Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool Joe that you brought your dads saw back to life. My father and I also cut a lot of wood with saws that would be considered marginal limbing saws today. I had a little Dynamark and my dad and I both bought 16 inch Skilsaws as back up saws (I found them on sale somewhere for around $50 brand new), my dad used his Stihl 015L for most of his cutting.:laugh:

I will take real grunt over rpm any day for a chainsaw engine. The little Skilsaw had that. I think they were made in Canada by the same company that produced the big Canadien saws.

A family connection with saws is always a good thing.

yeah!!!

Joe
Is the 2.3 on the right a S25? I got these dropped off a couple of months ago. They both have incredible compression but I have not had a chance to play with them.

attachment.php

those are nice looking saws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they look like they would like florida!!

they are 2.1 and 2.3 craftsman power sharp saws that have been converted over to standard chain. The guy who gave them to me told me he bought the brand new and has just become tired of keeping them running. I have not had a chance to put the compression tester on them but they pull over much harder than any small saw I own. I weven got the case, extra chains and woners manuals.

If ya wanna part with them pm they would look real nice in florida!!! at least one of them hehehe

Joe
Is the 2.3 on the right a S25? I got these dropped off a couple of months ago. They both have incredible compression but I have not had a chance to play with them.

attachment.php

I have a 2.1 and a 2.3 just like those. The 2.3 is 38ccs and would be a Super. Both yours have the SS ignition which is generally bulletproof. If you have good compression and spark its easy now. Run a new fuel line (11" I think) and get a couple Walbro WA carb kits. Easy saw to work on

ummm 16>?

I have a 2.1 and a 2.3 just like those. The 2.3 is 38ccs and would be a Super. Both yours have the SS ignition which is generally bulletproof. If you have good compression and spark its easy now. Run a new fuel line (11" I think) and get a couple Walbro WA carb kits. Easy saw to work on

I think its 16 inches thats what poulan says it worked for me.....???? what about you joe any nice 25sda saw available?????

Poulan 1950(Walbro WT-324)

Friend brought over a 1950 that starts then immediately dies. Saw was filthy and not taken very well care. Comp is 120. I removed carb for rebuild(need to get kit) but neglected to pay attention to placement of fuel line and I guess the impulse line. Saw has a primer bulb and carb has two inlets one above the other. I assume the primer line goes on the top inlet and the other line goes on the lower but not sure. Looks like the 1950 is very similar to the 2150 and wonder if you guys have an idea as to where to place the fuel line and other line. Is the second line an impulse line or a return line for excess fuel?
Bob

2nd line is probably return line

I have a PP260,probably similar, the impulse is a port, should see an
port in carburetor inlet flange and gasket if it works that way.

Friend brought over a 1950 that starts then immediately dies. Saw was filthy and not taken very well care. Comp is 120. I removed carb for rebuild(need to get kit) but neglected to pay attention to placement of fuel line and I guess the impulse line. Saw has a primer bulb and carb has two inlets one above the other. I assume the primer line goes on the top inlet and the other line goes on the lower but not sure. Looks like the 1950 is very similar to the 2150 and wonder if you guys have an idea as to where to place the fuel line and other line. Is the second line an impulse line or a return line for excess fuel?
Bob

Bob, I'm thinking the impulse on that carb is the same that we're used to on the other older Poulan's with the direct pin hole to the crankcase. Anyway here are some directions and a diagram I found as a result of an internet search on the WT-324. They are from different sites and seem to be consistent.

To hook up fuel lines:
1) connect the top of carb hose to the short primer bulb stem.
2) The bottom carb hose to the fuel line that has the filter on it inside the tank.
3) Finally, connect the remaining fuel line that comes out of the fuel tank to the center or the longer stem of the primer bulb.

attachment.php

Bob, Steve's diagram is a pretty good one. The line from tank, goes to carb inlet. The line from carb to primer bulb, goes to the (suck) side of the bulb.
Then a line (return) from the bulb back to tank.

With no lines on the primer, you can easily tell which side sucks, and which doesn't. :D The idea is for it to (draw) fuel through the carb, and back to tank.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Bob, Steve's diagram is a pretty good one. The line from tank, goes to carb inlet. The line from carb to primer bulb, goes to the (suck) side of the bulb.
Then a line (return) from the bulb back to tank.

With no lines on the primer, you can easily tell which side sucks, and which doesn't. :D The idea is for it to (draw) fuel through the carb, and back to tank.
Gregg,

Yea Gregg, I looked at saw and think owner screwed up fuel lines. They are new, so he likely misdirected then as he has the tank line going directly to the primer bulb and the other primer outlet going to one carb inlet while the other carb inlet goes to the return line. Steve's picture helped a lot. Love pictures. Thank you Steve!!!! I'll re-route lines and see what happens
Bob

Poulan Pro 260 air purge plumbing?

The one I have has the air purge on the inlet side, not the
return side that makes more sense. I could have got it wrong
on a previous line replacement or maybe Poulan did.

It does act up sometimes, acting like it is running low of fuel with
fuel in the tank. It might be an air leak problem or?

Has anyone worked on this model or have one and remember how fuel
lines are routed? The way it is now, fuel has to draw through primer/purge
all of the time, not just on prime. It uses two different sizes of fuel line
too & primer bulb has different size nipples

My 2003 PP220 with the Walbro WT391 carb has the fuel pick up line to the carb right side. The primer bulb aft nipple goes to the left side of the carb. The primer bulb forward nipple goes back to the tank near the cylinder. I think your PP260 uses the same carb and primer bulb. Never have had any fuel problems, it's original.

Last edited:

The primer pulls the fuel through the carb. When the saw is running the fuel just comes from the filtered line into the carb, the primer is not in the picture when running. Here is a snapshot from the ZAMA tech manual but they all work the same, it's the only way it makes sense. If the saw is dying with fuel in it the lines are probably messed up and it's drawing from the unfiltered return line which usually doesn't go to the bottom of the tank and it also has no weight so it would easily come out of the fuel.

attachment.php

Last edited:
260 does use a WT-391

I am going to try it with fuel purge in return. It had a Hecho en Mexico sticker
on it new, so it could have been wrong new, it just bugs me.
I have a Husqvarna 435 about a pound lighter anyways with as much or
more power, but the PP260 is the saw I use hard & put up dirty cutting
fallen limbs.

The 3700 is 61ccs, the 4000 is between 64 and 65. i have 2 3700s. 1 with an 18" one with a 20". I use the 3.7 with the 20" all the time. It pulls it just fine, a month ago I had it buried in hard maple. No problem:cheers:

I think its just about perfect 64cc's reliable and cheap. Once i graduate school im gonna try to get a big poulan collection going.

Just a slight correction Clay, The 3700 is 61cc, the 4000 is 64cc. :)

Not much difference at all. The 3700 is fine saw, and YES, you most likely will start growing a collection of them..LOL:dizzy:

You will know you have CAD bad, when ya start acquiring multiple saws of the same model..
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back