Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to me 361

Scored a nice 361 over Thanksgiving. It pays to scour Craigslist if you're traveling to another city.

Externally the saw looks great for the age. Since I am relatively new to this hobby, I am looking for some advice. What is a good checklist to go through an old saw when you rescue one from the junkyard? Here's what I do, am I missing something?

1. Replace Fuel Lines/Filter
  2. Carb Clean/Rebuild
  3. Pull Exhaust to check piston wear

When I pulled the muffler the piston and rings look pretty scratched up. Nothing too serious, but warrants pulling the cylinder for further inspection.

Are P/C still available for this saw? What about rings, will another saw's readily available rings fit this saw?

I'll try to get some pictures taken tonight to show you all my new toy.

Thanks!

Well I don't know about how much its worth to everyone, but it looks solid they said the carbs rebuilt so that sounds good.

The other thing is its a later model electronic ign model but like useal the outer tin muffler cover maybe cracked by the looks of the washer on it.

Not uncommon and repairable if not too far gone yet.

What ya going to buy for $100? Its been on there a few days so they may haggle.

If you could get it for a few dollars less you could always get your money back on it I would think if you decided not to keep it.

I'm a big help in controlling CAD aint I?:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah Mark, you're a lot of help :laugh: I have been convincing myself not to pursue it all week, hoping it will just go away!

My wife has been very patient with me lately and my $25 281XP that has turned in to $200 plus in restoration. I don't want to push my luck to much. She does look on a craigslist a lot for kids toys etc. I'm hoping she finds something in the area so we have an excuse to check out the saw.

I'm gonna look and see if there might be anything she would be interested in over that way :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah Mark, you're a lot of help :laugh: I have been convincing myself not to pursue it all week, hoping it will just go away!

My wife has been very patient with me lately and my $25 281XP that has turned in to $200 plus in restoration. I don't want to push my luck to much. She does look on a craigslist a lot for kids toys etc. I'm hoping she finds something in the area so we have an excuse to check out the saw.

I'm gonna look and see if there might be anything she would be interested in over that way :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks, I do my best to help. :rockn:

Seriously, I know where your coming from. BUT YOU ASKED!!!

Scored a nice 361 over Thanksgiving. It pays to scour Craigslist if you're traveling to another city.

Externally the saw looks great for the age. Since I am relatively new to this hobby, I am looking for some advice. What is a good checklist to go through an old saw when you rescue one from the junkyard? Here's what I do, am I missing something?

1. Replace Fuel Lines/Filter
  2. Carb Clean/Rebuild
  3. Pull Exhaust to check piston wear

When I pulled the muffler the piston and rings look pretty scratched up. Nothing too serious, but warrants pulling the cylinder for further inspection.

Are P/C still available for this saw? What about rings, will another saw's readily available rings fit this saw?

I'll try to get some pictures taken tonight to show you all my new toy.

Thanks!

You got your list in the wrong order.

# 1 Pull Exhaust to check piston wear as those parts are NLA!

Rings from a 306A will fit, but there NLA as well.

The fuel line change on those are also a challange as the rear handle has to be removed to get the threaded fitting out of the back of the tank out to replace the tank line.

The carbs are easy, uses a RK-23HS carb kit.

Not bad old saws though.

parts for 361

might try Calvin Meadows @ CM small engines. He came up with a pawl spring fora 361 I have last year. Parts may be hard to find, think I seen some gasket/
seal kits on Flea-Bay last year.
There have been some AS threads recently about cleaning up pistons
when NLA, never tried it myself.

If its that one in the Ohio craigslist that I seen, I would say for sure its worth the $100 asked for it.

If it is you can proabaly do a little better then that in person and in cash.

It "looked" like a very good one.

Edit, is it this one?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2079168104.html

If I didnt have 4 of them already......

I thought for a minute about maybe trying for that one.:D Then decided I didn't want to drive about 300 miles round trip for it. Had it been an 8500, thats another story. LOL

:cheers:
Gregg,

You got your list in the wrong order.

# 1 Pull Exhaust to check piston wear as those parts are NLA!

Rings from a 306A will fit, but there NLA as well.

The fuel line change on those are also a challange as the rear handle has to be removed to get the threaded fitting out of the back of the tank out to replace the tank line.

The carbs are easy, uses a RK-23HS carb kit.

Not bad old saws though.

Good to hear the carb is easy. I think I can get away with polishing the piston and replacing the rings. Based on what I've read on other AS threads. Still need to see what the jug looks like on the inside.

The manual oiler looks like it is an added piece of complexity when taking the saw apart to get to the cylinder. Oh the joys!

Do you happen to have the 361 IPL oh Poulan Guru? :biggrinbounce2:

Good to hear the carb is easy. I think I can get away with polishing the piston and replacing the rings. Based on what I've read on other AS threads. Still need to see what the jug looks like on the inside.

The manual oiler looks like it is an added piece of complexity when taking the saw apart to get to the cylinder. Oh the joys!

Do you happen to have the 361 IPL oh Poulan Guru? :biggrinbounce2:

The manual oiler is no problem. Just remove the 2 lines going to it. Don't lose any check valves from them though. The handle will come right off after that. 4 screws after the carb is removed and one on the bottom left side.

If the jug will clean up, be carefull with the piston, only work on any grooves that maybe in it and only address any high spots on it.

There was a ebay seller that had 361 gasket sets so you may want to grab one. They come with crank seals as well.

"IF" I had any of that manual stuff I would need a email address. (wink, wink)

possible 361 service manual, may be 306 SA or ?

I have a scanned copy of a service manual I downloaded from a lead
on a thread last year. It looks like a 361 except it shows manual & auto oiling,
may be another model from that era. I would pass it on to someone with
broadband ISP that could pass it on, maybe they could ID the model, it was not on the document.

Oh well, too bad about them dawgs you wanted from Bailey's. I just sent the order in. Didn't see nary a dawg on there. :poke:

:cry:
Oh well, no 7700 for you.

Or my friendship :)
haha

I dont think troll as a bad thing, now ogre on the other hand...

306 is running, and trying to cut but its going to need a new chain

Last edited:
Oh well, too bad about them dawgs you wanted from Bailey's. I just sent the order in. Didn't see nary a dawg on there. :poke:

Hey buddy, friend ,pal, gramps, grumpy, old fart q-tip it's your most famous follower here. Once again you have got my butt out of a mess. I got a pretty nice looking $10 old school 306 manuel running today. The chain is shot to :censored: and of all the chains hanging out here not a one to fit it. So it's going to get a brand new Stihl half on it in the am.

You are the man the all knowing Steve. I don't care what LP or nobody else says about you I think you is the s:censored:.

That's the good news. That funny looking saw you brought down is going to make me crazier than I already am. But oh well life as we know it in Possumville. HA HA HA !

Hey UPS arrived today and my S25DA was in the box, talk about fast shipping, I won the saw on sunday night at 11:30. Anyway it's as described, as mint as you can get for an unused 35YO saw. Checked the fuel line and it was petrified, it broke into pieces just by touching it, checked the fuel tank out and the line was broke right at the pass through hole. If the dumb camera wasn't always dead i'd have a few pics up, well mabe later.

hmmmm

Hey UPS arrived today and my S25DA was in the box, talk about fast shipping, I won the saw on sunday night at 11:30. Anyway it's as described, as mint as you can get for an unused 35YO saw. Checked the fuel line and it was petrified, it broke into pieces just by touching it, checked the fuel tank out and the line was broke right at the pass through hole. If the dumb camera wasn't always dead i'd have a few pics up, well mabe later.[/QUOTE wanna trade saws i have a nice 021 i would trade nice 009 also???? what would you sell it for???? I got caSH to would you be interested in selling it for a profit?

ModifiedMark i have a quick question.

Did you weld up the whole outside of the muffler after your mod? Im thinking of doing it not sure if i will gain or lose anything. I was just curious what you did. Thanks

O ya and OhioGregg,

Thanks for that tip, about the grease on the little bearing on the clutch. I brought home some 5th wheel grease from work, seemed to take care of that screeching noise all smooth now!

Last edited:
QUOTE wanna trade saws i have a nice 021 i would trade nice 009 also???? what would you sell it for???? I got caSH to would you be interested in selling it for a profit?

Unfortionately stubnail, the saw is going to stay right here in Edison NJ, I love it and probably will never come accross a deal like it again.

*smiles*

Unfortionately stubnail, the saw is going to stay right here in Edison NJ, I love it and probably will never come accross a deal like it again.

Bro!!! I dont Blame you at all!!!!! you let me know now if you ever change your mind!!!! thats the saw of a lifetime leave to your son if ya have oone or daughter I will find me one some day if i had that saw ya would have to whup me to take it LOL great find for you bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *thumbs up*

Latest posts

Back