Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2::agree2::agree2:

And be aware that those handles aren't all the same.(i.e. all rights and lefts do not interchange)
If you don't find one let me know. I have an orange one that I'm not using.
Thank you, that is very generous .:cheers:

Seems I have bigger fish to fry, Had a heckuva time starting her Sunday, and when I finally got her goin she stalled , several times.

Gonna put her on the bench and see if the fuel lines were changed when the carb was re-built.
Stay tuned..:greenchainsaw:

4000 ran today

Been super busy around here working on a house but finally got a chance to get the chain sharpend on the new 4000 and get it into a log.

Well not much running, but enough to put a smile on my face. The saws a runner for sure. Only got the 28" bar into about 16" of oak, but I think it just may do better with that bar then I thought. I still think I'll swap it with a 24" from one of the 245's though.

Might not get a chance to get it into any bigger oak till fall, but I will try it out in that piece of 30" maple I got laying out back.

I think Poulan got the muffler on the 4000 pretty well right from the factory, and think I'll do up a muffler just about like it for the 3700 conversion on the 3400.

Applehead, got me thinking about that HS carb on the 306/245 saws, and when I get time I think I might have something to share on the governer situation on them.

Yup Mark, the 4000 has alot of grunt w/o any tinkering. I opened up the baffle holes a bit and don't think it needs much else. Have never attempted to port a saw so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

did you check for air leaks, with the high reving problem?

Can I plug off the muffler and carb ports by bolting down a piece of flat rubber in place of the gaskets then pressurize the spark plug hole to look for air leaks in a tub of water? What pressure do I go to when doing a test like this?

Can I plug off the muffler and carb ports by bolting down a piece of flat rubber in place of the gaskets then pressurize the spark plug hole to look for air leaks in a tub of water? What pressure do I go to when doing a test like this?

Yes, you can choose that option.

I'm 90% sure on this next part, someone can post up corrections in the numbers (times, psi values, etc) if required.

Pressurize to 7 psi and if it drops more than 2 psi in 30 seconds then you have a leak.

Yes, you can choose that option.

I'm 90% sure on this next part, someone can post up corrections in the numbers (times, psi values, etc) if required.

Pressurize to 7 psi and if it drops more than 2 psi in 30 seconds then you have a leak.

Are there valve and guage setups available that screw into the plug hole or do I have to make one?

Are there valve and guage setups available that screw into the plug hole or do I have to make one?

You may have to make one, but that is not a certainty.

Try reading these threads:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42768&highlight=vacuum+set

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=82853&highlight=vacuum+set

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=82458&highlight=vacuum+set

There is at least one more thread that I wanted to find, but may have used the wrong search terms. I think parrisw built a tester - try searching his posts.

HTH

I use a piece of metal backed up by rubber for both the intake and exhaust port. You can pickup a pressure gauge at an autoparts store that should have a 14mm threaded adapter for small engines. I picked up a vacuum gauge from Harbor Freight to check seals and was able to use same sparkplug adapter. When testing thru plughole be sure piston is at bottom of stroke. Pump pressure and/or vacuum to 7 psi and see if it stays there. Ideally you'd like it to stay at 7 psi but a little leakage is ok so long as it doesn't drop more than 2 lbs in 30 seconds. Pressure check will look for air leaks around cylinder etc. whereas vacuum check is need to accurately check for seal leaks.
The above assumes you don't have an impulse line. I recall you have an older Poulan so I don't believe its an issue.

Last edited:
If I have to pull the S25DA alll the way down maybe I couyld repaint and redecal. Does he make those as well?

Hi reving S25DA

So should I run a vacuum check or a pressure test? (maybe both huh). I did squish a vacuum check file into a pdf for 67 Mustang so I could follow this process or I could pump it up with a tire pump...

Micro 25 vs. S25DA

My lovely wife picked me up a Micro 25 today from a garage sale ($15). Gas line is so brittle it just fell apart but it has good spark. It looks a heck of a lot like the S25DA except it's clamshell and has plastic parts. And it is solid state with a Walbro :taped: and the S25DA is a Tillotson but they look like they could be interchanged.

I feel like putting the rebuilt carb from the S25DA on the Micro 25 and see what happens :)

Since the S25DA is likely leaking air now I feel like I should just total tear the S25DA down and restore it...

Does the Micro 25 have the same wicked RPMS as the S25DA?

This is getting bad...

My lovely wife picked me up a Micro 25 today from a garage sale ($15). Gas line is so brittle it just fell apart but it has good spark. It looks a heck of a lot like the S25DA except it's clamshell and has plastic parts. And it is solid state with a Walbro :taped: and the S25DA is a Tillotson but they look like they could be interchanged.

I feel like putting the rebuilt carb from the S25DA on the Micro 25 and see what happens :)

Since the S25DA is likely leaking air now I feel like I should just total tear the S25DA down and restore it...

Does the Micro 25 have the same wicked RPMS as the S25DA?

This is getting bad...

No the Micro is smaller displacement then the S25.

Still may rev the same, but less power.

Getting bad you say? Hold on, it gets worse..:)

Poulan 1800 with 10" bar

Poulan 1800 I think is what it is. It was I believe the smallest one they made at the time. It has a 10" bar. I got it new in approximately 1988 and I am still using it. It starts and runs well.

Who wants a 20 in. bar

Have a new Poulan 20 in. bar for cost of shipping. Goofed and bought wrong style. Fits 3450,3500,3600,3750 and PP365,375and 380. Its 3/8 pitch. .50 gauge and 70 DL. If you want it let me know. Bar is black with green lettering.

Have a new Poulan 20 in. bar for cost of shipping. Goofed and bought wrong style. Fits 3450,3500,3600,3750 and PP365,375and 380. Its 3/8 pitch. .50 gauge and 70 DL. If you want it let me know. Bar is black with green lettering.

I'll take that deal if it is still available.
See P.M.s

Mike

Latest posts

Back