Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, I bought this one, wanting another work saw. But now, I kinda want to keep this back.:dizzy: I got another one comming, maybe that one will be my work saw.. Can't just keep all of them on the shelf.;)
:cheers:
Gregg,

Gregg, your saw collection seems to be growing rapidly. :clap: You're liable to fill up that little workshop out there pretty soon. :cheers:

Gregg, your saw collection seems to be growing rapidly. :clap: You're liable to fill up that little workshop out there pretty soon. :cheers:

Yes Steve, Who would have thought a fellow NEEDS 20+ chainsaws to cut fire wood.:dizzy: Ive not seen your shop, but I think you had about that many with you, when you were up here this spring! LOL
Gregg,

Hey Steve, Take a look at this video. This is from Luke's Bar & Grill, where we had lunch when you were up here for the GTG. LOL A buck comes through the window, about where we were sitting. Its good thing there weren't many customers in the joint when this took place..:)

Gregg,

Wow, man! I like it when the food is served fresh, but that's pushing the envelope a bit. :hmm3grin2orange: That old girl behind the counter that jumped over didn't seem to know what she was going to do...attack or retreat! :dizzy:

I can use that bar if you have no use for it!

The oiler just quit working? Sounds like a check valve in the pump might have clogged or stuck closed.

Tear it apart and clean it all out but, dont use hi pressure air on the check valves.

UGH...HIGH PRESSURE, i've FAILE with that before.

going to the beg for manuals thread...

gotsta get me an IPL...

J

First cut 5400

Well I had to do it...got home from work...well that old stump by the driveway was a little tall for my taste. Not now...I had no idea what using this saw would be like. Sorta reminds me of my first hot rod.

On to the 100 cc saws now:dizzy:

Well I had to do it...got home from work...well that old stump by the driveway was a little tall for my taste. Not now...I had no idea what using this saw would be like. Sorta reminds me of my first hot rod.

On to the 100 cc saws now:dizzy:

So how did it cut?

Craftsman 5.2 problem

I finished draining the rest of my saws last sunday. Went to start the 5.2 and it was smoking like a freight train. Didn't take long to realize that it was burning bar oil. :bang:

I know there's only 2 places for bar oil to get in the crankcase and that is through the crankcase gasket between the engine and the oil tank or through the PTO side crank seal since the oiler on these actually run some oil behind the oiler to oil the crank and oiler gear.

I was a little concerned that it might be the crankcase gasket since I had put new crank seals in this saw when I first got it up and running.

I tore it apart last night and it failed a vac test but the dang thing pretty much passed a pressure test. :bang: My test setup's vinyl hose was leaking a little at the fittings but I could get no bubbles on the seal itself under pressure.

I greased up the crank seal, re vac tested it and it held vacuum.

I then pulled the seal and found that the spring on the back of the seal was no longer on the seal and was laying on the crank. I must have had it cocked or somthing when I originally put the new seal in it.

I put a new seal in it using a piece of the PBR can from Randy to guide the seal lips over the crank. FIXED! It then would hold 15" of vacuum for 15-20 minutes before it even dropped a inch.

Man does this sucker run strong now!

Just wanted to let you guys see how a saw could pass a pressure test but not a vac test! . The vacuum would pull the lips of the seal from the crank while the pressure test would push the lips of the seal down tight on the crank. ;)

I put a new seal in it using a piece of the PBR can from Randy to guide the seal lips over the crank. FIXED! It then would hold 15" of vacuum for 15-20 minutes before it even dropped a inch.

Mark, I'm glad mine is still running good, and no problems, cause I'd be hard pressed to find a PBR can around here.:hmm3grin2orange:

Good info to know for sure though.
Gregg,

So does anyone have a 4000 top cover with guard? Id really like to switch mine out on the 3700, i know its a chainsaw but i like my stuff looking good;)

Mark, I'm glad mine is still running good, and no problems, cause I'd be hard pressed to find a PBR can around here.:hmm3grin2orange:

Gregg,

Being the good guy that he is, I'm sure Mark would send you a PBR can if you ever need it, Gregg. Is that the Poulan special tool called a seal protector? :biggrinbounce2:

So does anyone have a 4000 top cover with guard? Id really like to switch mine out on the 3700, i know its a chainsaw but i like my stuff looking good;)

Are you talking about a top cover or a filter cover?
The top cover wouldn't necessarily have to be from a 4000.
Any top with the plastic guard would work.
If you are talking about the filter cover...........good luck!
They are made from unobtainium and are very dear and highly sought after!

Mike

Are you talking about a top cover or a filter cover?
The top cover wouldn't necessarily have to be from a 4000.
Any top with the plastic guard would work.
If you are talking about the filter cover...........good luck!
They are made from unobtainium and are very dear and highly sought after!

Mike

I just want that guard like the 4000 instead of it clamped to the handle.

Gregg,

I would drink one, but only if it meant having a 5.2/5200. Its too cold for such swill here now.

Being the good guy that he is, I'm sure Mark would send you a PBR can if you ever need it, Gregg. Is that the Poulan special tool called a seal protector? :biggrinbounce2:

I'm sure he would! but, I would think a High Life can would make a better "proper" special Poulan seal tool.;) Come to think of it, I would need one of those too, I buy mine in bottles.:D
Gregg,

I just want that guard like the 4000 instead of it clamped to the handle.

My saws have both styles. I prefer the ones mounted on the cover too. The handles with that style usually have a different type of foam on the handles too.
Without the guard on the handle seems to give ya a little more hand room, when working the saw at odd angles.

Just have to watch ebay, that style pops up occasionally. If I had an extra, I send it to ya.
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back