Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any advice on tuning a saw that hesitates when you pull the trigger?

The manual for my 3400 says to turn the idle screw richer if it hesitates, so I did, and that ended up with fuel everywhere. Should I lean it out a little. It'll go but it just hesitates a little bit. Could it be slop in the throttle linkage?

Idle screw? When saw is warm turn Lo screw counterclockwise until speed decreases, then go the opposite way until it speeds up and then decreases. Midway between the two settings should do the trick. You may then need to adjust idle screw so chain doesn't turn. Start at 1 turn open on both screws before adjusting as previously noted.

Idle screw? When saw is warm turn Lo screw counterclockwise until speed decreases, then go the opposite way until it speeds up and then decreases. Midway between the two settings should do the trick. You may then need to adjust idle screw so chain doesn't turn. Start at 1 turn open on both screws before adjusting as previously noted.

Oops, I meant L

I watched that video of a fine 245A with a bow bar in the Poulan GTG thread, and loved it. Is there a better powerhead to run a bowbar, or is that the cats meow? Basically, what model should I start watching for?

I have 245A SSI with a 20" TOTAL bar and it rips with that. Mark says that saw is capable of much more. I have never run one with a bow but Id have to say it would be just fine. 74ccs and its pretty light. I have also heard really good things about the 306A, the 60cc version of the 245A.

I watched that video of a fine 245A with a bow bar in the Poulan GTG thread, and loved it. Is there a better powerhead to run a bowbar, or is that the cats meow? Basically, what model should I start watching for?

According to Mark, the more cc the better with the bow. I would be looking at the 245A as you said and the 5200,5400 and 8500. If they even make parts for these models to make them a bow. I'm not too sure about that.

I think the big Poulan 82,92,100cc saws like Mark's Model 71A were the big time saws for the bow setups in their day. But on a more modern saw (lighter)
LOL, I would say nothing less than a 3700, 4000, with the 245A being the lightest and with the most power. (torque) Marks sure did run great!:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

According to Mark, the more cc the better with the bow. I would be looking at the 245A as you said and the 5200,5400 and 8500. If they even make parts for these models to make them a bow. I'm not too sure about that.

I said that just because of the diffence I seen between the 60cc 361 and the 74cc 245 running that bow.

That 245A does a good job with it to me so I think there a good match but even more power wouldnt hurt.

Speaking of old Poulans, :confused: Can someone tell me what the button furthest to the left on top of the old cast Poulans is for? I just got that old model 47, had it running today, does't run bad at all.

The middle button is the oiler, and one on the right is the choke. The one on the left on mine is missing. You can push it inwards a little with some pressure, hard to get hold of without a knob though. Thought maybe it was a kill switch or something, but it didn't seem to do anything..:dizzy:
I just stop the thing by pulling the choke knob.

Gregg,

So aftter the 245A I'm looking at the 5200, 5400 and 8500? What about the 4200, 4900, 5500, 6000, S6000, 6900, 7700? Are any of these less than the 245A? Yes, I am indeed a Poulan newbie:)

Any of these are power houses. The 5500,6000 and S6000 are all Dolmars.

Speaking of old Poulans, :confused: Can someone tell me what the button furthest to the left on top of the old cast Poulans is for? I just got that old model 47, had it running today, does't run bad at all.

The middle button is the oiler, and one on the right is the choke. The one on the left on mine is missing. You can push it inwards a little with some pressure, hard to get hold of without a knob though. Thought maybe it was a kill switch or something, but it didn't seem to do anything..:dizzy:
I just stop the thing by pulling the choke knob.

Gregg,

Gregg, that button on the left is the stop switch. Its a momentary switch, you have to hold it down to shut it off.

Time to spend a little more time studying over at Acres.

Yea, the Poulan model numbers ca be confusing. Up to the 6000 models, they were going by cubic inches..4200-4.2 cu.in. 6000-6.0 cu.in. etc. Then they changed and went with the CC route..lol, 7700-77cc, 8500-85cc.
The 5200 and 8500 are basicly the same saw.

Gregg,

So aftter the 245A I'm looking at the 5200, 5400 and 8500? What about the 4200, 4900, 5500, 6000, S6000, 6900, 7700? Are any of these less than the 245A? Yes, I am indeed a Poulan newbie:)

Dont forget the 3400, 3700 and 4000 all came with bows as well. Be aware it takes alot of specail parts to mount a bow on a 306/245 saw while the rest is as easy as cutting the case and clutch cover for them to fit.

There easy to mount to the sand cast direct drives like my 71-A also.

Yea, the Poulan model numbers ca be confusing. Up to the 6000 models, they were going by cubic inches..4200-4.2 cu.in. 6000-6.0 cu.in. etc. Then they changed and went with the CC route..lol, 7700-77cc, 8500-85cc.
The 5200 and 8500 are basicly the same saw.

Gregg,

The 5400 which I like the best is the same as the 5200 and 8500 and the 5400 does'nt go by cubic inch or cc.

He emailed me back and offered a full refund, and he replied quick! I was impressed enough I said I would just keep it for a spare, or someday rebuild the incomplete 3400 I have. I asked for his blessing to post his store (in a positive way), and waiting on his response. Typical arboristsite fashion, he handled it very well!

I might have a 3700 topend from a member here. I would LOVE to find the elusive 4000 top end for it though...:greenchainsaw:

Not that it is a big deal, but the sponsor I got the topend from was Chainsawr, and he gave me permission to post it. I was very impressed with the whole deal, and will be looking for more parts from him. I will be ordering another Poulan 3400/37/38/4000 kit soon so i can have 2 good old running Poulans.

Its sad that Poulan doesnt make the saws like they used to, because they were cool saws that were built very well, easy to work on, and ran a long time.

The big problem I have is to decide which to keep, and which to give to my dad for his birthday.....descisions, descisions

Last edited:
figured I'd just muddy the water and make things more confusing by adding that.:dizzy:

Gregg,[/QUOTE]

YEP!:greenchainsaw:

Time to spend a little more time studying over at Acres.

Here's a Dolmar made Poulan S6000.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back