Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've fixed a few saws in my day, and always run the fuel to the bulb, then the carb, then the tank. But after consult with the kind and knowledgeable folks at zama.com I will amend my sinful ways.

Yeah, I came across pretty high minded there, but we know I'm not really that way. I agree with most of what you said, Mark, and it was you and Mike I was chastising, as you two I feel I know a little bit sos I can. .
I think all's cool :)

I may have to learn to post pictures on here, cause I'm thinking that the 46cc green saw that says super clean on the side (something to that effect) was made in 2001, so could that be a 2800 (he said with his fingers crossed). .
The easiest way way for me to tell what series is, The 2800-3300 series saws have a seperate air cleaner cover. The newer style (Clam shell engine)saws have a one piece top cover. Also, I don't think any of the older 2800-3300 saws were "super-clean"
Now just to throw a monkey wrench into this, The 2900 saw is not in the 2800-3300 series, as far as I know the 2900 is a clam-shell engine.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Your right Brian. I think a lot of folks think that a primer bulb "pumps" fuel to the carb. When in fact, they draw fuel (suck) from carb and return it to the tank.
I don't have a handy diagram available. There should be a line from tank to carb. A line from the carb to the (suction) side of the primer bulb. And then a line from the exit side of primer bulb back to tank. I think thats the way it works.:)
:cheers:
Gregg,

attachment.php

Nice looking saw. Id have a hard time selling it.

Thanks Joe, I really don't want to sell it, but was offered $225 for it if I got the 24" B&C, so $80 purchase with shipping, + $85 for the B&C, $60 profit, I'd say I'm making out OK. Now to look for mint 3400-4000.

The easiest way way for me to tell what series is, The 2800-3300 series saws have a seperate air cleaner cover. The newer style (Clam shell engine)saws have a one piece top cover. Also, I don't think any of the older 2800-3300 saws were "super-clean"
Now just to throw a monkey wrench into this, The 2900 saw is not in the 2800-3300 series, as far as I know the 2900 is a clam-shell engine.
Hope this helps.
Jim

I think you are right, I just worked on a 2750 20" and the IPL is for 2200, 2500, 2600, 2750, 2900, 3050,

The 3300 series falls into the 2700, 2800, 3000, 3100, 3300

Poulan 4200

Started and ran my 4200. Cut two cookies in hardwood and it ran great. Out of the cut I gave the saw full throttle and it stumbles and dies unless you let up on the throttle. Will have to relook at carb, etc. Question: Does the Tillottson HS168a carb have a governor and might this be the culprit? If so how do you disable it? Thanks
Bob

primer (air purge) fuel line routing

The primer in return makes more sense, that way the primer would only
be in fuel circuit on cold starts. The PP260 I have, the primer is on supply
side, I could have done it wrong replacing fuel lines or it may been
done wrong @ assembly (it has a Hecho en Mexico sticker). I tried to
tell how the Swedes had routed fuel lines on the 435, but couldn't make
out for sure inside tank. I was going to pull the carburetor on PP260 anyway,
will switch fuel line routing then.

4200 governor: I think M Mark has posted about governor on 5200 or 5400,
may not apply to 4200.

Mark has posted about the governors on the HS carbs before. Can't remember if it applies to the 5200, either. If it has the governor he has suggested blocking it off with a piece of heavy aluminum foil from a pie pan by cutting a round piece out large enough to fit correctly into the orifice and screwing the governor back in IIRC.

governor valve on 4200, probably not, 5200 probably yes

I looked a the IPL I have for that series (have a 4200 & 5400);
the carburetor view showed a governor, but the notes said 5200 only

Mark has posted about the governors on the HS carbs before. Can't remember if it applies to the 5200, either. If it has the governor he has suggested blocking it off with a piece of heavy aluminum foil from a pie pan by cutting a round piece out large enough to fit correctly into the orifice and screwing the governor back in IIRC.

I know Mark said the 5200 has a governor. I'll have to look at 5200 to see what diff. there is in the two carbs. I pulled carb and reset metering needle as it looked a little high. Tomorrow I'll see if that does the trick. Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a lot of tolerance in metering lever heights. They have to be right on or no go. At least that's my experience.
Bob

Hope this helps.
Jim

Correct!

I think you are right, I just worked on a 2750 20" and the IPL is for 2200, 2500, 2600, 2750, 2900, 3050,

The 3300 series falls into the 2700, 2800, 3000, 3100, 3300

Yep!

I looked a the IPL I have for that series (have a 4200 & 5400);
the carburetor view showed a governor, but the notes said 5200 only

Thats right, the HS 168 on the 4200 has no governor on it.

The 5200 has a HS 176 (I think!) carb and it does have a governor on it.

Be honest I wouldn't know where to look for the governor if it had one. Maybe I'll look at my 5200 and see what the differance is. Thanks.
Bob

Bob, you will find the governor in the side of the carb by where the choke lever attach's to it. It is made of brass and take heed, DO NOT try to remove it without a screw driver that matches the slot in it perfectly. It needs to me like a gunsmiths screwdriver if you know what I mean.

Those things are in there tight and you will peel the soft brass slot out if the screwdriver don't fit it correctly!

Canadian 3000 arrived today

The Orange 3000 arrived today! :givebeer:

Just so you guys are aware, it did come from Bob Dunshee and thats why I bought it as I expected it to be good shape and it was.

Seems to run good, just going to do a couple little fixups on it and it's going to be great.

I think Bob has posted pictures of the saw here before.

Correct!

Yep!

Thats right, the HS 168 on the 4200 has no governor on it.

The 5200 has a HS 176 (I think!) carb and it does have a governor on it.
Bob, you will find the governor in the side of the carb by where the choke lever attach's to it. It is made of brass and take heed, DO NOT try to remove it without a screw driver that matches the slot in it perfectly. It needs to me like a gunsmiths screwdriver if you know what I mean.

Those things are in there tight and you will peel the soft brass slot out if the screwdriver don't fit it correctly!

Mark, looks like someone replaced original carb on my 5200 with the 4200 HS168A. Both saws show the same carb. Guess there is no governor to worry about. Thanks for info.

Sounds like Bob's cleaning house. I just got a very nice 4000 from him today to fill in my Poulan collection. As soon as I get a nice looking bar to go on it and time to take some pics, I'll get them posted on there. Thanks, Bob! :cheers:

Sounds like Bob's cleaning house. I just got a very nice 4000 from him today to fill in my Poulan collection. As soon as I get a nice looking bar to go on it and time to take some pics, I'll get them posted on there. Thanks, Bob! :cheers:

Well what else you got to get rid of Bob?

Well what else you got to get rid of Bob?

Oh I'm just culling the herd. Want to get into the 100cc club or close to it. Have a Husky 288XP in Vermont so a 066 doesn't seem to be big enough of a differance, cc wise. 088 is too expensive and overkill so I may have to look for a Husky 2100XP or something similar. Don't ask me why I need something that big. Only other saws I may sell in the future are a Skil 1647 and a Dayton of the same size. Poulan 3400 clones so I doubt they'd get 3400 money.

Latest posts

Back