Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See if these show up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

On closer examination the 8500 seems to be a slightly refined version of the 4200,5200,5400 series of saws. Possibly the best saw Poulan ever built?

That sums it up, slightly refined.

You might call it the best 85cc saw Poulan built but I don't know about overall.

Look at that 8500, and I think you will find it has 3/8's bar studs.

all of that series are very tough professional grade tools. The bigger is always....well bigger....

I have never cut with a 5.2 cubic inch 85cc Poulan but I used the 4.2 cubic inch version of it for 28 years and never imagined a need for anything bigger for what I was using it for. Firewood.

every saw in that series is Badazz in my opinion. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Thus is true when i cut a little bit with my MM'd 3700 the other day, there were a few other guys cutting wood next door, there sure where peeking over the fence probably going what in the heck is he running. I think they had little huskys or something. Put a smile on my face though:D

Even tho im having to work out some issues with it, i love it still. Im hooked:D

Well here's my 4200 repainted. Runs very good and I need to get decals for it. Having commo problems with Joe at SCS Supply but I'll work it out. In the background is my 5200 that I need to find a replacement carb. Borrowed it for my 4200.

The saws are looking good Bob:clap: I would like to get a full wrap handle for my 5200. Poulan still lists them as in stock. But, I think is around $126. Don't need one quite that bad.
:cheers:
Gregg,

I was curious if the refinement carried over to port timing and piston profiles or it was just the slight fuel capacity and ergonomic tweaks. It is colder than all get out here at the moment, ice and snow and the wind is blowing around 20 MPH so I will have to put off going out to the shop to look at the bar studs untill later. It is only 54 degrees here in my computer room.

Do you know when they stopped building these things?

Stephen, Have you ever seen Steve's (67Mustang) 7700 Poulan?
Thats about the same as the 8500, but 77cc. I got to run that this spring, I loved that saw, super smooth. At least compared to a 5200 in my opinion.

I know what ya mean about being cold out there. I had another 4000 arrive today, just couldn't get excited about working on it just yet. To dang cold.. LOL I can see everyone shaking there heads now, saying whats he need another 4000 Poulan for? :D Just can't help it.
Gregg,

Mark
You have more experience with Poulans than anyone I know personally. I suspect that you have run a few other chiansaws in the past also. My experience in using them to cut firewood has been rather limited. I used a 2.4 Dynamark, a small Skil-saw of similar size (but with a new finagled chain brake) and a Stihl 015L.

I recently sold an old Stihl 036 pro, without ever really using it. I told the guy I sold it to to give me a call if he wanted his money back ever...he has had it a year and hasn't called back so I suspect that he is happy with it.

I was under the impression that my 4200 performed equal to or slightly better than my old 036 pro. I have friends that use nothing but Stihls. What is your experience. Does a 4200 stack up against a 036 performance wise?

I am not trying to start a war here, just trying to get some opinions from other saw users. I think the 036 was a little lighter was a little more eager to rev and had a chain brake. But I never got a chance to use it much.

90% of my chainsaw experience has been with a Poulan 4200....:popcorn::popcorn:

O.K. I know this is unfair...it is a Poulan thread...but I think you guys can give an objective opinion....Poulan owners are the salt of the earth...we have
suffered so much abuse over the years that we are beyond all that trivial my saw is better than your saw stuff.....we just put in gas and oil and smile...

So what are you asking stephen? It sounds like you answered your own question. Its all about personal preference. Asking if one is better than the other welllll:deadhorse: This is the Poulan thread. We post here cause these saws are our favorites. Most of us have other brands but we like the poulans best. I dont speak for everyone but id say that its a general feeling. Ill give you a good example. I was at my dealer today to get some fuel filters. I looked at the new stihl 391. If I got one for free id have it on ebay in a second and take out my favorite 64cc saw. The 4000.

Last edited:
I might have a trade for you if you want for a regular half wrap.....

The handle on my 5200 has slight bend or (warp) :dizzy: in it. I tried straitening it, is better but not perfect. I thought maybe if I could find one from a 5400, it might look & feel a little more balanced, as I think they are kinda pitched forward more. I was surprised they still list the full wrap. What ya lookin for Mark?
Gregg,

wow I haven't seen that, but I found a site that had the 7700 cylinders in stock. I am tempted to buy one just to have as a spare... but then wait a minute.....

I am 61 years old...my 4200 lasted 28 years and melted in a barn fire...ran like a new saw...my 4200 is puffing 180 lbs compression along with my 8500
How freakin long am I going to have to live before I need a cylinder...:hmm3grin2orange:

I love those Poulan 4000's even though I have never used one. They seem like just about the perfect balance of weight and power for the ultimate firewood saw. My 4200 seemed a little heavy but it never lacked for power.

Some day I will just have to own one. Yours are very impressive looking they look like new. Did you restore them or did you find them in that condition?

The last 4000 I did, was pretty much like new condition. The others I pretty much built from parts saws. The one that came today isn't bad either. Think I will just make it a "work saw" and keep the others back for fun cutting..LOL
When ya get this many, you start to have choices.:)
Gregg,

Not asking if one is better, I am sure they are both great tools. Which one will drop through a 16 inch red oak log with the least amount of effort by the operator. I made thousands of cuts with my 4200 but only played with the 036. I am just trying to figure out if I should have kept it. I suspect the performance was about the same so due to my familiarity I went with the Poulan. I was just wondering if my evaluation was far off the mark. The guy who bought the 036 had had one for years and it died and he was very happy to find another one. I just don't know anything about them. I have a nice 024 out in the shop that seems like a nice lightweight tool.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

A 036 pro vrs a 4200?

Yep the 036 is lighter, only 60cc and alot newer.

The 4200 is older 69cc and heavier.

Apples to oranges.

So what are you asking stephen? It sounds like you answered your own question. Its all about personal preference. Asking if one is better than the other welllll:deadhorse: This is the Poulan thread. We post here cause these saws are our favorites. Most of us have other brands but we like the poulans best. I dont speak for everyone but id say that its a general feeling. Ill give you a good example. I was at my dealer today to get some fuel filters. I looked at the new stihl 391. If I got one for free id have it on ebay in a second and take out my favorite 64cc saw. The 4000.

You got that exactly right Joe:rock: I have a 385xp that I use on big trees, and its a great saw, I would not get rid of it. But since I got the 5200, It has become my big wood saw..LOL Its not as comfortable handling or sexxy as the 385. But, It sure does put a smile on my face when I hear it and cut with it!!:D
Gregg,

Where do you come up with this stuff?

A 036 pro vrs a 4200?

Yep the 036 is lighter, only 60cc and alot newer.

The 4200 is older 69cc and heavier.

Apples to oranges.

Totally agree. I have an 036, and a Makita 6400 and many Poulans. The 036 and 6400 are about the same size, newer and higher revving than the Poulans. I'd imagine using a 20 in. bar they would be faster but if you get into longer bars not sure that would be true.

Back