Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres my new poulan got it on clearance at farm&fleet
337.jpg

340.jpg

341.jpg

I previously posted in the swap thread, no luck. I need a starter pulley for my 4000CV. It has two pins rather than the normally seen toothed pulley that you see on the 3400 and 3700 saws. I'm trying to keep the saw as correct as possible. here's a pic

attachment.php

I have one, Go to the swap meet thread.

Here's my new(to me) Poulan Pro Super 380 that came in the mail the other day... can't wait to fire it up... ordered a 28" bar from Poulan for it, have to wait and see if it actually shows.

2537615860038709423S600x600Q85.jpg

mark
the bar studs on my 8500 are a lagrer diameter than those on my 4200.

not sure what that means but I thought that you might want to know.

You are the archive of this type of informatin

Thanks, it just means theres more then a couple thing different between it and the 5200.

I'm sure I said the other day that the studs were bigger.

Here's my new(to me) Poulan Pro Super 380 that came in the mail the other day... can't wait to fire it up... ordered a 28" bar from Poulan for it, have to wait and see if it actually shows.

2537615860038709423S600x600Q85.jpg

nvrs, Nice saw you have there! I too have a Super 380, and use mine all the time. I love it! light & powerful. I use a 20" on mine. I'm not saying a 380 won't pull a 28", but, that might be stretching it a bit.
:cheers:
Gregg,

mark
the bar studs on my 8500 are a lagrer diameter than those on my 4200.

not sure what that means but I thought that you might want to know.

You are the archive of this type of informatin

Stephen, I have allways wondered about the setup on the 8500. I have noticed that in listings for 7700, 8500, and some of the big Poulan Pro saws, like the 655 for example.

They list a 9.5mm Oregon D196 style mount for them. Where all the other larger Poulans use the D176 8.0mm mount on them. Not ever having any of the mentioned saws, I was allways curious to what they had on them.
Gregg,

heres my new poulan got it on clearance at farm&fleet
337.jpg

340.jpg

341.jpg

before you run it, richen the carb..and ditch the tooless clutch cover. Once you run it you'll know why. Watch the bar rise up every time you rev it. If you adjust the chain properly when you are making an upward cut, you will be binding the chain a little as the adjuster can't hold the bar.

It's a nice saw with a 16" bar on it. The 20" is too much IMO.

nvrs, Nice saw you have there! I too have a Super 380, and use mine all the time. I love it! light & powerful. I use a 20" on mine. I'm not saying a 380 won't pull a 28", but, that might be stretching it a bit.
Gregg,

Thx! :D

If the bar actually shows up here(Baileys said no longer available but Poulan direct said it still was in their system) it will be gettin a full skip chain and since it will only see pine, it should be ok(I hope...lol)

to big air gap???

so ive been workin on a sda25 did a coil mod with a coil from a 2000. cannot get the saw to idle right chain keeps running on or it stalls my air gaps a lil big bussness card slips in and out real easy and it starts harder then my points saw does????i did a few searches could it be a seal????? before i tear that up it seems like my air gap is a lil big can that cause this??? it also needs a duck bill but i have a cap with a good one to try also loosedne cap no difference maybe i should elongate my coil holes on the lil coil shoes see pic!

Stephen, I have allways wondered about the setup on the 8500. I have noticed that in listings for 7700, 8500, and some of the big Poulan Pro saws, like the 655 for example.

They list a 9.5mm Oregon D196 style mount for them. Where all the other larger Poulans use the D176 8.0mm mount on them. Not ever having any of the mentioned saws, I was allways curious to what they had on them.
Gregg,

Gregg, I believe the reason they went to those 3/8's studs on that last series of big saws was there were not many long bars (28"+) made in the D176 mount. Who needs a 8500 with a 20" bar anyway?

Hell, Poulan subbed out tons of bars to Windsor who never made a Poulan D176 style bar anyway. Thats why there were so many S clips put on them.

At least going to 3/8's studs elimintated alot of problems and you could always file out a D176 bar if you wanted it to fit the 8500.

If the bar actually shows up here(Baileys said no longer available but Poulan direct said it still was in their system) it will be gettin a full skip chain and since it will only see pine, it should be ok(I hope...lol)

Muffler mod that 380, keep the chain sharp and it should do OK in Pine with a 28". I wouldnt say that about hard oak or something though.

Nice saw BTW!

Gregg, I believe the reason they went to those 3/8's studs on that last series of big saws was there were not many long bars (28"+) made in the D176 mount. Who needs a 8500 with a 20" bar anyway?

Hell, Poulan subbed out tons of bars to Windsor who never made a Poulan D176 style bar anyway. Thats why there were so many S clips put on them.

At least going to 3/8's studs elimintated alot of problems and you could always file out a D176 bar if you wanted it to fit the 8500.

Makes sense to me Mark. I could never understand the want to use a 20" bar on a big saw either. I still might get a 30" for my 5200. It currently wears an old 28" Husky bar. :D
Gregg,

Makes sense to me Mark. I could never understand the want to use a 20" bar on a big saw either. I still might get a 30" for my 5200. It currently wears an old 28" Husky bar. :D
Gregg,

Well I guess I'll have to stand alone and suffer through the ridicule on this one!!!

:D:D:D I LIKE big saws with small to medium length bars! :D:D:D

Mike

Your right! I couldn't believe they would actually have a 28" bar for that saw. But they do show it, in stock, on the web site. Odd that none of the smaller ones are though. Maybe because they never sold many 28"ers for that saw.LOL
If ya get to cutting with that setup, I'd sure like to see a video of it.:)
Gregg,

got another question...

just received a craftsman 2.1 in really good shape chainsaw tonite ups got here about dark LOL.... its a powersharp i thought the powersharps were all2.3 its in really great shape new airfilter carb looks spotless all the right bolts screws nice chain its points ... as far as i could tell no spark i will post pics tommorow cant wait to get it running!!!!! its by far the best shape saw ive bought at a low price!!!! compression feels good to!!! it got dark so i have to wait till tommorow!!!! i have got to build a shop!!! .................................................................................
...............................................................................................update i see they did make one the power sharp seems to disabled i may put a normal clutch cover on it i think it would look better!!!!

Last edited:
Your right! I couldn't believe they would actually have a 28" bar for that saw. But they do show it, in stock, on the web site. Odd that none of the smaller ones are though. Maybe because they never sold many 28"ers for that saw.LOL
If ya get to cutting with that setup, I'd sure like to see a video of it.:)
Gregg,

I see Oregon and baileys both only showing up to 24" for that 041 mount.

I think he was going to modify a K095 small Husky mount. There still listed up to 28" on the Oregon site.

I understand, don't blame you. My understanding is they're NLA....Quick question,

Why would they switch to this pulley when they used the 3400 style pulley on the craftsman 3.7's? I've had four 3.7's and they all had the 3400 style pulley.

I've got 2- 3700's and one has the 4000 style recoil and the other has the pin type. Both have the 4000 type flywheel. I think Poulan used a lot of differant parts over the years.

Back