Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little foot is only broken by morons, both of mine will idle til they are out of gas if you want them to and the chain speed on the 3400 surely is'nt faster in 16-20'' wood where the real power comes into play.:cheers:

Don't tell me I need to look for a 306 to compare them. I've got more old Poulans, all the way from 2700 to 4000, to work on. Lord help me in my affliction!

Don't tell me I need to look for a 306 to compare them. I've got more old Poulans, all the way from 2700 to 4000, to work on. Lord help me in my affliction!

You'll definately need to find one for your line up. Don't forget to find a 5200,5400 or 8500. You'll be in aw if you do!:cheers:

Hello - Thought I'd throw in a few questions about a 361 that I'm looking at.

I read in this thread that the 361 is a manual oiler. Is that good or bad? I'd like to read your comments about how this changes the sawing experience.

I believe the person with this saw is asking $50. Any input on whether you belive this is a decent price? The saw looks a little rough.

Thanks for any comments. Much appreciated.
Jon

I read in this thread that the 361 is a manual oiler. Is that good or bad? I'd like to read your comments about how this changes the sawing experience.

I believe the person with this saw is asking $50. Any input on whether you belive this is a decent price? The saw looks a little rough.

Jon

Jon,

Being a manual oiler is neither good or bad but it IS different.
When I came up that was all there was and we didn't think anything about it.
It became second nature to hit the oiler every so often and all was good.
I even find my thumb reaching for the oiler on the automatics once in a while.

If you have never been around a manual oiler it will be a hassle at first but after running it for a few days you will get accustomed to it.

The automatic oiler is definately easier, but there are still some of us grizzled ol' buzzards that like the option of adding a shot of oil when WE think it's necessary.
That is one of the main things I still like about the 3400-4000 series, as well as the "A" series that preceeded it. (306A)

The saw in your pics doesn't seem to be in "rough" shape at all to me and yes I would have whipped $50.00 on the guy so fast my wallet would have a carpet burn on it, especially if it runs.

Mike

What's the big deal with a poulan 3400? I worked on one and didn't like it.

What didn't you like? I think it was ahead of its time. Decent power, AV, great design, super easy to work on....oh and did I mention bullet proof. Look how many are still out there working everyday.

Speakin of idle problems. Been using the 4000 a little more and noticed that while idleing if you tip it forward, bar down it will slow down alot sometimes dying but not always.

Jon
You better jump on that one. 50 dollars sounds like a really good deal.

There is a couple of 306's at a local pawn shop. 1 looks nice and 1 has a repaired broken handle. I think they wanted $69 a piece for them. I could probably get them for $50 a piece. Maybe I need to check them out a little better next time I go south.

What's the big deal with a poulan 3400? I worked on one and didn't like it.

Like Mike said, I bought my 3400 New, in 1985. Was the only saw I had for many years. I have replaced bars, chains, air filters and spark plugs over the years, NOTHING else. It still runs perfect! Never been to dealer, never been apart, still has the original fuel lines & filter in it. So if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it. It starts and runs now as good as it did 24 years ago. Thats why I love my 3400 and the other saws in that series. I can't speak for the other older models Poulan made, never ran one. But, I imagine if I had started using one of them, I'd have the same comments on them also.
Sure, I use a Husky 385xp for the really big stuff, and I like that also. But, you would have to pry my Poulans, from my cold dead fingers!
I use my muffler moded 4000, probably 90% of the time now, Its my personal favorite of the bunch. There all the same, 3400,3700,4000, just a little power increase in each model.
Different strokes for different folks, mine just happens to be a 2 stroke and bright Poulan green!!:cheers:

Gregg,

the other thing I forgot to mention, for what it's worth, it is one of the best sounding saws at idle. It thumps along so happily. I know this doesn't get wood in the stove, but it does add to the like factor!

they do idle nice, and i just like the ''feel'' of the saw when im using it. i do have saws that i dont like the ''feel'' of but i wont say which (dont want to hurt any feelings). Another thing i will add, these saw are over-built. I have one of these apart now. The anti-vibe alone is impressive. just a great saw design, built to last.

If I can figure out how to scan the hard copy of the above manual, would anyone be interested? Just received it in the mail and need to read printer/scanner info for scanning process.

Bob

Well I figured out how to scan em into a PDF, so that pretty much means that anyone can.

If not send it to me and I'll do it, and I would love a copy by the way.

Jon

Considering the age of that 361, I would say it looks rather good!

They were good saws and I would probably give $50 for it, but not to use on a regular basis mind you as I don't care for manual only oiler saws.

Latest posts

Back