Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what are trying to do buddy?remove the clutch?

No, the flywheel. I read in the service manual that you "Lightly" tap the opposite side of the magnets and it just pops off.

I've lightly tapped and hit it pretty good still nothing......

Nope, but i guess ill try. That makes sense!

EDIT:

I tryed it still no luck.

Hold the saw up about an inch off the bench by the flywheel. At the same time position a brass bar on the end of the crank shaft (with the same hand). Then with the other hand smack that brass bar with a hammer.

At least that's how it worked on a McCulloch that had no way to pull the flywheel. Pointer from 8433Jeff...worked perfect for me.

got ya!!!

they say not to but i use a hammer on the the job for a long time... i back the nut off till its flush or a lil above hold it by the flywheel i took a ballpeen and ground the lil end flat lightly tap a few times and ive removed ten or so with no ill effects??? im sure i will get blasted for this but its worked for me or use an old nut also ... dont beat the hell outta it usually 4 or five small whacks and they pop up..... i dont hit the flywheel or the pawls just the nut...

Sorry guys. I posted this in the swapmeet and got nothing. Anyone have a top cover to spare for a poulan 3350,3500,3600, or PP336,365. My buddy needs one, and Poulan is out of stock.

That's why I said use a piece brass bar stock. This way the brass deforms instead of the crank getting damaged. I do the same thing with the nut but I would avoid hitting the crank directly with the hammer (unless you have a brass hammer).

cool

That's why I said use a piece brass bar stock. This way the brass deforms instead of the crank getting damaged. I do the same thing with the nut but I would avoid hitting the crank directly with the hammer (unless you have a brass hammer).

maybe a piece of copper tube beat flat would work like the brass yea next time im at harbor freight im gonna pick up a brass hammer think they carry them...i dont hit the crank just the nut and i dont beat on it like im out to kill her LOL i will try the copper tubbing on top of the nut see if that works also its pretty soft like brass!!!

Are you working on one of the micros or the 3400??
I put a screwdriver under the flywheel of the 3400 series and turn it to apply a little upward pressure to the flywheel.
Sometimes you will have to tap the side opposite the magnets 10-20 times LIGHTLY to ever break the seal but then it will pop right off.
I have also had to turn the flywheel and tap a few times then urn it a little more and tap.....just don't tap on the magnets.
I learned my lesson about beating on the end of a crankshaft with ANYTHING harder than a pillow!!!

Mike

Finally i got it off. THING IS CAKED! Probably gonna pull my 3700s now as well seeing how much crap gets behind there.

why?

Are you working on one of the micros or the 3400??
I put a screwdriver under the flywheel of the 3400 series and turn it to apply a little upward pressure to the flywheel.
Sometimes you will have to tap the side opposite the magnets 10-20 times LIGHTLY to ever break the seal but then it will pop right off.
I have also had to turn the flywheel and tap a few times then urn it a little more and tap.....just don't tap on the magnets.
I learned my lesson about beating on the end of a crankshaft with ANYTHING harder than a pillow!!!

Mike

why whats it do? mess up the seals?even if ya holding it in air? and the nut bein up seems to protect the threads,,,,id like to know

Finally i got it off. THING IS CAKED! Probably gonna pull my 3700s now as well seeing how much crap gets behind there.

I don't know why all are not like my Husky 65 flywheel. It has a felt strip embedded and the backside that touches the case. I have taken two of them apart that looked like they were ready for the junk pile and both of them look like new behind that felt seal. Nothing else I have pulled apart looks like this...

Ok how do i get the gas tank out? I've searched for screws cant find none but it still aint pulling out. This saw sure has an attitude, most not like the southerners:hmm3grin2orange:

Ok how do i get the gas tank out? I've searched for screws cant find none but it still aint pulling out. This saw sure has an attitude, most not like the southerners:hmm3grin2orange:

You have to take the ign switch out to get the tank and I usually take the lead off too. theres 2 1/4'' screws that hold it back from the flywheel

why whats it do? mess up the seals?even if ya holding it in air? and the nut bein up seems to protect the threads,,,,id like to know

The last one I beat on (with a brass mallet and the nut at the top of the shaft) moved the threads down the shaft just enough to ruin the threads in the nut when I reassembled it. Thinking I had just cross threaded it I took the nut off another saw and ruined that one too!!
It had actually "cocked" the threads down further on one side than the other because I wasn't able to hit perfectly square.
Just because you are hitting with a softer material doesn't mean that there will be no damage to the harder. Think of it like a semi hitting a car. The car will suffer the most damage but the semi will have some too.
I was able to run a tap down the threads and straighten them enough to make it work out but now I use the "tap tap turn tap tap" method or a puller.
It just isn't worth a ruined crankshaft.

Mike

Got the wire out still wont come. Is there any screws holding it in there from the other side?

Ok i he manned it and got it out. What can i clean it with? I really dont wanna use carb cleaner it eats the paint. Think i could get away with plugging the intake and exhaust with paper towel, soaking it in degreaser, then rinsing it off with the hose? Then maybe wd40 the inside real quick......

Back