Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XXV update

Good news on the little 25 Deluxe. I had no spark and was considering getting and ATOM mudule for it. Glad I waited. The plroblem was there was no airgap between the flywheel and coil. The lower coil leg was actually hitting the magnets. The spar is so strong it actually jumped from my tester to the muffler! I tested the compression and it topped out at 150lbs, very good for one of these saws. So a tilly carb kit, line and filters ill be good to go. It also needs a new rope, and Im gonna upgrade the 1/4" sprocket to 3/8" and get a good 14" bar and chain.

Good news on the little 25 Deluxe. I had no spark and was considering getting and ATOM mudule for it. Glad I waited. The plroblem was there was no airgap between the flywheel and coil. The lower coil leg was actually hitting the magnets. The spar is so strong it actually jumped from my tester to the muffler! I tested the compression and it topped out at 150lbs, very good for one of these saws. So a tilly carb kit, line and filters ill be good to go. It also needs a new rope, and Im gonna upgrade the 1/4" sprocket to 3/8" and get a good 14" bar and chain.

I thought I read where someone told you to fix the ign. that it came with!;)

Mike

Just a slight correction Clay, The 3700 is 61cc, the 4000 is 64cc. :)

Not much difference at all. The 3700 is fine saw, and YES, you most likely will start growing a collection of them..LOL:dizzy:

You will know you have CAD bad, when ya start acquiring multiple saws of the same model..
:cheers:
Gregg,

Hey i knew that! Haha, why dont you hook me up with a one of your 4000s down the road. :greenchainsaw:

The worst has happened.

I few months ago I found a 245A on craigslist for a steal of a price. I quickly purchased it, cleaned it up, fueled it, and started it right up. It ran OK, but not the greatest; so I didn't run it more than a few minutes. Next, I pulled it apart to replace gas lines, and rebuilt the carb with new gaskets/diaphragms.

I took it to a small engine shop after my rebuild to get the carb dialed in. When I picked it up the guys at the shop told me that I had a nice saw that was still in really good shape. Exactly what I was thinking.

I took it home and began using the saw. It idled and revved fine. In the cut it would bog down and almost stall unless I tickled the throttle trigger. Anyway, it cut pretty well, but wasn't getting full revs in the cut.

I ran 2 1/2 tanks through it. When I went to restart after moving some logs, it was hard to pull, then the worst thing happened. It seized. :( Not while running, but when I was trying to start it.

I pulled the muffler and the piston is scored, not terrible, but scored nonetheless. I have no idea why is ceased, I was running 40:1 mix through it; the same I run in all my 2 strokes and have never had a problem. Maybe the previous owner used straight gas and there was damage done before I got it. Could it have been that I was over working the saw and it got too hot?

Does anyone have any advise for pulling this thing completely apart? What will I need to do besides replace the rings and polish things up a bit?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I few months ago I found a 245A on craigslist for a steal of a price. I quickly purchased it, cleaned it up, fueled it, and started it right up. It ran OK, but not the greatest; so I didn't run it more than a few minutes. Next, I pulled it apart to replace gas lines, and rebuilt the carb with new gaskets/diaphragms.

I took it to a small engine shop after my rebuild to get the carb dialed in. When I picked it up the guys at the shop told me that I had a nice saw that was still in really good shape. Exactly what I was thinking.

I took it home and began using the saw. It idled and revved fine. In the cut it would bog down and almost stall unless I tickled the throttle trigger. Anyway, it cut pretty well, but wasn't getting full revs in the cut.

I ran 2 1/2 tanks through it. When I went to restart after moving some logs, it was hard to pull, then the worst thing happened. It ceased. :( Not while running, but when I was trying to start it.

I pulled the muffler and the piston is scored, not terrible, but scored nonetheless. I have no idea why is ceased, I was running 40:1 mix through it; the same I run in all my 2 strokes and have never had a problem. Maybe the previous owner used straight gas and there was damage done before I got it. Could it have been that I was over working the saw and it got too hot?

Does anyone have any advise for pulling this thing completely apart? What will I need to do besides replace the rings and polish things up a bit?

Thanks.
I think it had a lean seize, you said you had to "tickle" the trigger to keep it running in the logs? Sounds like it was to lean to begin with........

I think it had a lean seize, you said you had to "tickle" the trigger to keep it running in the logs? Sounds like it was to lean to begin with........

That would really suck considering I took it to a professional shop for a carb tune after my rebuild. I admit I am a :newbie:, but I trusted that they tuned the saw correctly. I'll pull the plug tonight to see what color it is. Bet it's bright white.

That would really suck considering I took it to a professional shop for a carb tune after my rebuild. I admit I am a :newbie:, but I trusted that they tuned the saw correctly. I'll pull the plug tonight to see what color it is. Bet it's bright white.

Im not a professional either, but you say you had to work the throttle to keep it running in a cut. Ill explain. It wants to cut out on the top end because there is not enough fuel so when you let out just enough fuel is put back in there to keep it running. After a while it gets hot real hot and just cant handle it anymore. This is my theory. Did it always do that trigger thing even when you got it?

Im not a professional either, but you say you had to work the throttle to keep it running in a cut. Ill explain. It wants to cut out on the top end because there is not enough fuel so when you let out just enough fuel is put back in there to keep it running. After a while it gets hot real hot and just cant handle it anymore. This is my theory. Did it always do that trigger thing even when you got it?

Nope, the trigger thing was new after the carb rebuild and "tuning." I think you're right. It sounds right to me. Now I just need to focus on how the heck I am going to fix this thing. This will be my first complete tear down of a saw.

Before throwing any money into it, get it leak tested. You probably have a leaky seal, thats why it ran the way it did, and you ran it lean. It sucks, but you learned something, and its a saw, not a kid or the wife laid up so-Fix it.

Before throwing any money into it, get it leak tested. You probably have a leaky seal, thats why it ran the way it did, and you ran it lean. It sucks, but you learned something, and its a saw, not a kid or the wife laid up so-Fix it.

Ha! Thanks for putting it in perspective. How do I have it leak tested? Is it something I can do, or do I need special tools?

Ya the shop probably didnt mean to burn up your saw. They probably didnt know it was leaking and ran fine when they had it.

Ya the shop probably didnt mean to burn up your saw. They probably didnt know it was leaking and ran fine when they had it.

Yeah, I am sure they didn't intend for this too happen. Not their fault... mine for not knowing.

So who has rebuilt a 245? What should I be aware of/ on the look out for before I start?

Latest posts

Back