Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gregg, isn't that 47 also 92cc? I thought it was pretty much the same as the 71-A except it don't have a auto oiler.

Mark, I have never been sure what the model 47 is. cc wise. I think Thomas72 thought they put a smaller top end on them. It just doesn't seem to be on par with the 71A, thats sure. Its either 82cc or 92cc. Its old and loud, but not as loud as your 71a, LOL

:cheers:
Gregg,

How did you ruin it?
Drill too deep?

I might have one. I'll look tomorrow.

Mike

Screwed up the Lo speed welch plug. IN prying it out I gauged the outside edge. Probably was clean anway as Hi speed plug was. Saw just wouldn't run at HI speed. Kept dying. Switched carb from my 5200 on to the 4200 and it ran great. Beats me what problem was. Must of had the carb off and apart 5 times and still no success.

Fired the wood furnace up Monday. Been cutting pretty steady lately. Trying to get a jump on next years supply for myself and what I sell to some friends & neighbors.:)
WoodPics011.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Great looking pile; better looking barn. I'm envious
bob

coil swap

so anyone know of a coil that will swapout on a 25da??? its the module its not a points saw or any body have a good used one to sell or trade ?i really dont want to change the saw to points etc wanna keep it as it came originally... poulan 2000 coil does not bolt up any one know one that will looked on ebay also...

Well tried to remove welch plugs as carb was running terrible and that was the only option left. Unfortunately I ruined carb. Anyone have a line on a Tillotson HS168A? None on Ebay to date.
Bob

Well, do I have egg on my face. Notice that my original post said "welch plugs". Well, don't you know there is only one welch plug and the small brass colored "plug" isn't a welch plug! No wonder I couldn't get it out, try as I may. Also, no wonder carb is now kaput. Got a feeling this is going to cost me.
Bob

Mark,
Actually, I have very little knowlege of the saws dimensions, but 67Mustang
can measre his bore as his saw is apart at present. As always when I want to log-test one of my two-mans, I'm the only person around. This has been the case since I started collecting. When a friend does drop by, we're either too busy on other saws or the particular friend is a "fraidy-cat" and won't touch a saw that big. So I don't know yet how it cuts!
My friend in Amelia, Va. has a good running 52 and 44 and both cut nicely and on a par with it's contemporaries with the exception of the Mercurys.
These motors are the easiest to start of any saws I have,including the one mans. I have another 52 and a Lombard GS-7 that will light on the second pull from cold.
Sorry I can't be of more help..............I need some myself!
Dean C (Igpoe):cheers:

We were going to stick that 52 in some wood last week but it started raining on us and I didn't bring my tripod to set up anyway. I can put up some video's of David Harsh's 52's from the Campbell Co., VA heritage festival when I get a chance. Like now!

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEfV0gGTxyc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEfV0gGTxyc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Note that the flywheel on these things has no recoil. They start the old fashioned way, by wrapping a start rope around it and pulling. (Watch that the knotted end of the rope don't flap you somewhere where it hurts when it pulls out of the flywheel.) Some of us remember when our lawnmowers and chainsaws started this way. BTW, love to hear that 52 running! :blob2:

Last edited:
Poulan 245 bow saw

I was out this morning looking at some peanut equipment and asked the seller if he had any old saws he might want to get rid of. He said he did and led me to a shed where he had a 2000 (with 2300 clutch cover) and this 245 bow saw that belonged to his grandfather. I made him an offer on the bow saw and he is going to think it over. Has not run since Hurricane Isabel in 2003 and is mighty dirty.

Poulan245bowsaw002.jpg

Poulan245bowsaw001.jpg

Since I missed out on the 306 bow saw that Mark was interested in several weeks ago I might pursue this one.

Hard to tell from that picture, my gut tells me that may not be a 245. That might be a earlier version of that 200 series.

If you get the chance look at the tag on the bottom of the fan housing. If its a 245 it will say so and from what I have seen so far the earlier verisons of the 200 series only had the serial# on that tag, while the model # was on the tank decal.

If the price is right, grab that puppy either way.

Hard to tell from that picture, my gut tells me that may not be a 245. That might be a earlier version of that 200 series.

If you get the chance look at the tag on the bottom of the fan housing. If its a 245 it will say so and from what I have seen so far the earlier verisons of the 200 series only had the serial# on that tag, while the model # was on the tank decal.

If the price is right, grab that puppy either way.

Mark,

Upon seeing the saw my guess was a 245. It was confirmed when I looked at the tag, it shows it to be a 245A. Given that I am a CASO (Cheap A$$ Saw Owner) and buy on the cheap what would a saw that looks like this that has not run in 7 years be worth?

Gary

Mark,

Upon seeing the saw my guess was a 245. It was confirmed when I looked at the tag, it shows it to be a 245A. Given that I am a CASO (Cheap A$$ Saw Owner) and buy on the cheap what would a saw that looks like this that has not run in 7 years be worth?

Gary

Looking closer I see the difference in the paint on the bar clamp and the rest of the saw, that bar clamp and bow may not be original and thats what made me think it was older.

That fan housing is like I have never seen before, maybe modified? That spark plug wire is not original either, look at the straight boot on it.

Whats it worth? Hard to say, by condition I say not much, but if the P/C are good then its got to be worth something as well as the bow setup.

I would agree that the bow setup is from an earlier saw. I guess that had to make due with the NAPA plug wire... He will be getting back in touch with me on the peanut equipment so I will see if he wants to part with it. I suspect he may want more than I will pay due to the sentimental value of it being his grandfather's saw.

Poulan 245A Muffler to Cylinder bolt size

I know this was answered in a much earlier post but darn if I can find it. Found a good used cylinder for my 245A but lo and behold the left side bolt hole for the muffler has no threads. Am I correct that it takes a 10/24 thread?
Bob

Well, do I have egg on my face. Notice that my original post said "welch plugs". Well, don't you know there is only one welch plug and the small brass colored "plug" isn't a welch plug! No wonder I couldn't get it out, try as I may. Also, no wonder carb is now kaput. Got a feeling this is going to cost me.
Bob

Nope that brass plug is really the High speed nozzle. It will press right out with a flat punch and a hammer. If you didnt mess up the carb body around it you can probably get a new nozzle for it.

I know this was answered in a much earlier post but darn if I can find it. Found a good used cylinder for my 245A but lo and behold the left side bolt hole for the muffler has no threads. Am I correct that it takes a 10/24 thread?
Bob

No if my memory is correct, there a #12 bolt.

my plan for 4200 carburetor kit install

I have a rebuild kit on the way for mine, noticed it idling erratically last
week when I tried it, probably needs a new kit after 25 years; already been to
Tillotson's site to download service manual & parts manual for HS before
starting. I might do 2 kits a year, usually print out carburetor diagram for
reassembly reference & at least look at service manual first, saves time
in the long run, can tell a main jet from a welch plug that way.

By the way, the blonde haired, blue eyed gal on Tillotson.ie home page
is worth a casual click.

I know this has probably been beat to heck but what can you tell me about the 3700? I just bought the one in the classifieds for $90. Be mainly used for firewood..

What knowledge do you desire Grasshopper???

Mike

Well what are some common problems? Any pictures of muffler mods maybe a dual port one? Is 50:1 with echo powerblend ok to run or do i need to run 40:1? Hp rating? As far as preventative maintence is it any different then a modern saw? How is the oiler?

Sorry for all the questions but im curious this will be my first "Real" saw.

Back