a new style and old style.

Looking at 4x4's picture again shows his handle bar is actually bent back quite a bit.

The only handle bar that was'nt like this on the big Poulans at the GTG was Steves 7700 being a newer saw out of these models.

Take a look at the 8500 handle bar on CSCC. Then look at your 5200 and this red one. The 8500 and 5400's that I had all had the same handle bar with more angle leaning towards the front of the saw. I'm not saying that your wrong by no means Mark. I'm sure they probably did switch to the newer handle bar during the 5400 era. I just am speaking from what I've owned.

The only handle bar that was'nt like this on the big Poulans at the GTG was Steves 7700 being a newer saw out of these models.

Take a look at the 8500 handle bar on CSCC. Then look at your 5200 and this red one. The 8500 and 5400's that I had all had the same handle bar with more angle leaning towards the front of the saw. I'm not saying that your wrong by no means Mark. I'm sure they probably did switch to the newer handle bar during the 5400 era. I just am speaking from what I've owned.

No your probably right on the bars themselves, I was just talking about the type of hand guards.

That is one thing that I'm not crazy about on the 5200 with the handle being back aways on it. There better farther forward and is a reason I was going to put the full wrap on the one I have as it is quite a bit farther forward.

No your probably right on the bars themselves, I was just talking about the type of hand guards.

That is one thing that I'm not crazy about on the 5200 with the handle being back aways on it. There better farther forward and is a reason I was going to put the full wrap on the one I have as it is quite a bit farther forward.

I found the wrap bar on the 5200 odd also Mark. I suggest a 5400-8500 handle bar. I always thought the wrap bar I had on a 5200 was bent back from a tree falling or something so I bought one off of ebay and it was the exact same angle.:cheers:

Just a question. Do the poulan bars for the 3400/4000 series saws interchange with any other manufacturer?

Im looking for a bar as well as a clutch drum and air filter, and wanted to be armed with info when I start shopping, as Im waiting on parts now as it is.

I found the wrap bar on the 5200 odd also Mark. I suggest a 5400-8500 handle bar. I always thought the wrap bar I had on a 5200 was bent back from a tree falling or something so I bought one off of ebay and it was the exact same angle.:cheers:

I got two full wraps here, one leans forward the other does not. Odd huh?

Also looking at the Ipls there are differnt handlebars listed for 4200 and 5200 and 2 different (not including full wraps) ones for 4400 4900 and 5400.

I didnt even look at the 7700/8500 yet. LOL

Just a question. Do the poulan bars for the 3400/4000 series saws interchange with any other manufacturer?

Im looking for a bar as well as a clutch drum and air filter, and wanted to be armed with info when I start shopping, as Im waiting on parts now as it is.

Yes, there the Oregon D176 mount, same as Echo and some others like Mac and Redmax. They also used Windsor bars in the D096/D196 homelite mounts but needed the S spacer to space the 5/16" bar studs up to the Homelite 3/8's bar slots.

You can also use spacers on the studs to run D009 Husqvarna mounts on them, which is maybe nice if you want to run a 20" on it and share 72 drivelink chains with say a 20" Husky or Stihl.

I got two full wraps here, one leans forward the other does not. Odd huh?

Also looking at the Ipls there are differnt handlebars listed for 4200 and 5200 and 2 different (not including full wraps) ones for 4400 4900 and 5400.

I didnt even look at the 7700/8500 yet. LOL

I have no IPL's for any saw Mark. I just talk from what I've seen. Where do you get IPL's for a saw?:help:

IPL's

I have no IPL's for any saw Mark. I just talk from what I've seen. Where do you get IPL's for a saw?:help:

I've got quite a collection of IPL's, John. Mark sent me many that he had collected on a cd several months ago. Also includes some workshop/service manuals. You used to be able to pull up archived IPL's and OM's on Poulan's site to download but I can't seem to figure how to do that right now. You can still pull up the IPL's on the screen but I don't know how to download and print them. If you'll pm me your address I'll copy what I have on cd and send it to you. Too many to send electronically.

Steve

Thought I might as well post this also.:) I got the old Poulan Model 47 cleaned up a bit and running. The bar was pretty rusty, but in great shape. I put another chain on it also. Its a 20" bar & chain. I still have to try it out in some wood. Don't plan on using it for a work saw, might be fun for a GTG or something. I figured for $31 it was a bargain..LOL

Gregg,

That's another pretty one, Gregg! Good price too.

Last edited:
My 5200 now has 3 screws holding its top cover since the holes for the bracket on top of the cyl were wollered out. Works fine that way.

There isn't a hole on the top of the cylinder for a stud to hold the cover on. That's one of the things that confused me, because I thought that was the main difference. :dunno:

All the models of these Poulans have a solid state ignition, none came with points.
This saw is a 5200 not a 5400. The handle bar has foam and a hand guard mounted to the handle bar on the 5400. I have had some 5400's and they were all like this. The 5200 had hard rubber on the handle bar. I've had some of these too. And the 8500 has the hand guard on the top cover. Also the 5400 and I'm pretty sure the 8500 handle bar had more angle to it leaning more towards the front of the saw.

The handle bar has foam, but it looks like the hand guard was on the cover that I had to replace (never did find the old one). I'll probably end up making a custom one seeing as how I probably won't be able to find an original.

You guys are making my head hurt :dizzy:

I just wandered over to the Mike Acres site to look at the 5200 and the 5400 again. It looks like the casting is wider on the bottom of the rear handle on the 5400 than the 5200.

5200:

5400:

So the consensus is that it is a 5200 after all?

Mod 47 & 245A

Mark, You don't need to bother with the decal picture. I think I'll just order a set from Sugar Creek, Great price also.:) Thanks for that source.

I had a question too, on the fuel/oil mix I should run in the 47. I use 40:1 syn. in all my saws, but got to thinking maybe the old 47 would be better with 32:1 or 16:1 Any thoughts?

Thanks, Gregg,

"You guys are making my head hurt :dizzy:"

Hey 4x4, your not the only one. One thing I have observed with the Poulans, is that nothing was set in stone it appears. It is that way with a lot of them, 3400,3700,4000 have been seen with all kinds of mixture of parts, from the factory. Just whatever they had plenty of on hand at the time it appears went on production.

Gregg,

245A Video

See, I wasn't kidding, it actually runs!:) I think this saw is gonna be spending some time in the woods with me from here on out, I like it.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0344.flv">

Gregg,

"You guys are making my head hurt :dizzy:"

Hey 4x4, your not the only one. One thing I have observed with the Poulans, is that nothing was set in stone it appears. It is that way with a lot of them, 3400,3700,4000 have been seen with all kinds of mixture of parts, from the factory. Just whatever they had plenty of on hand at the time it appears went on production.

Gregg,
I've worked in large factories before and that's how they do it. If they don't run what they have on hand they have to shut an assembly line down, and they don't like that. What really irked me about the one plant I worked at was, they would run previously rejected parts to make quota. This is especially true with the new "just in time" way of buying parts. By the way, I never worked for Poulan.

See, I wasn't kidding, it actually runs!:) I think this saw is gonna be spending some time in the woods with me from here on out, I like it.

Gregg,

Gregg,
That saw looks like she cuts nice. Good runner......
:clap:

Poulan 47 Video

Now, for those that like to cut at a slightly slower pace..:) Part way through, I richened it slightly, and it seemed to cut with a little more power. I think with some tweaking, it will cut decent for a mid 60,s relic..They are different for sure.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0345.flv">

Gregg,

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0344.flv">

Gregg,

Looks like a good runner, Gregg! Be interesting to see how that saw would cut against other saws in that class.

Now, for those that like to cut at a slightly slower pace..:) Part way through, I richened it slightly, and it seemed to cut with a little more power. I think with some tweaking, it will cut decent for a mid 60,s relic..They are different for sure.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/100_0345.flv">

Gregg,

You sure filled some gaps in your Poulan collection over the last week! Another good score there. Starter actually works.

Latest posts

Back