Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poulan Model 47 spark plug

Can any of you fellas recemend a spark plug to use in a model 47 Poulan?
The one that is in it right now, is a Bosch R10-471.
My feeble searching has turned up a Poulan 3012, but dout will ever find one of those.
Couple of places that had a listing for a few of the old Poulans, like the 50 & 70 series, show a Champion CJ8. Is that pretty much THE plug for these old beasts? :)

:cheers:
Gregg,

My feeble searching has turned up a Poulan 3012, but dout will ever find one of those.
Couple of places that had a listing for a few of the old Poulans, like the 50 & 70 series, show a Champion CJ8. Is that pretty much THE plug for these old beasts? :)

Gregg,

Champion was pretty much the standard for small engines at one time. You might check with them for an application listing. Someone there might know where those old paper books are stored.

Bob,

I'm pretty sure that is a Pioneer/Partner designed saw.
If it is anything like the 475 Mark has, it is a damned fine machine.

If you knew the sizes of the rings you could undoubtedly find a crossmatch.
The rings are really pretty dumb, they have no idea if they are in a Stihl, Husky or Poulan saw.
It might take some time but diameter,width and thickness are the main things.
Most (but not all) are ground for locating pins.

Mike

Gregg,

Gregg, is that a full size plug in that one? By that I mean longer and have a 13/16" hex on it? If so I think a Champion J-8 might have been used on them.

If thats the case a smaller CJ-8 can be substituted for it. There the same heat range, pick which best fits the saw.

What do you know about this series of Poulan Pro saws. Have my eye on one on Ebay but see that rings are NLA. Concerned that parts may be hard to find.

Bob

Bob, that PP505 is a Jonsered 2083 painted yellow and is a Partner designed saw. Yes it is the big brother to my PP475. 83cc compared to 77cc.

It also has the super clean system,(Turbo/Air injection) That the 415-475 do not have.

I seen the one your talking about and if I didnt have some other wants and deals going I would be takeing a harder look at it myself.

Gregg, is that a full size plug in that one? By that I mean longer and have a 13/16" hex on it? If so I think a Champion J-8 might have been used on them.

If thats the case a smaller CJ-8 can be substituted for it. There the same heat range, pick which best fits the saw.

Thanks Mark, I think a CJ8 is what I'll go with. The old Bosch thats in in there is the smaller style plug also, 3/4" not a 13/16". I'm putting a kit in the carb, replacing fuel lines etc. Thought I might as well replace the plug too.:)

Gregg,

Gregg,

Gregg, the Champion J8 crosses to a NGK B6S which is available on Amazon for $2.67. (http://www.amazon.com/NGK-B6S-Standard-Spark-Plug/dp/B001HBUQP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1276978878&sr=8-1) Calvin has them for $2.59 (http://www.cmsmallengines.net/index.php?subcats=Y&type=extended&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=ngk&x=0&y=0&dispatch=products.search) It has the same longer profile as the old Champion plug. Probably preferred if you want to look "original".

CJ8_J-6_B6S.jpg

On the left is CJ8, then J-6 which is equivalent in size to J8, and then B6S.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Steve!!!
Wheather it looks original or not, I couldn't tell ya. It doesn't have an original now, as long as it works is what is important to me..LOL
Might get one, just for the heck of it.

Thanks,
Gregg,

Probably just as easy to get a J-8 is it not? I'm assuming there still being made but I have not bought one in years. I remember the AC-45 plug was the same also. I might still have a new one or two of those here.

As far as I can tell the J-8 is NLA. My searches have turned up nothing but questions from others looking for cross reference.

3400 Crank

Anyone have one of these laying around. I picked up one today but the clutch drum side was busted off. I'm thinking over heated the bearing with too tight of chain. It's a clean break.

Back