Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys just wanted some more opinions before i started getting crazy lol. I like these old saws it is disappointing though when you can't get parts as easily as the other saw manufacturers, but that is half the fun it is like a scavenger hunt. I hope somebody else knows about that ignition for sure. Also does anyone know the one has a shroud like piece of metal around the sparkplug kinda looks like some kind of heat shield, and the muffler isn't the hollow cast type, but it has a factory looking louvered cover on it. The other saw has the cast muffler and no shielding by the spark plug. Is one older than the other? I have no idea what to think and i would like to learn more about these two saws and the whole 361 model.

Poulan Pro 505

Here are a few pictures of a Poulan Pro 505 I bought recently. The previous owner bought it off ebay from a supposed estate sale. The saw was in the Pennsylvania area at some point in its life indicated by a sticker on the filter cover of a store in PA that either sold it or worked on it. The p.o. hadn't used it for several years and moved from his house in the hills where he used it to cut down pine beetle affected trees. He couldn't get it started but I don't think he tried too hard. He posted it on craigslist as being a "50+ cc saw" and I think he thought it was a 50.5cc.

I bought it and brought it home. I got it running on the old mix it had in it without much trouble. Since it ran fine I took it apart to get it cleaned up. Other than needing a chain for the 24" bar (looks to be an Oregon) and a few bits of hardware the thing is in great shape. I have run two tanks of gas through it and have it tuned up nicely now. It seems to be a real nice saw despite having a lot of plastic.

Thanks to those who helped me find information on this saw. If anyone needs the Owners Manual, Workshop Manual, or IPL for these saws let me know and I can send them to you.

Here are some pictures of it:

Nice saw Chris! It cleaned up well. I don't know a thing about those saws from Poulan, but don't look bad to me.:) There is a big difference in a 50cc saw and 83cc. I don't recall ever seeing one. You do see the smaller 50-60cc models ocasionally. Enjoy it!

Gregg,

Thanks. The saw really is in nice shape and the piston and cylinder look good from the exhaust port too. This saw is essentially a Jonsered 2083 with Poulan colors and stickers (thanks SawTroll) and the Jonsered 2083 is supposedly a Pioneer/Partner design. I was thinking of posting it in each manufacturers thread but I figured there would be some people who didn't like it!

I believe it is and is still available from Oregon. If memory serves me correctly, I've seen them on EBay. You'll be more than happy with 3/8 7 pin.

I have a 7pin rim style on 2 of my Poulans and 2 with the spur syle. I prefer the rim style, but honestly can't tell the difference. I believe both 7&8 are available from Bailey's also. The curiosity bug hasn't bit me hard enough to try an 8 pin yet though. :)

Gregg,

Pooulan 2700,2800,3000,3300 PP285,305,335 Svc. Manual

If I can figure out how to scan the hard copy of the above manual, would anyone be interested? Just received it in the mail and need to read printer/scanner info for scanning process.

Bob

I wonder if you could just post it in the social group?

Not sure I understand Nik. Do you mean post svc. manual in the social group? After thinking about it I guess that's exactly what your suggesting. Good idea as it would save me doing it individually for anyone who wants one. You're the man!

Bob

I believe it is and is still available from Oregon. If memory serves me correctly, I've seen them on EBay. You'll be more than happy with 3/8 7 pin.

well since I muffler modded my 3400, it pulls hard and is pretty hard to bog down with my 20" and a 7 pin. That is all these saws lack is chain speed. That 12k seems slow after running my ms460 at 14k with an 8 pin. I think I will try it. But alas, i seem to have run into a problem with the 3700. After a quick tear down and cleaning, it seems that my coil is bad?? It is cutting out before reaching full rpm's. Almost like im hitting the kill switch. And before anybody suggests, yes I checked the gap, changed the plug and disconnected the kill switch wire with no change. Anybody got a coil to spare???

What's the big deal with a poulan 3400? I worked on one and didn't like it.

What's not to like...comparing apples to apples... it is a 30 year old saw, so it's not as smooth as the 361 but nothing was back then.
They will still cut all the wood in a morning that I want to load and unload in an evening!

Thanks. The saw really is in nice shape and the piston and cylinder look good from the exhaust port too. This saw is essentially a Jonsered 2083 with Poulan colors and stickers (thanks SawTroll) and the Jonsered 2083 is supposedly a Pioneer/Partner design. I was thinking of posting it in each manufacturers thread but I figured there would be some people who didn't like it!

I had 2 505's that I bought new from baileys in 2002. They are the exact saw of the partner 7700. Good saws. I ran 36'' windsor speedtip on mine and it pulled it fine at 82.4cc. Dad runs 28'' speedtip on the 1 that I gave him and it is his go to saw for over 18-20'' wood. He likes his 306 for 10-20'' wood.:greenchainsaw:

Not trying to start any arguements with my fellow POULAN BUDDIES but wanted to ask which saw everyone likes better. The 306A or the 3400 that relaced it. Please include why you like it better. I have owned a ton of both models and my vote goes to the 306. More HP, more torque and no plastic what so ever. Not to mention it SOUNDS alot better than the 3400.

Remember we're all buds here!:cheers:

Not trying to start any arguements with my fellow POULAN BUDDIES but wanted to ask which saw everyone likes better. The 306A or the 3400 that relaced it. Please include why you like it better. I have owned a ton of both models and my vote goes to the 306. More HP, more torque and no plastic what so ever. Not to mention it SOUNDS alot better than the 3400.

Remember we're all buds here!:cheers:

I like them both but will have to choose the 3400 over the 306.
The 306 had the little foot that was always broken so they wanted to roll over when you sat them down, I never operated one that would idle if you set it down to move brush, the mufflers were prone to burning up (I understand the later mufflers didn't do that) faster chain speed on the 3400, COUNTERVIBE, easier access air filters on 3400, and last but not least, sentiment.
3400 Poulan was the first saw I ever ran that I owned.
It wasn't my Dads, or my brother-in-laws, or someones I was working for, it was mine all mine!
Bought and paid for with the receipt in the glove box of my truck!

Mike

Never used a 306 so I have no basis for comparison. Love my 3400, which I also bought new. Actually rebuilt it due to a busted oil feed line this spring. Put old carb back on w/o a rebuild and it started right up. Obviously was lucky with carb but I wasn't about to tempt fate by rebuilding it after it ran great.

I like them both but will have to choose the 3400 over the 306.
The 306 had the little foot that was always broken so they wanted to roll over when you sat them down, I never operated one that would idle if you set it down to move brush, the mufflers were prone to burning up (I understand the later mufflers didn't do that) faster chain speed on the 3400, COUNTERVIBE, easier access air filters on 3400, and last but not least, sentiment.
3400 Poulan was the first saw I ever ran that I owned.
It wasn't my Dads, or my brother-in-laws, or someones I was working for, it was mine all mine!
Bought and paid for with the receipt in the glove box of my truck!

Mike

The little foot is only broken by morons, both of mine will idle til they are out of gas if you want them to and the chain speed on the 3400 surely is'nt faster in 16-20'' wood where the real power comes into play.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back