Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran my 4000 today

I bought a 4000 and MS250 from a fellow back in the summer and have not run either one of them. I decided to cut a load of wood today and used the 4000 and Husky 440.

I have run a number of 3400's and the 4000 did not seem to have more grunt than the 3400 (though I have not tuned it). However, as I worked my way down the trunk into bigger wood it seemed to do better. It was nice to take a break from the Huskys and Stihls.

Is there a serial number with a date by it or something to tell what year the saw is?

Im drooling over here i can not wait to get it:chainsawguy:

Not aware of any way to tell what year they were made that I know of. Unfortunately. The chainsaw collectors site, says the 3700 was made from 1980-1983. Sounds about right to me, I think the 4000 came along after, to take the place of the 3700.
:cheers:
Gregg,

I bought a 4000 and MS250 from a fellow back in the summer and have not run either one of them. I decided to cut a load of wood today and used the 4000 and Husky 440.

I have run a number of 3400's and the 4000 did not seem to have more grunt than the 3400 (though I have not tuned it). However, as I worked my way down the trunk into bigger wood it seemed to do better. It was nice to take a break from the Huskys and Stihls.

Your 4000 is not running up to snuff then. Stock for stock, they will smoke a 3400 as far as power goes.

1980-1983 was the years they were made. Were talking 3700 right?

Ya the 3700 well ive noticed different hand guards, or whatever you call them. Like on the 4000 they have one that mounts to the top cover on the 3700 it mounts to the wrap.

I agree with what Mark just said. Take it from somebody who used a 3400 exclusively for many years. Then started using a 4000 for 2-3 years now. BIG difference. I used a 20" bar on my 3400 quite a bit, and in big wood you pretty much had to let it eat at its own pace. Not so with 4000, even with a 24" bar.
I suppose there are differences in each individual saw as to how its tuned, setup etc. There is pretty big gap between the 3400 & 3700 too. Not so much between the 3700/4000.
Just my experience.;)
Gregg,

Ill agree with both mark and Gregg about the 4000 performance. I have a low hour 3.7 that runs about as good as new. I used my 4000 withthe same b/c combo and it was bogging in the wood. Turns out I had the carb set too rich. I leaned it out a bit and that made the difference. I have a new rim and drum for it with a new oregon chain, maybe if I have some time this weekend. I also picked up a set of rings at the same time, not that it needs them.
I also have another 4000 I picked up 2 weeks ago that needs the usual fuel system work. It needs a new clutch cover and with a good cleaning should be a nice addition.

Ya the 3700 well ive noticed different hand guards, or whatever you call them. Like on the 4000 they have one that mounts to the top cover on the 3700 it mounts to the wrap.

Clay, Yes there is two different style hand guards. All the 4000's I have seen have the guard on the cover and the 3700's just the opposite. BUT, you might find variations. Thats something common with the Poulans. They might use what they had an abundance of at the time on different saws. Same with choke knobs. Some have a round one, some the flat one. Heres an older pic of my 3700.

100_0296.jpg

Gregg,

Clay, Yes there is two different style hand guards. All the 4000's I have seen have the guard on the cover and the 3700's just the opposite. BUT, you might find variations. Thats something common with the Poulans. They might use what they had an abundance of at the time on different saws. Same with choke knobs. Some have a round one, some the flat one. Heres an older pic of my 3700.

100_0296.jpg

Gregg,

Thats a nice saw! Ya i like the 4000 style, wonder if you can switch it:biggrinbounce2:

Have any videos?

The 3700 could have came with either handguard as well. The bar mounted guard is called the old style and the top cover mounted one is called the new style.

The IPL's show a full wrap handle for both the 3700 and 4000 also, but I'm not sure I ever seen one.

yes....that is one great looking saw...:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

If it was mine I would go out and buy a couple wild things and put that one on a shelf......
er no perhaps pick up a 330 instead.....but still put that on a shelf...

LOL, I bought this one, wanting another work saw. But now, I kinda want to keep this back.:dizzy: I got another one comming, maybe that one will be my work saw.. Can't just keep all of them on the shelf.;)
Gregg,

The 3700 could have came with either handguard as well. The bar mounted guard is called the old style and the top cover mounted one is called the new style.

The IPL's show a full wrap handle for both the 3700 and 4000 also, but I'm not sure I ever seen one.
Really a full wrap? Maybe i could make one that would look great on a old school saw and really help in felling. Another question i have is can you put dual dogs on them?

Thats a nice saw! Ya i like the 4000 style, wonder if you can switch it:biggrinbounce2:

Have any videos?

Clay, You can switch most parts on this "family" of saws. The 3400/3700/4000.

Only video of a 3700 that I have, is this one. Was just comparing a 3700 and the Super 380, both 60cc saws. The 380 is higher reving saw, but the 3700 has more torque in my opinion. And was actually faster.:)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid48.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff201%2FGregg500%2F100_0266-1.mp4">
Gregg,

Clay,

The ONE hard and fast rule about how Poulans were equipped is...............There is NO hard and fast rule about how Poulans were equipped!!!

Add to that, the fact that every chainsaw hack (like me) in the country has been pieceing them together for the last 30 years to get through "just one more season" and you are liable to find ANYTHING when you start taking them apart!
But then.............that's part of the fun!

Mike

Clay,

The ONE hard and fast rule about how Poulans were equipped is...............There is NO hard and fast rule about how Poulans were equipped!!!

Add to that, the fact that every chainsaw hack (like me) in the country has been pieceing them together for the last 30 years to get through "just one more season" and you are liable to find ANYTHING when you start taking them apart!
But then.............that's part of the fun!

Mike
Ya im starting to figure that out! Thanks guys!

Back