Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i he manned it and got it out. What can i clean it with? I really dont wanna use carb cleaner it eats the paint. Think i could get away with plugging the intake and exhaust with paper towel, soaking it in degreaser, then rinsing it off with the hose? Then maybe wd40 the inside real quick......

I use Simple Green for everything now. Cuts grease like butter and doesn't hurt paint or decals.

Ok i he manned it and got it out. What can i clean it with? I really dont wanna use carb cleaner it eats the paint. Think i could get away with plugging the intake and exhaust with paper towel, soaking it in degreaser, then rinsing it off with the hose? Then maybe wd40 the inside real quick......

Damn Boy!
That's a chainsaw not a surgical instrument!

If you have to be that anal, I know Texans have duct tape.
Slap a little over the ports and spray it down to your hearts content.
Compressed air does wonders.

Mike

Port plugs

Or do this, then you can get it "real nice" (Cousin Eddie, Christmas Vacation voice). Notice the rubber gasket and metal bolted down over the ports in the clean picture.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I use Simple Green for everything now. Cuts grease like butter and doesn't hurt paint or decals.
Do you just rinse with a hose or what?
If you are working on the 3400 please tell me that you at least ran it 1st!
Havent put it in wood yet but i have started it runs great!
Damn Boy!
That's a chainsaw not a surgical instrument!

If you have to be that anal, I know Texans have duct tape.
Slap a little over the ports and spray it down to your hearts content.
Compressed air does wonders.

Mike
Haha, i just like my saws nice and clean! So if i ever do sell them someone will get a nice clean saw, and i hate working on dirty crap. Duct tape sounds good!

Do you just rinse with a hose or what?

Once you have the openings blocked off like this you can rinse it however I would imagine. I tried the duct tape thing but didn't trust that the hose wouldn't blow it off and get water inside so I went to the gasket/block move.

Simple Green, tooth brush, rinse, air hose, repeat...

What color should the engine/filter cover be on my 5200? Mine was missing, so the choice is mine.

Brad,

That saw had a green cover when it was new but the black looks good on there too.
Of course you COULD paint it orange and white if you think all those Stihls will be ashamed to sit in the same garage with a PRETTY saw!!!
No matter what color you use it will still run like one of the "Great Green"!LOL

Mike

The last one I beat on (with a brass mallet and the nut at the top of the shaft) moved the threads down the shaft just enough to ruin the threads in the nut when I reassembled it. Thinking I had just cross threaded it I took the nut off another saw and ruined that one too!!
It had actually "cocked" the threads down further on one side than the other because I wasn't able to hit perfectly square.
Just because you are hitting with a softer material doesn't mean that there will be no damage to the harder. Think of it like a semi hitting a car. The car will suffer the most damage but the semi will have some too.
I was able to run a tap down the threads and straighten them enough to make it work out but now I use the "tap tap turn tap tap" method or a puller.
It just isn't worth a ruined crankshaft.

Mike

I have two very rare, almost irreplaceable, crankshafts that I suspect were ruined in the same fashion.

Last edited:
Back