Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys ran these? I have one given to me by a friend
several years ago after helping him with a roofing project after it had
been laying in the weeds for several years. I got it running about 5
years ago, but probably needs crank seals, new fuel lines, & a carburetor
kit. I have B&C that fits from slightly newer Poulans.
It is about the loudest saw I have ever run, due to exhaust location,
I have a service manual that shows auto oiling in addition to the thumb
pumper.

I think all the older saws are loud..just take a look at the "muffler" on the older saws compared to a new saw.

Mark, Just wanted you to know that I got the old Dayton 2z463 going that you advised me on several weeks ago. I've had it together for a while, just letting the tank get sealed real good before I put fuel in it. It ran so well that I haven't had to adjust the carb hardly at all but I have one little thing that I think might heal itself: when the idle is turned down as far as it will go before the motor dies the chain still turns. I'm thinking that when I get it in some big logs that the clutch will ease back a little. When the motor is off you can turn the chain without turning the motor over so it's not stuck tight, just maybe a little rusty or something (I hope).
attachment.php

Great to hear you got it going.

I have not run into much clutch trouble with these at all. You should probably take the clutch off and make sure the brg isnt all gummed or rusted up.

That clutch can be a pain to get off with out a clutch tool for it though. I have a homemade one out of a pice of flat bar with 2 10x24 screws threaded through it to stick in the holes to turn it off.

pumper.

I have one that I went though sometime ago. I found a complete gasket set for it on ebay that came with the seals.

The fuel line and carb kit are common parts but I think you may want to take the rear handle off completely to unscrew the fuel line fitting from out of the rear of the tank to put the new line on it that goes in the tank itself.

That 361 uses the common Oregon D176 bar mount.
As far as a auto oiler on a 361? No I dont think so. Poulan did make a larger version of that saw in 4ci that did have a auto oiler though.

Great to hear you got it going.

I have not run into much clutch trouble with these at all. You should probably take the clutch off and make sure the brg isnt all gummed or rusted up.

That clutch can be a pain to get off with out a clutch tool for it though. I have a homemade one out of a pice of flat bar with 2 10x24 screws threaded through it to stick in the holes to turn it off.

Probably might make it easier to start cold, but it couldn't get much easier. From completely dry I poured fuel in tank and it started on second or third pull. I haven't had a bit of trouble with the compression release like we thought I would so I'm still leaving it alone. I seriously doubt if this saw has seen any use in the last 5 or so years and doesn't quite look like pic now, the bar's been somewhat cleaned up and the oiler works great. Gonna check the chain and see if it needs sharpened after I tend to the clutch. The old 4 cube that I got at the same time looks like it just needed a fuel filter so it's running also!
attachment.php

Last edited:
Any of you guys ran these? I have one given to me by a friend several years ago after helping him with a roofing project after it had been laying in the weeds for several years. I got it running about 5
kit. I have B&C that fits from slightly newer Poulans. It is about the loudest saw I have ever run, due to exhaust location, I have a service manual that shows auto oiling in addition to the thumb pumper.
A 361 was the first "real" saw that I bought back in the late '70's. I still have it along with another one as well as one that is torn apart that I got in trade from an AS member. I suspect that running that saw is part of the reason I do not hear so well today.

I have never seen one with an auto oiler.

Picked up saw on Ebay. Supposedly no spark. When it arrives and I check it out I'll pick your brains. You guys got me interested in this model. Shame on you.
Bob

I have very little shame........

Sounds good there easy to work on. Typical igns. Early models have points later had electronic. I have seen them with the nova modules used on the point igns and they worked well.

Sounds good there easy to work on. Typical igns. Early models have points later had electronic. I have seen them with the nova modules used on the point igns and they worked well.

I'll keep your thoughts in mind, Mark. If I recall doesn't it use the Oregon D176 mount?

pumper.

I got one of those 361's awhile back. Posted a video of it few pages back.
Your right about them being LOUD :) Seems to be a pretty stout running saw, but mine needs a new chain, i'm hoping it will cut a little faster then.
Mine just has the manual oiler. I WISH they had an auto oiler. But I probably won't be using it as a work saw anyway.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Welcome back Mark. I thought fer sure you would come back with a rare old Poulan gem.:) You might still, with some contacts down that way.

Yes, You will have to get on the ball with the Wild Thing round-up, LOL
Mike, Andre and Brad, all got some super running WT's ready to go.
I even managed to get one to run.:)

Gregg,

530038729 Ring
530071945 Clip and washer.

Those are from my IPL.

You do know that you can go to poulanpro.com and look those parts up as well dont you?

Yep, just go to Poulan and you down load all the IPLs and print them too.

Mark what is the cheapest you found novas for ?

And Gregg post the pictures of them WT's

Picked up saw on Ebay. Supposedly no spark. When it arrives and I check it out I'll pick your brains. You guys got me interested in this model. Shame on you.
Bob

Your gonna like that 245 Bob. That saw impresses me more than any other I have. Considering its a 30+ year old design, the weight and power are impressive.

Gregg,

Well after reading the WT race thread, I got one coming too, a 2375LE.

Yes, You will have to get on the ball with the Wild Thing round-up, LOL
Mike, Andre and Brad, all got some super running WT's ready to go.
I even managed to get one to run.:)

Gregg,

Now don't act like you haven't got one slicing through red oak like butter!!!
Only reason you didn't kick all of our butts is because you weren't there!:clap:

Mike

Latest posts

Back