Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wooooo 2 bad a$$ saws there Mark! Ive said it before about those bars, but boy are they nice. And no i certainly wouldnt mind 2 like that.

Yes I was tickled to get that 25" bar, the other Windsor bar is a 18".

I would like another one or two of the Windsors in 20".

I missed a couple of 16"ers on ebay just last week. I was going to throw a last minute bid in on them but forgot about them. :laugh:

Didn't really need 16" bars anyway. Just got 4 of the original Poulan ones a short time back.

Right you are Mark. Not that heavy a saw. My 306A should be here this week.

Which one did you get Bob?

I have seen quite a few lately on ebay, some good buys as well.

Surprisingly I have seen some good deals on 245's as well.

Been kinda hard for me to keep my finger off the bid button but I'm pretty well set on these ones. :hmm3grin2orange:

The 306/245's are pretty much my favorites though.

Which one did you get Bob?

I have seen quite a few lately on ebay, some good buys as well.

Surprisingly I have seen some good deals on 245's as well.

Been kinda hard for me to keep my finger off the bid button but I'm pretty well set on these ones. :hmm3grin2orange:

The 306/245's are pretty much my favorites though.

One I got supposedly runs well but looks rather rough. Got it for $26.00. Had some nicer looking ones SA types, but not interested in self -sharpeners.
Yea, saw some 245a's. Still fiddling with mine. Found air leaking from the filter cover screw, thus was likely the cause of the slow return to idle. Fixed that and now saw idles way too fast even w/o idle screw in place. Pulled carb and believe I had inserted metering diaphragm wrong and it was keeping metering needle open(at least I think so). Replaced it and will see how it goes this morning. Saw is trying my patience!
Bob

Lighter than the 3400, 3700 and 4000 if I remember right. ;)

Yep. Not by much though;) According to the sales brochures, Poulan lists the 245 at 13lb. and the 3400,3700,4000 at 13lbs.8oz. Geez, I'm starting to sound like the Troll...LOL

The weight, or lack there of, is what impresses me about the 245. 73.4cc all metal, no plastic saw from that time period. New all plastic saws have a tough hurdle in that regard.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Yep. Not by much though;) According to the sales brochures, Poulan lists the 245 at 13lb. and the 3400,3700,4000 at 13lbs.8oz. Geez, I'm starting to sound like the Troll...LOL

The weight, or lack there of, is what impresses me about the 245. 73.4cc all metal, no plastic saw from that time period. New all plastic saws have a tough hurdle in that regard.
Gregg,

I know it's not by much Gregg but the 245 is still almost 10cc bigger than the 4000 and that is alot of cc's;)

Maybe you guys would want to see what I found out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know it's not by much Gregg but the 245 is still almost 10cc bigger than the 4000 and that is alot of cc's;)

Yep, I agree John:) I wasn't saying the 4000 is better saw or more powerful saw, just what the weights are, as listed by Poulan.
I have heard people complain about the weight of a 4200, when the same saw like the 5200 has more cc's, (power). They would take the bigger saw.

Weights of saws mean little to me. I don't have to carry a saw all day, up and down mountains.:D Just take it out of the trailer and cut, then put it back in the trailer when I'm done with it.

I just like all the older Poulans, for what they are. Heavy or not. Great power, reliable, get the job done performance, and not have to pay $600-$1000 plus to do it. :D That being said, back in their day, they weren't CHEAP saws either.

Gregg,

One I got supposedly runs well but looks rather rough. Got it for $26.00. Had some nicer looking ones SA types, but not interested in self -sharpeners.
Yea, saw some 245a's. Still fiddling with mine. Found air leaking from the filter cover screw, thus was likely the cause of the slow return to idle. Fixed that and now saw idles way too fast even w/o idle screw in place. Pulled carb and believe I had inserted metering diaphragm wrong and it was keeping metering needle open(at least I think so). Replaced it and will see how it goes this morning. Saw is trying my patience!
Bob

Cool, hope it works out for you. I know I have seen some bargins.

I'm going to restore this 306SA that I got here. Going to try to get it all original, got a roller nosed bar for it, and Wigglesworth is supposed to be sending me some new .325 pitch barracuda chain for it as well.

Still looking for a good Power Sharp clutch cover for it though if any of you guys have one to spare. I can swap out a non Power Sharp cover for it if needed.

Got ahold of Joe on the decals, should be getting some soon. ( I hope lol)

Yep, I agree John:) I wasn't saying the 4000 is better saw or more powerful saw, just what the weights are, as listed by Poulan.
I have heard people complain about the weight of a 4200, when the same saw like the 5200 has more cc's, (power). They would take the bigger saw.

Weights of saws mean little to me. I don't have to carry a saw all day, up and down mountains.:D Just take it out of the trailer and cut, then put it back in the trailer when I'm done with it.

I just like all the older Poulans, for what they are. Heavy or not. Great power, reliable, get the job done performance, and not have to pay $600-$1000 plus to do it. :D That being said, back in their day, they weren't CHEAP saws either.

Gregg,

I agree that they are both in a great line of saws. Not trying to pick on the 4000 at all.

I did something like that some time ago, (don't remember the results off hand):dizzy: with some saws, with bar & chains on, and fully fueled and oiled ready to cut. Give me something to do this winter. LOL
Gregg,

I try to do alot of them when working on them. Try to get a clean dry weight on just the powerheads alone.

Problem is I forget sometimes then get too lazy to dump the fluids and weigh them afterwords.

I just do it for me, so I have the first hand true info myself.

Even if my scale is off ( which I don't think it is, it weighs within a oz of what the post office scale does) it still shows the difference between saws.

I was somewhat shocked when I put my 8500 with the 24" bar on the hook of shame. It was right around 25 lbs with a little fuel and oil in it. It doesn't feel that heavy.

I used to run a 36'' on my 8500 and a 42'' on my 5400 and they were not light by any means but really no heavier than a MS660 and not near as heavy as a MS 880 that I ran the same size bars on.

I was somewhat shocked when I put my 8500 with the 24" bar on the hook of shame. It was right around 25 lbs with a little fuel and oil in it. It doesn't feel that heavy.

Stephen, I weighed a cleaned up 5200 and it was right at 16lbs PHO.

I have a 5200 that will undergo a complete strip, rebuild and restoration soon and I will weigh and photo it before it even sees fliuds.

Gregg,

Do you prefer GreggTroll or OhioTroll? :ices_rofl::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a good looking/running 245A? One in my local classifieds that is tempting me.

If its that one in the Ohio craigslist that I seen, I would say for sure its worth the $100 asked for it.

If it is you can proabaly do a little better then that in person and in cash.

It "looked" like a very good one.

Edit, is it this one?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2079168104.html

If I didnt have 4 of them already......

Last edited:
If its that one in the Ohio craigslist that I seen, I would say for sure its worth the $100 asked for it.

If it is you can proabaly do a little better then that in person and in cash.

It "looked" like a very good one.

That's it Mark....... about an hour drive and like everyone else here, I don't need anymore saws :dizzy:

That's it Mark....... about an hour drive and like everyone else here, I don't need anymore saws :dizzy:

Well I don't know about how much its worth to everyone, but it looks solid they said the carbs rebuilt so that sounds good.

The other thing is its a later model electronic ign model but like useal the outer tin muffler cover maybe cracked by the looks of the washer on it.

Not uncommon and repairable if not too far gone yet.

What ya going to buy for $100? Its been on there a few days so they may haggle.

If you could get it for a few dollars less you could always get your money back on it I would think if you decided not to keep it.

I'm a big help in controlling CAD aint I?:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back