Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not your bad, they are the same as a 306. I never found the smaller one for them either. :ices_rofl:

These are the numbers I have for them that were in a post sometime back:

Flywheel side - 05092TB = 471442 National

Clutch side -06081SM = 253747 National

I've got two sets of them sitting here in front of me. The clutch side is the smaller of the two. I'll have a heck of a time finding the post in this thread. :confused:

These are the numbers I have for them that were in a post sometime back:

Flywheel side - 05092TB = 471442 National

Clutch side -06081SM = 253747 National

I've got two sets of them sitting here in front of me. The clutch side is the smaller of the two. I'll have a heck of a time finding the post in this thread. :confused:

I'll check that out! I got a supply of NOS ones but this would be good to know.

I got an offer for My echo 370 for a guys Poulan 3400 now im all over it but the girlfriend isnt to happy. She is a tough girl but she doesnt want alot of weight, since she is kinda small framed. Think she would have a problem with it, with a 18" bar or something?

I don't know her but I would guess yes. She would be far happier with the 370 ubnless she enjoys a good work out.

The 3400 will seem like a lot more weight than the 370 and she will get tired much faster. It will cut wood faster and allow her to do more work in less time with a heavier saw making the problem even worse. The wood will be on the ground quicker and will need to be loaded. Any time you do the same amount of work in less time you are going to be working harder and feeling it.

the smaller saws won't allow you to work that hard and fast.

I figured i would throw a 16" or 18" on it. Who knows maybe she will love the vintage muscle!

She might. It probably depends if she is going to work with it or play with it. For work she won't like it, for play it will be fine. My 3400 shows close to 18 pounds hanging on the hook of shame, that is dry without fuel and oil. I think it is wearing a 18" bar. My smal saws weigh around 10 pounds. This is a huge difference for a smaller person. It would be like me going from a 3400 to something that weighs amost twice as much...say a 36 pound saw. I could use it but it would not be as much fun, or as safe. Once you become tired bad things can happen.

If you want vintage muscle get a 3700 or 4000, more saw with the same weight!

attachment.php

attachment.php

:ices_rofl: If a 3400 is too heavy for her, won't a 3700 or 4000 be too heavy for her also?????
The 3700 and 4000 are definately stronger....but in most cases that I have seen are CONSIDERABLY more $$$$$ too!

Mike

Hey Stephen your behind! :ices_rofl: I have a nice 3700 already, just building the poulan collection. Just spoke with John(ms460woodchuck) Helluva guy and we are gonna trade. The 3400 is CLEAN, comes with a old 16" poulan bar as well. Cant wait to get it!

With the bigger saws she really doesnt need to cut anymore, but i suspect she will want to cut a few times when we are out. I was extremely surprised how much faster it was cutting with a 60cc saw then a 40cc saw. It goes FAST! She does a really good job of loading the wood anyways, couldnt ask for more.

Last edited:
I have seen some of my friends try to buy things like motorcycles for wives and girlfriends, often they cannot overcome their own likes and end up buying a machine that the woman cannot operate safely. We have a hard time relating to the needs of people who are 6 inches shorter and 75 pounds lighter. She then dumps the bike a couple of times and looses all interest in riding. It is a shame because there are machines out there that would be a much better fit. I am pretty sure chainsaws are just about the same. It is a male/female thing. Take 6 inches off your height and 50 pounds off your weight and try to buy something that fits those parameters.

a 3400,3700,4000 would not be my first choice.

Yeah!

I know all about it!
I have a sawyer in training myself!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlPxvPZv65M&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlPxvPZv65M&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Mike

Yeah!

I know all about it!
I have a sawyer in training myself!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlPxvPZv65M&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlPxvPZv65M&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Mike

Must be nice, I can't get mine to do anything besides stand by the stove:ices_rofl: I let her run a little top handle echo once though and I must say that it went much better than the day she wanted to pull the motorcycle into the garage and park it. (NOW THAT WAS'NT PRETTY BY NO MEANS!!!)

That looks like a very good fit for the saw and the user. Light weight and good power. Very good match.:rock:

Yes it is a very good running little saw. My boy still talks about this little blue saw that he ran at the POULAN lovers GTG!

Yes it is a very good running little saw. My boy still talks about this little blue saw that he ran at the POULAN lovers GTG!

Damn!!!

That was a weekend to remember!!!

Yes I am very proud of my little heiffer, she is a pretty good woman.
I sure hope there is a Poulan lovers GTGII in the future!
I'd like to see Bradley again, I'll bet he is growing like a weed!

Mike

Bob, yes that governor does what you describe. It blubbers out of the wood as it opens and sends extra fuel to the saw. Once you hit the wood the rpms drop and the governor stays closed.

Thats why that saw has to have the H needle set in the cut.

From my experiance with those saws when everything is right is the L and H needle need set 1 turn out.

Seems the L sometimes needs about a 1/8 turn in from that, but the H should be really close to 1 out.

Sounds like the carb is set lean if it takes time to come back to idle. Either that or a air leak. Check the carb and reed adapter gaskets. Dribble some carb cleaner on them when running to check for a leak there.

I hate to quote myself but I have to. I need to correct the fact that for some reason I gave the wrong information here.

On HS carbs the H and L needels both need to be set at 1 1/4 turns out!

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking, but as I said before if all is right with the saw and the carb, your final adjustments will be really close to that.

Damn!!!

That was a weekend to remember!!!

Yes I am very proud of my little heiffer, she is a pretty good woman.
I sure hope there is a Poulan lovers GTGII in the future!
I'd like to see Bradley again, I'll bet he is growing like a weed!

Mike

Funny you mention another Poulan lovers GTG. Little Possum was just asking me about that, if we were gonna have another one.:) I would be more than happy to host GTG#2 LOL. I think we will aim for another in the spring sometime. Little early to try setting a date yet. Probably May or June. Sure did enjoy the first one!!:)

PoulanGTGgroup.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back