Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pp220 eye candy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iHhvy_coi4

This little saw surprised me, it had a problem with the ignition when I got it so I swapped it out and did some tweaks,

These saws need the limiters removed from the carbs, the ignition flywheel gap reset and open up that strangled muffler. I had bought a b and c from baileys for about 13 bucks if I remember right. It was a little short but cut well.

I put this saw in a yard sale for 75 bucks which is what I would of broke even at, my wife was proud when she sold it for me. "I got 45 dollars out of it":) Great sweetie, I had put 70 into it.:mad:

Here defense was, it was a woman by here self and she probably needed it.

oh well!

I also have a few projects kicking.
craftsman 3.7, I think it may need a carb kit, the throttle response is sluggish and the power is really low. it starts and idles well though.

I removed the garbage inside the muffler and have a couple of jugs so I may try my hand at porting.

I also have a poulan 3400 that is missing the airfilter and air filter cover. so I have not tried it.

I have some pp projects a 305, 330 and 380, I have the 380 ported but I need a new piston. where is the best (cheapest) place to get one?

also how do I get to the social group.

have I enough worthiness to join?

David

This little saw surprised me, it had a problem with the ignition when I got it so I swapped it out and did some tweaks,

These saws need the limiters removed from the carbs, the ignition flywheel gap reset and open up that strangled muffler. I had bought a b and c from baileys for about 13 bucks if I remember right. It was a little short but cut well.

I put this saw in a yard sale for 75 bucks which is what I would of broke even at, my wife was proud when she sold it for me. "I got 45 dollars out of it":) Great sweetie, I had put 70 into it.:mad:

oh well!

craftsman 3.7, I think it may need a carb kit, the throttle response is sluggish and the power is really low. it starts and idles well though.

I removed the garbage inside the muffler and have a couple of jugs so I may try my hand at porting.

I also have a poulan 3400 that is missing the airfilter and air filter cover. so I have not tried it.

I have some pp projects a 305, 330 and 380, I have the 380 ported but I need a new piston. where is the best (cheapest) place to get one?

David

To get to the "Poulan Lovers Group", got to the top of the page and hit "USER CP".

On the page that comes up there will be a column on the left side.

Go down that group until you see a heading that says Social Groups, click on that.

A page will come up and have a block with pictures in it.

The Avatar for the Poulan group has 5 saws sitting on the ground, if you see it, click on it. If you don't see it click on "View all groups" and the list of groups will come up.

We welcome all Poulan lovers they don't even have to own a Poulan saw.

Welcome aboard!!!

Mike

oh well!

David

That was a PP 220? Strong. Just finished working on a Poulan 3000 an.d PP 305. No limiters on these babies and I did open the mufflers up a bit. Run great but having a hard time finding a bar to fit. Current sprocket is a .325 and its tough finding a 16 in bar and 66 drive link chain that size. May have to change to a 3/8 sprocket.

oh well!

David

That Super 380 sounds interesting, I think I need one of them to compare to my PP365.

The piston kit part # is 530069549 and it list for $42. Just get it from a local Poulan dealer.

That was a PP 220? Strong. Just finished working on a Poulan 3000 an.d PP 305. No limiters on these babies and I did open the mufflers up a bit. Run great but having a hard time finding a bar to fit. Current sprocket is a .325 and its tough finding a 16 in bar and 66 drive link chain that size. May have to change to a 3/8 sprocket.

Bob, don't do the 3/8's chain on them, you won't like it.

It maynot be easy to find them bars on Ebay but Oregon makes lots of different styles of that A041 .325 bars. Power match, Laser Lite, Pro Lite, Micro Lite, or Double Guard are all listed for them in 16". Small mount Husky bars can be used also if you file the adjuster holes up so they oil through them. Same drive link count also

Let me look tomorrow, and see if I have one.

Last edited:
Crankcase Question

Tore apart my newly acquired Dayton (aka Poulan 3400) that had been in a flood. After splitting case I noticed that there were several areas of pitting, some of which were fairly deep. Does anyone see a problem with using as is? Don't know what caused the pitting but I don't want to put case halves back together and have a problem down the road. BTW, looks like Stihl orange may be a good match for re-painting saw. Thanks.

Bob

Hey Bob, could the pitting just be corrosion from the saw being full of water? I think if it were me, I'd try and sand the case to get rid of any material that might otherwise loosen up on its own. Maybe even mask off the mating surfaces and bead blast the case?

Hey Bob, could the pitting just be corrosion from the saw being full of water? I think if it were me, I'd try and sand the case to get rid of any material that might otherwise loosen up on its own. Maybe even mask off the mating surfaces and bead blast the case?

I probably agree that it was caused by water sitting in the crankcase. Didn't know that water would cause pitting in magnesium. Spots in photo are only pitting present. I've cleaned it pretty well so I don't believe anything will come loose. Going to use after more closer cleaning. Don't want to use another old Poulan crankcase if I don't have to. Also brings up question posed several months ago, if its possible to use differant case halfs on these saws or are they a matched pair.

As far as sealing the case, I'd say you should be able to mix and match. They were all machined seperately at the factory. Thew only thing I'm concerned about is whether they get mock assembled to have the cylinder mating surface machined....

If you have got the area clean and everything that is likely to come loose wire brushed loose and removed, I would do a pressure/vacuum test and if it passes that RUN IT LIKE IT BELONGS TO YOUR BROTHER IN LAW, or like he would run one he borrowed from you!!LOL

I wouldn't worry about the pitting. Once it's cleaned up and mix is back in there, it won't be a problem. I wouldn't paint the inside of the case either.

Thanks Brad, was planning on stripping exterior parts, priming with an etching primer and using Stihl orange to paint saw. Would you use a clearcoat and if so should it be baked like the paint? Thanks.

Bob

I would do anything to avoid using Stihl orange paint. It's almost completely transparent and will take 10+ coats to cover. And then it's not fuel resistant at all. Go down to your local TSC and find some machine enamel that closely matches. Also Rustoleum orange is a very close match.

I probably agree that it was caused by water sitting in the crankcase. Didn't know that water would cause pitting in magnesium. Spots in photo are only pitting present. I've cleaned it pretty well so I don't believe anything will come loose. Going to use after more closer cleaning. Don't want to use another old Poulan crankcase if I don't have to. Also brings up question posed several months ago, if its possible to use differant case halfs on these saws or are they a matched pair.

If you put a magnesium case in saltwater, it will dissolve in a several weeks. I would bead blast that area if it were mine. I do have a 3400 with case halves from two different saws.

Perhaps better yet, go down to your local Ace Hardware. They carry machine enamel that they will custom match to your saw. Take a piece with you so that they can scan it for an exact match. They also sell hardener/activator that you can add to it. The stuff is cheap too but has to be sprayed with a gun.

Perhaps better yet, go down to your local Ace Hardware. They carry machine enamel that they will custom match to your saw. Take a piece with you so that they can scan it for an exact match. They also sell hardener/activator that you can add to it. The stuff is cheap too but has to be sprayed with a gun.

Not a bad idea. Will look into

Bob

Latest posts

Back