Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good runner, Gregg! Be interesting to see how that saw would cut against other saws in that class.

Yes Steve, When ya think about it. I set it on the scales before I took it to the woods. Fuel & oiled up, 24" bar & chain, was just a tad over 18 lbs. Not bad for a 1970's, 74cc all metal saw.:)
If back in its day, it wasn't at the head of its class, it was surely in the front row!:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

It Lives! The 245A that 67Mustang picked up for me on the sat. morning before the GTG. Wouldn't start that morning, fuel problem. I took st apart, cleaned it up, put new fuel line & filter in it, still no-go. I ordered a kit for the carb, havn't recieved that yet, but was getting impatiant..:dizzy:

So I took the carb off the parts saw, cleaned it up and tried that. I kid you not, on the second pull she fired to life..:clap: Sounds pretty good, far as I can tell. Will try it in some wood tomorrow, weather permitting.

The 24" bar that came on it is wore pretty bad, it might be salvagable. So I put another 24" Oregon bar I had here on it.

Heres a few pics.

100_0328.jpg

100_0335.jpg

100_0330.jpg

100_0333.jpg

Gregg,

Thats a nice looking 245. I really like the bar on there...makes the whole saw

You can also use spacers on the studs to run D009 Husqvarna mounts on them, which is maybe nice if you want to run a 20" on it and share 72 drivelink chains with say a 20" Husky or Stihl.

You mean just spacers to take up the slop because of the wider bar stud groove?

That is just the info I was looking for! Thanks Mark!!

Yes Steve, When ya think about it. I set it on the scales before I took it to the woods. Fuel & oiled up, 24" bar & chain, was just a tad over 18 lbs. Not bad for a 1970's, 74cc all metal saw.:)
If back in its day, it wasn't at the head of its class, it was surely in the front row!:clap:

Gregg,

I'm glad to see you running my favorite saw :cheers:

You can definitaly be proud of that one, as its in good shape and runs like it's supposed to.

Love the sound of the 4 stroking ending when it hits the wood and just pulls.

I got to cut that wood your in and alot of folks dont realize how hard it is and what a good job that saws doing in it.

The handle bar has foam,

That's some pretty shiny FOAM! in you pics.lol Are you sure it's not rubber?
Either way I'm glad you figured out that it's a 5200. They are great running saws.:cheers:

You can definitaly be proud of that one, as its in good shape and runs like it's supposed to.

I got to cut that wood your in and alot of folks dont realize how hard it is and what a good job that saws doing in it.

It was some good old hardwood was'nt it Mark! BTW Gregg, AWESOME runnung and looking 245!:cheers:

I've got quite a collection of IPL's, John. Mark sent me many that he had collected on a cd several months ago. Also includes some workshop/service manuals. You used to be able to pull up archived IPL's and OM's on Poulan's site to download but I can't seem to figure how to do that right now. You can still pull up the IPL's on the screen but I don't know how to download and print them. If you'll pm me your address I'll copy what I have on cd and send it to you. Too many to send electronically.

Steve

I sent you my address THANKS Steve!:cheers:

It was some good old hardwood was'nt it Mark! BTW Gregg, AWESOME runnung and looking 245!:cheers:

Yes is was, and that's why I wanted to point that out. Lots of videos get posted on this site and the wood being cut is not discussed much.

Mostly there cutting pine or some other soft crap to make it look fast.

Thats what was fun at Greggs, cutting in real 24-28" hardwood. Seperates the men from the boys dont it? :cheers:

Yes is was, and that's why I wanted to point that out. Lots of videos get posted on this site and the wood being cut is not discussed much.

Thats what was fun at Greggs, cutting in real 24-28" hardwood. Seperates the men from the boys dont it? :cheers:

:agree2::agree2:

Thanks Mark, I know you allways speak highly of the 245. Now I know why!:)
I think it will soon be my favorite saw too! Another thing I noticed about this saw, besides how well they run and cut, is the oil this thing puts out. I wish all saws oiled this well.:clap:

Gregg,

Thanks Mark, I know you allways speak highly of the 245. Now I know why!:)
I think it will soon be my favorite saw too! Another thing I noticed about this saw, besides how well they run and cut, is the oil this thing puts out. I wish all saws oiled this well.:clap:

Gregg,

Yes and like we discussed the other day the oiler is kinda unique the way it is designed but they work well and are pretty much trouble free.

Probably one of the better oiler setups that I have seen and I include gear driven oilers in that statement.

On the 245A subject, I have to take a look at mine after my my back pack project. I used it on my cousins tree job and it ran a little funky when I was makin the notch. I think I might have some carb tuning to do. I'm gonna have to put a sharp chain on and see how she cuts. That saw has great compression. At worst it might need seals. But I'm suspecting the carb. oh yeah I love my 245A too!!!

On the 245A subject, I have to take a look at mine after my my back pack project. I used it on my cousins tree job and it ran a little funky when I was makin the notch. I think I might have some carb tuning to do. I'm gonna have to put a sharp chain on and see how she cuts. That saw has great compression. At worst it might need seals. But I'm suspecting the carb. oh yeah I love my 245A too!!!

One of Poulans finest for sure!:greenchainsaw:

:agree2: Is it really that much fun cutting 2x4's :)

3500 problem

:chainsaw:I'm hoping this thread is proper place for discussion of my problem.
Somehow very fine wood dust got into fuel and starved my 3500. Unfortunately I ignored the symptoms until it ran out of fuel and refueling I could not restart. That is when I tore down carburetor and discovered the mess inside. Cleaned it up and still no start. Tore it down again and it is full of the same dust. Waiting on kit, I gave it another cleaning and flushed fuel system. I checked the fuel filter and it seems good so I have to wonder how this really fine stuff got past it but plugged screen in carb?
The old diaphragm looked pretty stretched out and possibly tiny leak so I put in the new kit. Still no start luck, but at least I got fuel to plug. Spark looked good, but a new plug gave a brighter blue spark. Bewildered as to why it won't fire up, I noticed it did not seem to have as much compression as previous to that last tank of fuel. Tore jug off and found ring seized into piston with mild scarring on it and jug.

Well that is certainly bad news.
I see where there is an earlier post/thread where someone could not find jug for this saw. I have found several listings but they are pricey. And so is the piston because of the way they have parted it out. It does not make sense to me. You can buy ring, piston pin, and keepers separately, but to get the piston you have to buy a kit where it comes connected to the connecting rod including bearing! What gives with this?
Is there some aftermarket way of replacing just what I need?

I have seen one company offers an upper end kit for several saws which includes jug and piston kit, and cheaper than jug alone. I did not see a listing for this 3500, but they apparently do some crossing of parts because some kits were listed as improvements for other saws which basically oversizes displacement, more power.
Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Suggestions welcome.:cheers:

Because the OE jug is not chromed, and scratches not deep, I have managed to get it reasonably smooth to the point I might get by. I employed a method/fix that was an official Grumman fix for aircraft aluminum known as spooning. It involves a tool that is much like the underside of a spoon and working it back and forth to push the gouged metal back into the scratch.
BTW, the problem occurred at the exhaust port side. Besides the lean burn because of debris in fuel, the fact that the exhaust gasket had blown may have been a contributor, causing improper scavenge. The bolt inside the muffler that holds half of the muffler in place had backed out and was inside the muffler, maybe contributing to blown exhaust gasket. Only way you would have known was to give the saw a good shake so the bolt would rattle. And there is some carbon buildup in the upper area of the cylinder, certainly enough to cause detonation of low octane fuel if the compression is high enough.
Also, in the last few days of searching, I've come across an article related to fuel and high performance saws. I don't think this saw would be high performance, but uncertain. It went into detail of fuels moving to alcohol blends and the effect. It said they burn hotter and recommended "using premium fuel only" if alcohol or MTBE was in the fuel. Prior to these newer blends, owner's manuals often stated to use 87 octane only because it starts easier.
What say you all? (I'd rather tug or turn key a bit longer than have a blown engine.):chainsaw:

Last edited:
I'm hoping this thread is proper place for discussion of my problem.
Somehow very fine wood dust got into fuel and starved my 3500. Unfortunately I ignored the symptoms until it ran out of fuel and refueling I could not restart. That is when I tore down carbureator and discovered the mess inside. Cleaned it up and still no start. Tore it down again and it is full of the same dust. Waiting on kit, I gave it another cleaning and flushed fuel system. I checked the fuel filter and it seems good so I have to wonder how this really fine stuff got past it but plugged screen in carb?
The old diaphram looked pretty streatched out and possibly tiny leak so I put in the new kit. Still no start luck, but at least I got fuel to plug. Spark looked good, but a new plug gave a brighter blue spark. Bewildered as to why it won't fire up, I noticed it did not seem to have as much compression as previous to that last tank of fuel. Tore jug off and found ring seized into piston with mild scarring on it and jug.

Well that is certainly bad news.
I see where there is an earlier post/thread where someone could not find jug for this saw. I have found several listings but they are pricey. And so is the piston because of the way they have parted it out. It does not make sense to me. You can buy ring, piston pin, and keepers separately, but to get the piston you have to buy a kit where it comes connected to the connecting rod including bearing! What gives with this?
Is there some aftermarket way of replacing just what I need?

I have seen one company offers an upper end kit for several saws which includes jug and piston kit, and cheaper than jug alone. I did not see a listing for this 3500, but they apparently do some crossing of parts because some kits were listed as improvements for other saws which basically oversized displacement, more power.
Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Suggestions welcome.:cheers:

Hello, I don't have first hand experience with that model of saw. I just checked OrderTree, and they do list the cyl. & the piston kit. Not cheap on either count unfortunatly. I don't have enough knowledge of these models to say which will interchange with each other. This past winter, I bought a new cylinder from them for my super 380. which is the yellow Poulan Pro version of the green 3750. Which are 60cc saws. The 3450 is 54cc I belive, but the cyl. & piston will work on either. LOL, Now that I really confused the matter, will wait for somebody smarter to come along.:dizzy:
Here is a link to ordertree for ya, incase ys don't have it.

http://www.ordertree.com/ARI.aspx?Mfg=75&Model=3500 Gas Saw&AFID=7

Gregg,

Hello, I don't have first hand experience with that model of saw. I just checked OrderTree, and they do list the cyl. & the piston kit. Not cheap on either count unfortunatly. I don't have enough knowledge of these models to say which will interchange with each other. This past winter, I bought a new cylinder from them for my super 380. which is the yellow Poulan Pro version of the green 3750. Which are 60cc saws. The 3450 is 54cc I belive, but the cyl. & piston will work on either. LOL, Now that I really confused the matter, will wait for somebody smarter to come along.:dizzy:

Gregg,
Been there looking at parts. The 3500 is 60cc, so I might look at interchange, but were those parts pricey as well?
From what I can tell, the 3500 & 3600 seem to be near identical saws and there is a smaller engined version, maybe the 3350. Also this saw was possibly marketed in a Husqvarna version or made by or under authority of Husqvarna.
Due to the displacement difference, 3750 to 3450, did you have to change any other parts besides the jug? If not, I'd suspect they shortened crank, down-stroked it a little. Compression would be slightly lower with that technique and you'd lose a little torque, most noticeable at low RPM, but it should spin up faster if not overloaded.

Been there looking at parts. The 3500 is 60cc, so I might look at interchange, but were those parts pricey as well?
From what I can tell, the 3500 & 3600 seem to be near identical saws and there is a smaller engined version, maybe the 3350. Also this saw was possibly marketed in a Husqvarna version or made by or under authority of Husqvarna.
Due to the displacement difference, 3750 to 3450, did you have to change any other parts besides the jug? If not, I'd suspect they shortened crank, down-stroked it a little. Compression would be slightly lower with that technique and you'd lose a little torque, most noticeable at low RPM, but it should spin up faster if not overloaded.

I had bought the Super 380 as a rebuild project. Was in rough condition. The cyl & piston were excellent, except one of the exh. bolts was broken off and wollered out the hole. I bought a new cyl. for right around $90. I also ordered a piston kit, but ended up not using that. Just bought a new ring and reused my old piston. They were like new. I still have the piston kit, new in box.
They list the 3500 cyl. at $133 & piston kit at $44. Yikes! Allmost makes ya want to just try find a usable parts saw, at those prices.

Gregg,

Correction on what I paid for the 380 cyl. The fist place I tried to get it at was $90. But was backorderd. Thats when I found Ordertree, they had it in stock, and was cheaper, mid $70's as I recall.

Gregg,

Latest posts

Back