Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need a 20" bar for my 3800

I have a good running old 3800, Where can I find a good used 20" bar out my way that won't cost me an arm and leg? I'm new here and a chainsaw novice so go easy on me.. Thanks, Chris in Sacramento

I have a good running old 3800, Where can I find a good used 20" bar out my way that won't cost me an arm and leg? I'm new here and a chainsaw novice so go easy on me.. Thanks, Chris in Sacramento

Welcome to the site! Id check ebay or craigs list. I might even have one around. Ill look. I believe the bar mount is D076

Re Poulan Bar

Hay thanks...All the different bar #ers etc..are quite confusing to the novice. I know it's not rocket science, but when you're new to it it might as well be Thanks again and pleas let me know if you have one. Did these come standard with a 20" bar or were they sold with different sizes? And if so what's the biggest bar they will hold?

ya a little bit

Oh Well, It's lighter now! :laugh:

ya it is a lil... bout a pound of gummy sawdust on everything!!!! it was missing the oiler button and rod to!!! after i cleaned all the gunk off i found the two screws on the bottom plate not sure why they did it like that i saw a new module on ebay for like 30 bucks i am not buying a used one at that price!!!!! sure i will find a parts saw eventually with the part i need!!!! or maybe when i hit the sears place up the road i will get lucky

Hay thanks...All the different bar #ers etc..are quite confusing to the novice. I know it's not rocket science, but when you're new to it it might as well be Thanks again and pleas let me know if you have one. Did these come standard with a 20" bar or were they sold with different sizes? And if so what's the biggest bar they will hold?

Here is some info on Oregon bars that will help you decode. The one titled "oregon bar info 2.pdf" is very helpful.

ya it is a lil... bout a pound of gummy sawdust on everything!!!! it was missing the oiler button and rod to!!! after i cleaned all the gunk off i found the two screws on the bottom plate not sure why they did it like that i saw a new module on ebay for like 30 bucks i am not buying a used one at that price!!!!! sure i will find a parts saw eventually with the part i need!!!! or maybe when i hit the sears place up the road i will get lucky

What part you needing ?

coil

What part you needing ?

hi lawn mowertec looking for a electronic coil for an poulan 25 sda without points.... im also curious if i could maybe just use a points style flywheel and coil and one of the nova moduals since you cant put points on a non points sawwithout pulling the crank out....thanks for any light you can shine on this problem ...

hi lawn mowertec looking for a electronic coil for an poulan 25 sda without points.... im also curious if i could maybe just use a points style flywheel and coil and one of the nova moduals since you cant put points on a non points sawwithout pulling the crank out....thanks for any light you can shine on this problem ...

I don't think the coils will bolt in place of each other. It's been a little while since I did one though.

Lol

I don't think the coils will bolt in place of each other. It's been a little while since I did one though.
no holes under flywheel either.... i drilled 2 and then relized the shaft was different also... I thought the coils were a direct bolt on ??? the poulan 2000 coils dont fit either heheh its personal now ive cleaned it i will make it run ... just may take a lil while....

25 ign

Must be the time of year for workin on XXVs. The SS (electronic) igns wont bolt on to a points saw. I looked into it. The coils mointing point are in different locations.
Now heres my question. Im working on a 25, non super. Points ign. I was wondering if anyone had used an atom ign module to convert it to electronic?
To Mark, Mike, Gregg or anyone else who might know...This saw has the sliding switch. Now the switch grounds to off correct? So as long as the switch is not grounding I should have spark

Must be the time of year for workin on XXVs. The SS (electronic) igns wont bolt on to a points saw. I looked into it. The coils mointing point are in different locations.
Now heres my question. Im working on a 25, non super. Points ign. I was wondering if anyone had used an atom ign module to convert it to electronic?
To Mark, Mike, Gregg or anyone else who might know...This saw has the sliding switch. Now the switch grounds to off correct? So as long as the switch is not grounding I should have spark

Joe, What you said sounds correct to me. But, I have no experience with the points ign. saws. So I''l defer to the REAL Poulan experts on that.:D
:cheers:
Gregg,

Joe,

As well as I remember the switch on those is a one wire and yes, it will ground to the case to kill.
As far as the module, I can't say.
With the exception of some of the foreign:D saws that you have to have a special tool to set the points, I like the points ignition as well as the electronic, and will stay with them when I can.

Mike

Im watching and waiting !!!

I will be watching this since im also doin this type of stuff right now!!!!Joe its all your fault i read the poulan thread and saw all those cool 25da saws.... made me think of my first saw its been an addiction ever since LOL!!!!

Joe,

As well as I remember the switch on those is a one wire and yes, it will ground to the case to kill.
As far as the module, I can't say.
With the exception of some of the foreign:D saws that you have to have a special tool to set the points, I like the points ignition as well as the electronic, and will stay with them when I can.

Mike

That's what I thought Mike. This saw is a low hour one, so Im sure I just need to hit the points with some emory cloth. I have heard about these electronic conversions and thought about trying one out. Itll be faster and easier just to fix this ign.

I will be watching this since im also doin this type of stuff right now!!!!Joe its all your fault i read the poulan thread and saw all those cool 25da saws.... made me think of my first saw its been an addiction ever since LOL!!!!

Yeah, they can get addictive. At least the S25s dont take up a lot room!

S25's for cutting a winters firewood

I carried my S25D over to an old time saw fixer last week just
to get a duckbill. He said folks had cut their winters firewood with
these little saws. I had never considered that, it was part of my
2 saw plan back then, used a 4200 for firewood.

That's what I thought Mike. This saw is a low hour one, so Im sure I just need to hit the points with some emory cloth. I have heard about these electronic conversions and thought about trying one out. Itll be faster and easier just to fix this ign.

Low hour saw? Points just need cleaned and set probably. The atom will work just fine but I like the point setup better as they seem to put out a spark at much lower rpms making them start easier.

I set the points on that 401 and it would throw a spark across the spark tester by just flipping the flywheel with my finger. Most electronic igns wont do that.

I carried my S25D over to an old time saw fixer last week just
to get a duckbill. He said folks had cut their winters firewood with
these little saws. I had never considered that, it was part of my
2 saw plan back then, used a 4200 for firewood.

A used S25CVA was my first saw back in about 78 or 79. Good thing no one told me I couldn't cut all my firewood with it. If you like 12-16" wood, they will put alot of wood in the truck in a short time and do it day in, day out without complaint.

Low hour saw? Points just need cleaned and set probably. The atom will work just fine but I like the point setup better as they seem to put out a spark at much lower rpms making them start easier.

I set the points on that 401 and it would throw a spark across the spark tester by just flipping the flywheel with my finger. Most electronic igns wont do that.

A used S25CVA was my first saw back in about 78 or 79. Good thing no one told me I couldn't cut all my firewood with it. If you like 12-16" wood, they will put alot of wood in the truck in a short time and do it day in, day out without complaint.

I guess no one told my Dad that either. He bought his about '79-'80. He used it last week to cut up a downed pear tree out back. Its funny too, he bought a new MS170 2 years ago since the S25 wouldn't start. Then I found this site and realized that all it needed was a fuel line and carb kit. Now that the Poulan is running like new again the 170 doesn't get used much. You go from using that 170 to the S25DA and its almost a joke. the 170 revs real high but lean on it a little and the rpms seem real useless. Its kinda like comparing a turbocharged honda to a big block Olds 442.

Ill post some pics of the 25 when I get it done. A good indicator of hours used is the sprocket. This one has 1/4" and no wear. Also the handle has no paint wear

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back