Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know where I can get an air filter for my 3000 project saw? They don't make them anymore and all my sources say " sorry". Also have a .PP305 that needs the same filter. When filters are no longer available, what do you guys do? Also what can be done to fix small tears in filter? Some kind of strong tape, maybe?

Good luck on finding that! The newest # for that filter that I can find is 530010892.

I have done some small filter repairs with seal all to seal off tiny holes with it.

Good luck on finding that! The newest # for that filter that I can find is 530010892.

I have done some small filter repairs with seal all to seal off tiny holes with it.

Believe it or not I ordered a filter from Pat's Small Engine. Part # did change to 530010892 and they accepted the order. Doesn't mean they actually have one but its a start.

I posted in the Ebay/CL forum. There is what appears to be a PP395 for sale in Atlanta CL. Can't tell from the photo, but it is either an orange 3700 or 4000. The guy won't hold it for me even with paypal, and I'm on the road several hundred miles from there. Someone on here go get it please!

I posted in the Ebay/CL forum. There is what appears to be a PP395 for sale in Atlanta CL. Can't tell from the photo, but it is either an orange 3700 or 4000. The guy won't hold it for me even with paypal, and I'm on the road several hundred miles from there. Someone on here go get it please!

Tim my man, I would love to go get it but at several hundred miles, you would still beat me to it.

I have never seen a PP395, so I would have to have it. I think it is a newer version of the 4000.

How many pulls does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll...
Oh wait a minute...:dizzy: :greenchainsaw:

My 4000 s been givin me a run for my money lately, had a few cherry limbs to take, but she wouldn't cooperate for nuttin, hard to start & quick to stall.:(
I s thinking she should start & idle with a half doz. pulls or so. How many pulls do you think would be normal for the old girl ?
When work slows down ,gonna get into her abit & see whats goin on. What's the first thing i should check; besides plug & fuel ? fuel line & filter ?
ah

My 4000 s been givin me a run for my money lately, had a few cherry limbs to take, but she wouldn't cooperate for nuttin, hard to start & quick to stall.:(
I s thinking she should start & idle with a half doz. pulls or so. How many pulls do you think would be normal for the old girl ?
When work slows down ,gonna get into her abit & see whats goin on. What's the first thing i should check; besides plug & fuel ? fuel line & filter ?
ah

I just put my new-to-me Jonsereds 80 back together after a carb cleaning, new lines (3), new fuel filer, new plug, and a new wire running to the ignition. It started up in one pull.

Considering that it was in a junk pile, I'd say those were pretty good results.

I expect the same report back from you after you have completed some maintenance on your 4000.

I just put my new-to-me Jonsereds 80 back together after a carb cleaning, new lines (3), new fuel filer, new plug, and a new wire running to the ignition. It started up in one pull.

Considering that it was in a junk pile, I'd say those were pretty good results.

I expect the same report back from you after you have completed some maintenance on your 4000.

Good luck!!!

But don't be too disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Those saws were terribly non uniform as far as starting goes.
The 3400 I bought brand new took 11 pulls to run. It would pop on the 10th and run on the 11th. Did it brand new, did it the day some lousy piece of scum stole it. After it fired once for the day, it was one pull after that.
The 3400 I got from BrianS is the same way. It may even be a "20 puller". If I'm in a hurry I shoot a shot of mix down her throat and go from there.
The 4000 I have seems to be a "six puller".
My buddy in Michigan has a 3400 that pops on 3 and runs on 4 EVERY TIME!
That is the only one I have ever seen that is that way.

If you find some secret to making them start quick, I would apprecite it if you would pass it along!

Mike

Good luck!!!

But don't be too disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Those saws were terribly non uniform as far as starting goes.
The 3400 I bought brand new took 11 pulls to run. It would pop on the 10th and run on the 11th. Did it brand new, did it the day some lousy piece of scum stole it. After it fired once for the day, it was one pull after that.
The 3400 I got from BrianS is the same way. It may even be a "20 puller". If I'm in a hurry I shoot a shot of mix down her throat and go from there.
The 4000 I have seems to be a "six puller".
My buddy in Michigan has a 3400 that pops on 3 and runs on 4 EVERY TIME!
That is the only one I have ever seen that is that way.

If you find some secret to making them start quick, I would apprecite it if you would pass it along!

Mike

hmmmm ... if that's the way a Poulan man says that those Poulans run, then who am I to argue? I'd be venturing into unknown territory so I won't try and act like I know what I am talking about when it comes to Poulans. :D

I'd like to get one of mine running just to see. I had a totally seized Husqvarna 51 that I stripped down as far as it would go, cleaned everything up, replaced the usual (seals, gaskets, etc) and, after being reminded to put the metering gasket back into the carb :blush:, it started up in one or two pulls.

Is it the reeds that make those Poulans hard starters?

I have some NOS parts to sort through (numbers wore off the bags), but would like to see what those Poulans are all about. Maybe I will move one of my Poulans to the top of my list just to see. Besides, it would be my first venture into a reed system and I could use the experience.

:cheers:

hmmmm ... if that's the way a Poulan man says that those Poulans run, then who am I to argue? I'd be venturing into unknown territory so I won't try and act like I know what I am talking about when it comes to Poulans. :D

I'd like to get one of mine running just to see. I had a totally seized Husqvarna 51 that I stripped down as far as it would go, cleaned everything up, replaced the usual (seals, gaskets, etc) and, after being reminded to put the metering gasket back into the carb :blush:, it started up in one or two pulls.

Is it the reeds that make those Poulans hard starters?

I have some NOS parts to sort through (numbers wore off the bags), but would like to see what those Poulans are all about. Maybe I will move one of my Poulans to the top of my list just to see. Besides, it would be my first venture into a reed system and I could use the experience.

The 3400-3700-4000 series aren't reed valve engines.
Might start better if they were.
Once you get them going tho'...........watch out!

I started my 4000 yesterday and it started in 7 pulls with choke, and 1 pull after the pop. It had not been started in weeks.

The 306A i got off of ebay the other day started in 3 pulls , 2 with choke, and one off from a drained tank.

ah
\

Sounds like it's due for a set of carb diaphrams. Fuel pump side aint sealing right.

I agree with Mark. Rebuild that carb! My six Poulans(3400 to 4000) all start in 5-7 pulls cold with choke on.

I also agree with Mark that a carb rebuild is in order.
A Poulan should never be "quick to stall".
But it probably still isn't going to start in one pull cold!

I agree with Mark. Rebuild that carb! My six Poulans(3400 to 4000) all start in 5-7 pulls cold with choke on.

Mine all start about the same, 3-4 pulls with the choke on and throttle lock on, till they fart, then turn choke off and usually 2 more pulls. My Husky 385xp starts about the same way. Maybe a pull or two less if Im lucky. Having the carb adjusted right will help to.

Gregg,

Since were on the topic of starting and carbs, i have two poulan 361's, and today i tried to start one of them, they both have tilly carbs and i shot some mix down into the carb closed the choke and set the throttle and pulled maybe 5 times and she started right up, however it died and it won't run. Pulled the top off the tilly and made sure that it was getting fuel to the carb it was. What do you guys think is the issue? plugged passage in the carb or what? Also on the other one can you pull apart the coil/ignition and replace just the spark plug wire, or do i have to hunt down an entire ignition? Both these saws were bought off of ebay in the hopes of salvaging them, i only paid 10 bucks for one and 25 for the other, they both have more than good potential of being good runners. Any help would be good.

Since were on the topic of starting and carbs, i have two poulan 361's, and today i tried to start one of them, they both have tilly carbs and i shot some mix down into the carb closed the choke and set the throttle and pulled maybe 5 times and she started right up, however it died and it won't run. Pulled the top off the tilly and made sure that it was getting fuel to the carb it was. What do you guys think is the issue? plugged passage in the carb or what? Also on the other one can you pull apart the coil/ignition and replace just the spark plug wire, or do i have to hunt down an entire ignition? Both these saws were bought off of ebay in the hopes of salvaging them, i only paid 10 bucks for one and 25 for the other, they both have more than good potential of being good runners. Any help would be good.

Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order for the first one.

I think the ign. coil/wire is one piece on those but one of the others will know for sure.

Will it start with another shot? If it will check the fuel lines along with the carb rebuild.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back