Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No he's entitled to his opinon, but that is just it just as I express mine sometime.

Thing is though he didnt have ahold of my 5200 buried in a log Saturday or see my 3700 hangin within a second or so of some "newer" model saws.

He is just mostly wrong and thats my opinion.

He's 60 but sounds like he's going on 75. I've got 5 years on him and I can handle the old Poulans very well.

No he's entitled to his opinon, but that is just it just as I express mine sometime.

Thing is though he didnt have ahold of my 5200 buried in a log Saturday or see my 3700 hangin within a second or so of some "newer" model saws.

He is just mostly wrong and thats my opinion.

My comment was all in fun Mark, not looking to make any enemies with the OP.:D

Spike,

I totally agree with your assessment as to the capabilities of the 75-80 Poulans.
I have developed such an affinity for them, I am currently researching the methods and processes involved in replicating particular parts such as cylinder's and pistons. My only hurdle besides the time frame of development is the lack of parts over here and my unwillingness to pull down my only working saw at the moment in order to make a template of the parts.

As I stipulated earlier, but perhaps without definitive clarity is that I am looking for cylinders and pistons from 4200-5400 in any condition. I am also willing to compensate people for their time and parting with these parts in the hope that I can bring back to the forum in the next 12 months a cast copy of a cylinder and piston as a prototype for further production.

My question to the forum and Poulan owners is: Do you think there would be a demand for these types of parts?

Justin

Justin, your on a noble quest and I will applaud you for it, but while I dont know all about that type of production, seems that the cost may be quite great.

As much as we love these series of Poulan saws, we will draw a line someplace on it.

I do know where there is a NOS complete 5200 P/C setup but I won't buy it as its too much to me at about $325.

Just giving you a guideline to go by.

If you get more serious and a cost estimate, let me know, I think I have a 5200 piston here and another member here that I know has a cyl.

It will cost close to $200 to get a cylinder plated, prototype or not. You can send them a used cylinder with grooves in it, and they'll weld the grooves and bore it before plating. By the time you figure in the cost of a piston, I doubt it makes financial sense to reproduce the cylinders. They're not terribly hard to find anyway. The pistons are another story. I'd be delighted if Meteor would pop out a batch for these, MAC 850's and Homie 750's.

On another note, can anyone come up with a part number for a decal set on my Poulan Pro 505. (or better yet, the actual decal set???)

In my humble opinion for his use even a junk cylinder should work, it doesn't need a good bore, just unmolested port and fin configurations. You could probably produce this very cheaply using a lost foam process for the casting, very little machining would be needed. His manufacturing process will produce the good bore and whatever interior finish he chooses to put on it will be after it is machined.:givebeer:

There must be a toasted 5200 laying around somewhere...

With the machining and plating alone it will cost too much let alone the castings to begin with.

I would love to be wrong but would bet I'm not.

Chuck, I don't remember asking for them but I am down to only a couple left.

Which ones you got the big around ones or the longer ones.
These are the solid bigger, probably nickel size filters. I found a few last week in some NOS parts I had forgotten about. These are the type that you just push up into the end of the fuel line.
This morning I also found the other type of filters. The big round ones that slide up on the metal part that has the nipple that hooks to your fuel line

Last edited:
In my humble opinion for his use even a junk cylinder should work, it doesn't need a good bore, just unmolested port and fin configurations. You could probably produce this very cheaply using a lost foam process for the casting, very little machining would be needed. His manufacturing process will produce the good bore and whatever interior finish he chooses to put on it will be after it is machined.:givebeer:

There must be a toasted 5200 laying around somewhere...

lost foam molding requires a lot of machining. The mold plates used to make the multiple layers of foam require extensive machining.

Nik, you guys are getting way to techincal for my feeble mind! I'm still learning how to mix oil and gas! Seriously though if there is a way to manuf. those old parts at a reasonable cost, great.

Nik, you guys are getting way to techincal for my feeble mind! I'm still learning how to mix oil and gas! Seriously though if there is a way to manuf. those old parts at a reasonable cost, great.
With the new computerized machine shops they can reproduce about anything. All they need is the blueprint or one original part.

Well I don't know what facilities he has at his disposal or available in his area and what level his proficiency is doing sand casting aluminum with lost foam or lost wax process so I couldn't make a statement like that. But I do appreciate the fact that you know a lot more about chainsaws and their parts than I do.

I know guys who have complete machine shops in their back yards to play with as a hobby. One fellow who I just help pack his stuff and move to Texas has all 3 phase equipment. His radial Cincinnati drill press weighs 9,000 pounds. He didn't take that one with him, so it is still available if anyone needs it. If he decided he wanted to build something it got built.

If Baileys can sell a big bore kit for a Dolmar/Makita for $200 with a cylinder and piston, chances are there is somebody somewhere who could do the same thing for any other old engine. But it probably isn't going to be done on this side of the ocean. All it takes is the will to do it.

If you want to see something get done, just tell a person he can't do it. People who want to will find a way.

P.S. If you know anyone who needs a 9,000 pound 3 phase drill press it can be bought at bargain prices!

Please don't throw me a left handed compliment about knowing more about saw parts but then insinuate that since I'm not a engineer or something I know nothing at all about manufactureing.

The OP mentinoned nothing of the equipment that he has, and if he had it I would think he would have mentioned it.

I still stand by my statement.

These are the solid bigger, probably nickel size filters. I found a few last week in some NOS parts I had forgotten about. These are the type that you just push up into the end of the fuel line.
This morning I also found the other type of filters. The big round ones that slide up on the metal part that has the nipple that hooks to your fuel line

I'll be getting ahold of you.

With the new computerized machine shops they can reproduce about anything. All they need is the blueprint or one original part.

Yep they sure can, but at what cost?

Please don't throw me a left handed compliment about knowing more about saw parts but then insinuate that since I'm not a engineer or something I know nothing at all about manufactureing.

The OP mentinoned nothing of the equipment that he has, and if he had it I would think he would have mentioned it.

I still stand by my statement.

I'll be getting ahold of you.

Yep they sure can, but at what cost?

You're correct about the cost. My local machinist told me the cost is mostly in the setting up of the machines and if I just needed one part built it probably wouldn't be worth it. I guess if you're rich and wanted one part built they would do it but on these old chainsaws it would be more fun to scour the countryside and find a good used one. The hunting to me is half the fun.

Latest posts

Back