Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Govenor valve on tillotson carb

Question for all the carbueretor guru's,I have some tillotson HS carbs on some of my poulans.Is it my understanding that these valves limit over revving or they just prevent saw from over leaning mixture?I have a 5200 that I use in competitions.Is there a way I can swap out carbs or change govenor valve to get a edge on competition?

Quoting myself seems funny but I am adding to the "DATA". If all else fails read the instructions right??? Right on the saw it says you have to choke AND hold the throttle. When I tried this it pops right off and at first I kept hold the trigger and it runs real bad. Then I slowly let off the trigger and it winds up so high may hand about vibrated off (modified mark said I would like this saw). When I completely let off the trigger it runs really fast then eventually dies...Do I just have the metering lever not quite right? The Tillotson instruction page I have doesn't really describe this problem. The fuel filter and line are both new in case that matters, I can see through the hole in the gas cap, nice and clean.

Foolish question but I presume after it popped with the choke on you push in the choke and started it with chole off. After starting w/o the choke did it still do what you described? If metering lever is to high saw will normally flood out. Or it could be caused by a sticking needle valve.

Foolish question but I presume after it popped with the choke on you push in the choke and started it with chole off. After starting w/o the choke did it still do what you described? If metering lever is to high saw will normally flood out. Or it could be caused by a sticking needle valve.

Yes I did shut the choke off. Needle valve is new:dizzy: When I rebuilt my 70E it was flooding and that was the reason as you suggest so I do agree with that.

Question for all the carbueretor guru's,I have some tillotson HS carbs on some of my poulans.Is it my understanding that these valves limit over revving or they just prevent saw from over leaning mixture?I have a 5200 that I use in competitions.Is there a way I can swap out carbs or change govenor valve to get a edge on competition?

Good question, wish I had the answer. I myself don't think I have seen a governer on my older HS's.

I think they prevent over reving by allowing more fuel through the carb when the governor ball vibrates at a certain frequency.

A lot of them are beyond their days and leaking failure can mimic an ignition problem. Block them off with a piece of gasket seems to be how most get "fixed".

Or is it this from the tillotson manual?

"Welch plug covering the idle discharge ports does not seal. This causes the engine to idle with idle mixture shut off."

I swear I did this right because I used an arbor press to neatly press the new plug in. But idles high until screw is about 1/8 turn from all the way in...

Handle assembly ?

Looking to replace the rear left side handle on my 4000.
I cannot find this part anywhere online, all the sites I've tried say "part not available" I did get the pn #11826 from the diagram but still no luck.
Can anyone suggest a place to look? :confused:

I cannot find this part anywhere online, all the sites I've tried say "part not available" I did get the pn #11826 from the diagram but still no luck.

Yup. If one side brakes its the left side as its not really attached to much unlike the right side. You'll have better luck looking for the entire rear handle for a 3400 or 3700( same handle)on Ebay, etc.

can you take a picture of the handle you need and post that image in here using photobucket and the url to the picture on photobucket
that way if i had a image of the part i may be able to find something

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

And be aware that those handles aren't all the same.(i.e. all rights and lefts do not interchange)
If you don't find one let me know. I have an orange one that I'm not using.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

And be aware that those handles aren't all the same.(i.e. all rights and lefts do not interchange)
If you don't find one let me know. I have an orange one that I'm not using.

Are you referring to the fact that some have differant size AV mounting holes? I have some that use a long metal rod to attach the handle to the saw with small exterior screws and some that have a hexagonal middle bar which requires a larger hole in each handle half. Oops. Forgot to mention that..Good heads up! Bob

Are you referring to the fact that some have differant size AV mounting holes? I have some that use a long metal rod to attach the handle to the saw with small exterior screws and some that have a hexagonal middle bar which requires a larger hole in each handle half. Oops. Forgot to mention that..Good heads up! Bob

No I figured everyone that fools with these old saws knew about that.

I'm referring to the fact that sometimes the handles look the same and when you bolt them together they don't fit worth a damn!

Mike

can you take a picture of the handle you need and post that image in here using photobucket and the url to the picture on photobucket
that way if i had a image of the part i may be able to find something

Thanks, I will do this.

Latest posts

Back