Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that it is a big deal, but the sponsor I got the topend from was Chainsawr, and he gave me permission to post it. I was very impressed with the whole deal, and will be looking for more parts from him. I will be ordering another Poulan 3400/37/38/4000 kit soon so i can have 2 good old running Poulans.

Its sad that Poulan doesnt make the saws like they used to, because they were cool saws that were built very well, easy to work on, and ran a long time.

The big problem I have is to decide which to keep, and which to give to my dad for his birthday.....descisions, descisions

Kinda figured thats who it was.:) I have nothing but GOOD to say about him. Have allways got great service from him.:clap:
And, your right about them old Poulans, wonder how I know.

:cheers:
Gregg

Of the pure Poulans, yes. Other than the real old cast models. The 6000 is rebadged Dolmar 100cc. The poulan Pro 655 is about that size also, Pioneer design, made by Poulan.

Gregg,

Sweet, now I know what to be on the lookout for. I finally got my S25DA running this past weekend, but have ordered some more parts to replace a couple things that need it.

The more I run them, the more I love 'em. They kinda have a special place for me, both my S25DA and my 3400 were my grandfather's. I can remember waking up on Saturday mornings and going with my dad, grandfather, and his friends to cut firewood. It was my job to operate the wood spliter. Good memories...

ModifiedMark knows more about this stuff than me, but I think Poulan made several small saw, like the S25DA, for Dolmar. Guess it was cheaper to swap models between companys, so to speak, than to design and build new models for every niche.

Gregg,

Craftsman 5.2- Poulan 5400

Since I've never seen another craftsman 5.2 posted up here, I figure that I should show off a little. I've seen a few people say that the craftsman 5.2 was a 5200, but mine is definitely a 5400 down to the solid state ignition. (edit: to anyone reading along, I was wrong once again it's a 5200, apparently both models had a solid state ignition.)

Does anyone else have one of these beasts in red on here?

When I found the saw, it was in a barn under a bunch of sand bags. The top cover was missing, the spark plug was long gone and the air filter mesh had rotted off.

Other than that, it was in amazing condition. It can't have many hours on it because it still has the marker on the muffler from the factory!

After cleaning the carb, cleaning all of the sand out of the cylinder, putting in some fresh fuel lines, and a new plug, I tried to start it up. All it did was suck a bunch of bar oil into the cylinder. Time for new seals (Thanks for the part number Modifiedmark).

So I tore it apart:
0102001117a.jpg

Wire brushed the air filter element to get all of the rotted filter material out, then put a fiber filter in the filter box:
0101001235.jpg

Pic of the rebuilt filter on the saw:
0101001223.jpg

Reassembled with the original 30" bar:
0211002305.jpg

Size comparison to my 350:
0211002307.jpg

Some final pictures since I got the top cover I ordered and with an 18" bar (The original bar needs the rails ground to remove a few chips and the 18" is all I had):
0501001612a.jpg

0501001612.jpg

0501001611.jpg

I still need to find some bolts to hold the cover on. I think they're 8-24s but thats an oddball size so the search goes on. I also still need to order a fuel filter, because the only one I had on hand was too small. I need to wait until I order a few other parts I need though... stupid CAD!

Last edited:
Nice Big Craftsman 5200 Neutral4x4!! I think ModifiedMark has one of them big red ones also. I still don't own one of the big Poulans, but did get to run a number of real nice ones this past weekend.:) They are definately on my want list. Finally got a 245A. though..:clap:

Gregg,

Kinda figured thats who it was.:) I have nothing but GOOD to say about him. Have allways got great service from him.:clap:
And, your right about them old Poulans, wonder how I know.

Gregg

man that 6000 is beautiful. even if someone didn't like poulan green at all they would have respect for that green saw!
jnl

Since I've never seen another craftsman 5.2 posted up here, I figure that I should show off a little. I've seen a few people say that the craftsman 5.2 was a 5200, but mine is definitely a 5400 down to the solid state ignition.

Does anyone else have one of these beasts in red on here?

When I found the saw, it was in a barn under a bunch of sand bags. The top cover was missing, the spark plug was long gone and the air filter mesh had rotted off.

Other than that, it was in amazing condition. It can't have many hours on it because it still has the marker on the muffler from the factory!

After cleaning the carb, cleaning all of the sand out of the cylinder, putting in some fresh fuel lines, and a new plug, I tried to start it up. All it did was suck a bunch of bar oil into the cylinder. Time for new seals (Thanks for the part number Modifiedmark).

So I tore it apart:
0102001117a.jpg

Wire brushed the air filter element to get all of the rotted filter material out, then put a fiber filter in the filter box:
0101001235.jpg

Pic of the rebuilt filter on the saw:
0101001223.jpg

Reassembled with the original 30" bar:
0211002305.jpg

Size comparison to my 350:
0211002307.jpg

Some final pictures since I got the top cover I ordered and with an 18" bar (The original bar needs the rails ground to remove a few chips and the 18" is all I had):
0501001612a.jpg

0501001612.jpg

0501001611.jpg

I still need to find some bolts to hold the cover on. I think they're 8-24s but thats an oddball size so the search goes on. I also still need to order a fuel filter, because the only one I had on hand was too small. I need to wait until I order a few other parts I need though... stupid CAD!

that is a fine 5400 in red too. i bet it is a beast! i have a 4200 in green and a 4.2 (4200) in red on the way and can't wait. i was very impressed with the 4200 when i got it and i bet it is tame compaired to thar 5400.
jnl

air filter for 5400

I tossed one about 6 years ago because it had a small tear in top & had
a new replacement, not thinking I might need it later. The 4200 & 5400
are the only large saws I have, not used much, but when I need to
cut larger wood, the 40 & 50 CC saws won't hack it.

Latest posts

Back