Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw Service - 4200

Calvin, 67 Mustang,

Cheers for the information and eyes out, honestly I have scoured the island of Tasmania south of mainland Australia for old Poulan parts and they only go back as far as the 3400-800's which were correct me if I am wrong an 1980-85 series. This is a problem when the saw I own and the range of saws I am interested in are 1975-80. There was a 5400 on the canadian ebay which was seized that someone snapped up so if anyone knows who got a hold of it would be interested to see if the cylinder is not viable for a working saw.

Today before I go tutor at University I am going to remanufacture my tension assembly for the 4200. If anyone has any pics of what the original assembly looked like it would be appreciated. My grandfather was a Dutch migrant no nonsense sort of bloke who just thread a 3/16th bolt through the cylindrical pick which was also threaded then had a nut on the end, just a normal nut so what you would have to do is play with the nut to get the chain tight without tightening then make sure the nut was tight so it did not rattle off. Tedious at the very least, most definitely frustrating.

I have some 3 inch screws which I will have to shave the heads down so that they fit snug in between the bar and the dogs and cut them to an according size so I can put a domed closed nut on the end with a micro fraction clearance from the adjustor housing so it spins freely but with minimal play for the bar pick.

Had also put the saw in for a service because of what I thought was a carb induced choke out at high revs. Apparently the shop said there was nothing wrong with the carb, that suspect ignition/points which the electrical side I am not to well versed on yet. Turns out it was a loose wire coming out of the coil and suddenly what I thought was a tame mid range saw, is actually a loud noisy and upstart beast 2-3 times the power it had before actually startled me when I started it I was that surprised.

I will get some pics up today hopefully to show it off though cosmetically it looks like Betty White - old and all banged up, but it has been a functional hard working saw all its life.

Justin

Last edited:
Don't forget the 4900

I think they were the mid model between 4200 's and 5400's, about
77 cc.. I still have a a 4200 & 5400, every now & then I have to show
some of my old compadres that 40 cc saws will not get er done on larger
wood like the old Green Machines.

Bob those gaskets are the same.
Hey Mark. Was it you that was looking for some of the old plug felt type large fuel filters like is used in the 245's and some of the older saws. I remember someone had a post in this thread about these filters, but as long as this thread is. I'm not about to go hunting for it.

I think they were the mid model between 4200 's and 5400's, about
77 cc.. I still have a a 4200 & 5400, every now & then I have to show
some of my old compadres that 40 cc saws will not get er done on larger
wood like the old Green Machines

:agree2: it is a very nice saw, but there is no parts available for it, :cry:

Spike,

I totally agree with your assessment as to the capabilities of the 75-80 Poulans.
I have developed such an affinity for them, I am currently researching the methods and processes involved in replicating particular parts such as cylinder's and pistons. My only hurdle besides the time frame of development is the lack of parts over here and my unwillingness to pull down my only working saw at the moment in order to make a template of the parts.

As I stipulated earlier, but perhaps without definitive clarity is that I am looking for cylinders and pistons from 4200-5400 in any condition. I am also willing to compensate people for their time and parting with these parts in the hope that I can bring back to the forum in the next 12 months a cast copy of a cylinder and piston as a prototype for further production.

My question to the forum and Poulan owners is: Do you think there would be a demand for these types of parts?

Justin

306sa/Dayton...

Hey guys... I have a dayton/poulan 306SA (it's the Dayton 2Z462)

I need a bar stud...anyone know the part #??

Thanks!

Jay

Hey Mark. Was it you that was looking for some of the old plug felt type large fuel filters like is used in the 245's and some of the older saws. I remember someone had a post in this thread about these filters, but as long as this thread is. I'm not about to go hunting for it.

Chuck, I don't remember asking for them but I am down to only a couple left.

Which ones you got the big around ones or the longer ones.

I hate to say it, but no. Poulan has made nothing but plastic saws for several years. The guys who have used the good Poulans are old and don't need them any more. I am one of them. I am 60 years old and bought one new 30 years ago. I can no longer use it to its potential (it burned up in my barn fire so it isn't even an option) and there are now much better/faster saws out there. The day of the 8,500 rpm reed valve chainsaw is over. They are not competitive, but they sure will cut a lot of wood.:cheers:

Well Stephen, that's your opinion and your entitled to it, but I don't agree with all of it.

+1, we don't say them sorta things on this POULAN thread do we Mark!:angry:

No he's entitled to his opinon, but that is just it just as I express mine sometime.

Thing is though he didnt have ahold of my 5200 buried in a log Saturday or see my 3700 hangin within a second or so of some "newer" model saws.

He is just mostly wrong and thats my opinion.

Latest posts

Back